P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
John, all I've been told is they are a pain in the A$$ to deal with.
Guess that's the difference between a parts changer and a real gunsmith. Everything is fun and games until the part swap doesn't work as planned... 🤔

Sorry, I'll disagree with you. 3 of them are long time metal persons and ACGG members.

I bet I can guess who. Lol.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
OK then, it appears that this forum has a few fellers that can do it. Which one of you do I ship the parts to for the installation? Pathfinder, PM an address and I'll get it out to you!

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/19/23.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Butch,

I have had several Gentry 3-position safeties installed on various rifles, both on 700s and Mauser 98s, which have worked perfectly on hunts from Alaska to Africa. All worked perfectly, but were installed by Dave--who pointed out they have to be slightly modified for the specific rifle AND trigger. (By the way, Dave also offered me a job in his shop after I put together a 98 Mauser .30-06 under his direction--during which I found out why such safeties have to be adapted to specific actions. And D'Arcy Echols has found it necessary to modify plenty of Model 70 Winchester safeties for trouble-free performance, on both pre- and post-64 factory actions. Which is partly why he started getting his own Model 70 "type" actions made a couple years ago.)

Personally, if I were going to have a Gentry 3-position safety installed I would send it to the Gentry shop, which since Dave passed away has been run by his son Dennis, who started working for Dave while Dennis was still in high school in the 1990s.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
OK then, it appears that this forum has a few fellers that can do it. Which one of you do I ship the parts to for the installation? Pathfinder, PM an address and I'll get it out to you!

I can’t install one. Which apparently qualifies me for the guild. PM sent.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A lot of smiths that I know won't install them.

Is that for Remington's or others too.

I had one installed on a Sears Mod 50. The gunsmith who was working on it couldn't figure it out so Gentry did the job. Works as expected. I am now having Dennis Erhardt (Frontier Gunshop in Helena, MT) put one on another Mauser. I had asked him about other safeties but he said the Gentry is the best. His opinion maybe, but he has proven to be good at what he does.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I can’t install one. Which apparently qualifies me for the guild. PM sent.

I knew you would give a wise ass answer. Jim Kobe is going to handle it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I had one installed on a Sears Mod 50. The gunsmith who was working on it couldn't figure it out so Gentry did the job. Works as expected. I am now having Dennis Erhardt (Frontier Gunshop in Helena, MT) put one on another Mauser. I had asked him about other safeties but he said the Gentry is the best. His opinion maybe, but he has proven to be good at what he does.

Am not surprised by Dennis Erhardt's opinion. He's been doing great work for a long time--as did his retired older brother Arnold, who worked in Capital Sports' gunsmithing department.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
PT&G is out. Who else has them?

Out of stock or you don’t want one? I’ve eyeballed them a few times and wondered about them. Are they no good?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've successfully installed two on my own rifles. Experimenting with one I found that if using the factory trigger the firing pin HAS to retract back far enough for the sear to rise up so that there is sufficient clearance between the sear and the floating connector on the trigger. If not the connector drags on the sear and if someone were to pull the trigger with the safety engaged the trigger may reset but the connector doesn't. Releasing the safety on a loaded round gives you an earth-shattering ka-boom.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Am not surprised by Dennis Erhardt's opinion. He's been doing great work for a long time--as did his retired older brother Arnold, who worked in Capital Sports' gunsmithing department.

Arnold was a top natch guy, flawless work and stood behind what he did. He put together several rifles for me. I really didn't realize Dennis was his bother, I will use him if the need arises. I under stand Arnold still stops by Capitol Sports. I stopped to see if he was there on my last trip through Helena, but missed him. I hope he is doing well. He is missed, I'd call once in awhile to BS and he always made time to share his knowledge.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Switch,

Yep, I still run into Arnold fairly frequently, often at Capital but also just around Helena.

One thing I really liked about Arnold's gunsmithing skills was his extensive knowledge of older German guns--partly because Eileen and I have a number of 'em. He knew exactly how to fix 'em, whether something relatively simple, or more complex, sometimes involving making a part. Often he'd even thank us for bringing ours in, just so he could examine them!

One other rifle I owned for a while that Arnold worked on was an old Marlin 1893 with an octagon barrel that started out as a .30-30, but the bore eventually went bad due to corrosive primers. It came into Capital on a trade, if I remember correctly, and Arnold decided to rebore it, something he'd never done before. But he got it done, turning it into a .38-55--and then put it up for sale in the store, whereupon I bought it. It shot very well--but while talking to Arnold about the Marlin he swore he was never going to rebore another barrel!

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What about Melvin Forces 2 position, 3 function trigger? When pushed down you can open the bolt. Those are just modified timney 510s are they not? 100-120 bucks?!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,121
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.