B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JD45
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve bought and sold several rifles that I regretted selling. The Winchester M70 .338 WM was not one of them. What a POS. Kicked like a rented Georgia mule and 3” groups about all it’d do. Good riddance.

Wow, sorry that I missed an opportunity on that one…..would have loved to have another one around the house! The .338 WM ( especially in a Model 70) is as near perfect as an “all around- do it all cartridge” available in a factory loading that can be had!

My wife loves hers…. another would be a good “loaner rifle” for friends/relatives when they come over to do a little hunting! memtb

Maybe WAM doesn't know how to shoot a big magnum?? I know your wife does well with hers. I've never found them all too hard to shoot.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I can't remember ever having a poor shooting 338wm either. Even the Ruger model 77 mkII's have shot lights out. And, honestly, if ammo is that damn expensive, the OP better learn how to load his own.
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve bought and sold several rifles that I regretted selling. The Winchester M70 .338 WM was not one of them. What a POS. Kicked like a rented Georgia mule and 3” groups about all it’d do. Good riddance.

Wow, sorry that I missed an opportunity on that one…..would have loved to have another one around the house! The .338 WM ( especially in a Model 70) is as near perfect as an “all around- do it all cartridge” available in a factory loading that can be had!

My wife loves hers…. another would be a good “loaner rifle” for friends/relatives when they come over to do a little hunting! memtb

Maybe WAM doesn't know how to shoot a big magnum?? I know your wife does well with hers. I've never found them all too hard to shoot.

I can't remember ever having a poor shooting 338wm either. Even the Ruger model 77 mkII's have shot lights out. And, honestly, if ammo is that damn expensive, the OP better learn how to load his own.

I found that my model 70 loves H4350 too. And with some bullets, Accurate 3100 will surprise you.

Good man. I didn't think anyone else uses AA3100. I've used that powder for almost 30 years. Lucked out and found an 8 pounder earlier this year. Paid $200 for it:

Another good powder is RL19.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM

Originally Posted by WAM

I found that my model 70 loves H4350 too. And with some bullets, Accurate 3100 will surprise you.

Good man. I didn't think anyone else uses AA3100. I've used that powder for almost 30 years. Lucked out and found an 8 pounder earlier this year. Paid $200 for it:

Rel 19 and 3100,two of my favorites in the 338

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM

I know where a XTR stainless in the tupperware stock is for under $600
Mine is a classic and it doesn’t shoot 3” groups. I was just doing 5 shot groups a inch and under using 210 partions and 210 Barnes TTSX

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes mine never seem to kick that much, mine is a Classic Stainless in a Brown Precision. The magazine box has been opened and the ejector and bolt stop changed and modified.
Ive used to take both deer and elk.
Originally Posted by WAM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Yes mine never seem to kick that much, mine is a Classic Stainless in a Brown Precision. The magazine box has been opened and the ejector and bolt stop changed and modified.
Ive used to take both deer and elk.
Originally Posted by WAM

Sounds like a damn sweet rifle. Similar to mine, made on a pre 64 H&H receiver though. Holds 4 in the mag box too. It's a pretty potent combination, especially considering how well it shoots.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WAM

Originally Posted by WAM

Where's beretzs at? He likes the 338wm as much as we do. That RL19 was the ticket for lighter pills. Like 210 partitions. IMR4350 is always a winner too. A 210 launched at 3,050 fps is a holy terror!!

That load with the 225's is pretty mild, as is the 250gr load I used to run.

Accurate as sheet and knocks the hell out of elk. That was a slow load with a 250gr Sierra gameking. Easy on the shoulder is a good thing. That's some of the benefits of loading your own.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a pretty long history with the 338wm and 340 wby. I use to think the 338 was THE ideal elk cartridge, but if asked today, it’s a pretty $hitty choice. Not because it’s not effective, it will hammer an elk but mostly because what I consider ideal has changed and it has not as much to do with terminal performance. Still have a 338 though, and 340.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/16/23.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
470 Evans will work just fine!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
NO.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM

Originally Posted by WAM

Where's beretzs at? He likes the 338wm as much as we do. That RL19 was the ticket for lighter pills. Like 210 partitions. IMR4350 is always a winner too. A 210 launched at 3,050 fps is a holy terror!!

