-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The bench mounted one. First, those who have one, how do you like it? Second... can you skip the tube and hand feed one primer at a time if you're just making a few loads for testing?

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've used one for years, and really like it. In answer to your questions, Yes, you can can do both. You should keep an eye on how much lube, etc, is on your fingers while you load one primer at a time. It could cause hang- or misfires. Have fun...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Mavrick.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's my favorite priming tool. It is quick to load and use and gives great "feel" when seating primers. Yes, you can load primers one at a time if you wish. I've used several including the Lee and RCBS handheld models as well as the press mounted swing arm but the bench mounted model is all that I use now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is the only one I use.
Keep your fingers clean if you single load.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
It is always a good idea to keep one's fingers clean, but It's not all that easy to contaminate a primer.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In fact it's just about impossible these days, since most modern primers are very effectively sealed against oil and moisture.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have one of them and love it. Neither of my Lee Autoprimes have been out of their boxes in years because of the RCBS Automatic Priming Tool. And, as the others have said, you can load primers one-at-a-time if you want to. The feel is better and more consistent with the RCBS than anything else I've ever used.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked one up, mounted it today. Tried a few cases, I am very satisfied with it. I've tried several hand units over the years, and the only one I really liked was the original Lee with the screw in shell holders. When the handle broke, it was obsolete so I was out of luck. Still have the shell holders in case I see one at a gun show!

IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have one and it is as good as it gets. I like it a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The onset of arthritis, or maybe just the effects of some aging inspired me to look for something that doesn't require repetitive squeezing. I had used a Lee Autoprime and then the RCBS tool (which is much better IMO) for years with great satisfaction, but when loading up to 500 rounds in a sitting it began to bother me. I bought the bench mounted RCBS system and I think it's great. Filling the primer tubes is just a little tedious but not all that objectionable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would not be without one. They are really easy on arthritic hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Identify this piece

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The onset of arthritis, or maybe just the effects of some aging inspired me to look for something that doesn't require repetitive squeezing. I had used a Lee Autoprime and then the RCBS tool (which is much better IMO) for years with great satisfaction, but when loading up to 500 rounds in a sitting it began to bother me. I bought the bench mounted RCBS system and I think it's great. Filling the primer tubes is just a little tedious but not all that objectionable.
Same here, wore out a couple or three of Lee units over the years, and am not a fan of their new style. It got so hard to seat primers with my beat up ol' paws that I started looking for other units, and a friend let me try his bench mounted RCBS- SOLD!
No issues at all , and changing tube sizes is not an issue either, I have a small pick with a very slight curve that I push into the tube to get the primers above the hole, then slide in the cross pin.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Same here, wore out a couple or three of Lee units over the years, and am not a fan of their new style. It got so hard to seat primers with my beat up ol' paws that I started looking for other units, and a friend let me try his bench mounted RCBS- SOLD!
No issues at all , and changing tube sizes is not an issue either, I have a small pick with a very slight curve that I push into the tube to get the primers above the hole, then slide in the cross pin.
Cat

Man you do it the hard way. I fill primer tubes with the stop pin installed. Then i use that nifty tool posted above which was discontinued in 95-96.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Cat

Man you do it the hard way. I fill primer tubes with the stop pin installed. Then i use that nifty tool posted above which was discontinued in 95-96.

Well no wonder I didn't recognize it. That would be handy to have, and it would be easy enough to make one.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Identify this piece

I give. What is it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cat

I only bought mine a few years back, never saw that tool before. I do in fill the tubes with the pins installed of course- that would be crazy to inadvertently turn it upside down before putting it into the unit! LOL
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Identify this piece

I give. What is it?
So it's just a rod to push remaining primers in the tube up above the hole where the cotter pin goes? I only load enough primers for the cases I'm priming so pulling a tube with primers in it hasn't been an issue. I'd think anything that fit up inside the tube would serve the same purpose as the purpose built tool, wouldn't it?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,708
Posts18,475,359
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.