Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My old tried and true local FFL is no longer in business so I'm looking for a new one. My sister-in-law in Alabama wants to ship me a rifle that belonged to my brother. I know she has to ship to an FFL, but I just want to confirm that she can ship it directly to an FFL and doesn't have to go through another FFL on her end.

That's what the ATF website says, but when I called a local FFL he told me he thinks she needs to ship through an FFL on her end. He wasn't sure though because all his shipments come from dealers and he doesn't normally take shipments from individuals.

How about it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
meh , ive done me to ffl with copy of ID several times.....never an issue.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
https://www.shipmygun.com

Find an FFL that will accept from a non-FFL, other than that use Ship My Gun for easy mode.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What happened to Shall not infringe?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

I don't know, do they ship firearms?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Unless Colorado requires it; she does not need to go through an FFL. It is now FedEx and UPS POLICY to only accept from an FFL; so there is that aspect. She can ship USPS to your FFL no issue (other than the standard usps hassles).

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Here is what the ATF "Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide"' (ATF P 5300.4) says:

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31, 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

The section of the US Code governing modern firearms is called Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition (CFA). This code is available online: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/27cfr478_09.html

When in doubt, we suggest arranging for transfer through a licensed dealer. Violation of the CFA is a felony, and penalties for violation are severe.

If you do not have a Federal Firearms License:

Any shipper who does not have an FFL is considered to be an unlicensed person. Unlicensed persons must ship modern firearms to a licensed FFL dealer only. If the buyer is not licensed, they will need to make arrangements to have the item shipped to a licensed FFL dealer in their state.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you happen to be in Alabama for the holidays you can ship it back to yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Give it a whirl Commander Cut n Paste. Horatio Hand Wringer, News Desk Norton.
LOL
👍

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Gunbroker has a list of transfer dealers which is searchable by zip code. You may need to be a registered user there to access it. You'll find a list of FFLs near you with costs listed, etc. Since these dealers do transfers frequently, they will be familiar with the process and are typically easy to work with.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
You can ship it "to yourself " from state to state with no ffl required.
If your sister is comfortable with that.
Add insurance, the carriers dgaf about you packages even if they are labeled fragile.
I shipped four long guns this year with USPS , the cost ranged from $65-$180 and were insured for $5000-$7000 ea.
Using a third party label service (pirate ship , etc) to purchase and print the USPS label at home will save you 20-40% compared to doing it in person at the post office.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Unless Colorado requires it; she does not need to go through an FFL. It is now FedEx and UPS POLICY to only accept from an FFL; so there is that aspect. She can ship USPS to your FFL no issue (other than the standard usps hassles).

Last time I tried, USPS refused to accept ANY firearms related items! Pieces, parts or otherwise!

About a decade ago, I shipped a Handi-Rifle to Marlin through UPS for repairs.
I got it back directly from Marlin via UPS but had to sign for delivery.
NOTE: the UPS driver couldn't have given two hoots in hell if I was the addressee or not! 😜

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
NOTE:
We have a local business that "ships" whatever. UPS, FedEx and at one time DHL.
USPS would not pick up packages there.
BUT....I think it's whoever actually OWNS the shipping facility as to what they will and will not ship!
If the business owner is a raging antigunner, they won't ship anything gun related!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I, NON FFL, have shipped long guns through the USPO to an FFL, handguns must be FFL to FFL - USPS Rules......

If my options are FEDEX or UPS I don't do it.....

USPS never asks what's in the box...

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Last time I tried, USPS refused to accept ANY firearms related items! Pieces, parts or otherwise!

About a decade ago, I shipped a Handi-Rifle to Marlin through UPS for repairs.
I got it back directly from Marlin via UPS but had to sign for delivery.
NOTE: the UPS driver couldn't have given two hoots in hell if I was the addressee or not! 😜

Local post offices do not get to make their own rules. They are not allowed to ask any questions other than the "...is it liquid, hazardous..."

If you ship a gun to a gunsmith or dealer for repairs they can mail it back to you directly... and, should your gun prove unrepairable they may send you a replacement "in kind," which does not even have to be the same make or model or type.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
NOTE:
We have a local business that "ships" whatever. UPS, FedEx and at one time DHL.
USPS would not pick up packages there.
BUT....I think it's whoever actually OWNS the shipping facility as to what they will and will not ship!
If the business owner is a raging antigunner, they won't ship anything gun related!

Not the case on owners setting rules. Federal law says it has to go by "Common Carrier" which the local stores are not.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just went through this, I'm trading guns with a member here and he is a FFL and he said that I could ship my gun to him but he would have to ship his to a FFL for me to pickup...I just shipped mine through a FFL ,I just felt more comfortable doing that

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How ever you ship it. Package the he'll out of it.
They will try to destroy it !!!!!
Especially USPS

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yet another thread in need of bricktop.

Bottom line - yes, you can - USPS.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Traveler52
How ever you ship it. Package the he'll out of it.
They will try to destroy it !!!!!
Especially USPS

Correct.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.