Accurate as sheet and knocks the hell out of elk. That was a slow load with a 250gr Sierra gameking. Easy on the shoulder is a good thing. That's some of the benefits of loading your own.

Love the 338.. I have used 4350, 19, 22, 26, 17, 15, H4831, etc.. It's an easy cartridge to load for. Something around 200-225 and it's a pretty great big game cartridge.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by WAM

Originally Posted by WAM

Love the 338.. I have used 4350, 19, 22, 26, 17, 15, H4831, etc.. It's an easy cartridge to load for. Something around 200-225 and it's a pretty great big game cartridge.
I don’t remember why I stopped loading rel 22 in mine! Maybe i ended up with a bunch of 19 and 3100 is why. 4350 works for me also.

Last edited by 338reddog; 12/16/23.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Isn’t 3100 pretty close to H-4831?

I picked up a big jug of H-4831 at a gun shop couple years ago. Paid $189. I’m guessing that’s pretty close to their cost. And it was a couple yrs ago. Hard to not take it home at that price, even back then.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Isn’t 3100 pretty close to H-4831?

I picked up a big jug of H-4831 at a gun shop couple years ago. Paid $189. I’m guessing that’s pretty close to their cost. And it was a couple yrs ago. Hard to not take it home at that price, even back then.

DF

That's an excellent deal DF. AA3100 is very close to IMR4831 and H4831. It burns a little dirty, but it isn't bad. You can usually find a good load with little fuss with it. Just like my experience with H4831. I like the stuff, but really bought it for a buddy that I know will be bugging me for some powder, once he gets started in handloading his own stuff. I'm supposed to help him build a loading bench after the holidays. I've been buying stuff for him in anticipation to him starting his new venture. Should be good for him and an eye opener.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Before the introduction of more recent powders, I found RL-19 best in the .338 Win and Rl-22 best in the .340 Wby. As an aside: I've written a lot on .338 magnums, especially on the .338 Win Mag compared to it's nearest competition, and the most hits I've gotten on any cartridge is the .338 Win Mag. . . even recently.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like shooting my 6 BR at paper but if i am going after a big bear in Alaska give me a 338 Win. mag. in my Winchester model 70 s.s. which i own.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My .375 Ruger was a good rifle but it's gone, mainly brass and ammo were a pain, and there were small details on my Ruger guide gun I think Ruger could have done better. My .338 Win Mags [Tang safety M-77 and custom F.N. Mauser], and .375 H&H's [Pre-64 M-70 and custom Rem 700] shall stay with me forever. I can generally always find components or ammo for them, or form the brass from something else based on the belted case.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CZ550
Before the introduction of more recent powders, I found RL-19 best in the .338 Win and Rl-22 best in the .340 Wby. As an aside: I've written a lot on .338 magnums, especially on the .338 Win Mag compared to it's nearest competition, and the most hits I've gotten on any cartridge is the .338 Win Mag. . . even recently.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Seems weird as hell to me that someone would be thinking about trading in their 338wm for a 375 Ruger and that brass and ammo would actually be easier to find for the 375. That baffles my mind.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think my Ruger .338 will ever go anywhere. Darn thing shoots too well, and at this point has killed a lot of critters. I don't shoot it much, but when I do it hits where it's supposed to.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Getting rid of your 338 because of current ammo squeeze would be stupid. Getting rid of your attitude that 338 win mag ought to be as availible as a candy bar in a con store is what needs to go. You either start to reload or buy in case lots that simple. Times have changed but your not keeping up with a damn..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NMiller
I don't think my Ruger .338 will ever go anywhere. Darn thing shoots too well, and at this point has killed a lot of critters. I don't shoot it much, but when I do it hits where it's supposed to.

I love the Ruger m77 mk2's. I've had 4 or 5 of them chambered in 338wm. They were always great shooters.

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,472 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.