Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good stuff as always. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I like to mount the scope forward of the charging handle, or flush with it. I just like to keep it easily accessible.

With the adjustable carbine buttstocks, it's no trick to attain good eye-relief from any normal position.

3-9x40 has pretty generous eye relief anyway, no problems with a fixed rifle stock.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This little 1.5-5x20 has been on several rifles, and no problems with eye relief.

5X prism from Primary Arms, with rifle stock,

Same 5X with carbine stock, and my petite wife,

PA 1-6x24 mounted flush with CH,

PA 1X prism with nearly unlimited eye relief,

Wifey using the 3X prism on BCM 14.5" SOCOM profile upper. The carbine stock is great for her and I swapping rifles.

Mixed bag of uppers in 5.56, 300BO, and 7.62x39, all with PA prism sights mounted,

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by kwg020
I recently mounted a 3-9 Nikon Buckmaster on a new AR upper I recently put together.
What is that KW? A +1" mount. You can get those in +2"-3" forward offsets. Looks like you could use a +3" like this Vortex mount - https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Cantilever-Riflescope-Mounts/dp/B00HYRGZ24?th=1
It's an Aero Precision lightweight mount. I just bought another one from Arms or Ally. I guess I should of looked a little harder. Another inch of offset would of been nice to have.

kwg
It took me a while to find that. My usual gotos - Leupold, PRI and PTG, aren't showing the +2"s & 3"s. The Vortex are fine though. I have them on at least one gun. It's no wonder people aren't getting what they need for these.

Politics is War by Other Means
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CopperSolid
The LOP takes precedence over all else - you cannot grow nor shorten your arms. Once you find your comfort zone, then you move the scope, accordingly, based on eye relief.

This^^^

I've got a MSR with a side charging handle, and an A1 stock. My scope is mounted far back for my very short LOP.
Well past where the Charging handle would have been.
Shoots just fine for me smile cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Stick, when you gonna break out that camera and post pics of you shooting that rifle???? We can't live vicariously if you don't post pixels.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the thread.

I rarely use my ARs and when I saw your recommendation, I checked how I had my Mark 4 mounted.

When I mounted it, I just set it on the rail for good eye relief. The ocular was just behind the charging handle, but eye relief was fine. I pushed the rifle away from my eyes and eye relief stayed fine and realized I could move the assembly to its most forward notch, putting the ocular in the correct position

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Same with the Mark 4 on my 6920 on the right, 6940 on the left.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/21/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Noticed on a lot of my bolt guns scopes are mounted more rearward than some. 2” or so to rear of the trigger. Works well for me.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/21/23.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mostly the power ring is directly above the bolt handle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, those are waaaay too far back.

Do you have a really short LOP?

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Less than average, 12 3/4”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain

The LOP that’s comfortable on my Sporting gun is 15 7/8”

😁

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The LOP that’s comfortable on my Sporting gun is 15 7/8”

😁
That’s some serious wingspan

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/22/23.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Back a bit on these rifles.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
On my ARs scopes even w charging handle.
Am 6 ft and avg build, so reg stuff usually fits me decent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The LOP takes precedence over all else - you cannot grow nor shorten your arms. Once you find your comfort zone, then you move the scope, accordingly, based on eye relief.

This has always been my approach and I've encountered zero issues. I dgaf if someone doesn't like how it looks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mr. Burns, very interesting topic and for the most part, very informative posts here. The only scope I have mounted on any of my ARs is the SWFA 1-4 and it's clearly not aligned with the charging handle. I know you were starting the topic with the AR platform but I'm wondering whether the reason to have the ocular in line with the charging handle has any applicability to bolt rifles, even though they obviously are missing the charging handle (I assume the rearmost point on the bolt would be the analog).

I took a look at the hunting rifles I have out awaiting an end of season cleaning and noticed that I seem to have a habit of mounting the scope so the ocular is pretty far back from the ass end of the bolt. I have no problem hitting what I aim at but I'm wondering if I'm missing something that might improve accuracy. And apologies for those who are triggered by foreign flags, I didn't want to redecorate the reloading room for a picture.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by minengr

This has always been my approach and I've encountered zero issues. I dgaf if someone doesn't like how it looks.

It is more that having the same position relative to the trigger on your rifles is ideal. It's not how retarded Stick's scope hanging waaaaay off the back looks (and it looks retarded), it's that other rifles he posts pictures of have wildly different positions relative to the trigger.

You'll notice he hasn't posted a picture of him shooting that rifle with that scope mounted in that position. That's what he always calls a hint.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by minengr

It is more that having the same position relative to the trigger on your rifles is ideal. It's not how retarded Stick's scope hanging waaaaay off the back looks (and it looks retarded), it's that other rifles he posts pictures of have wildly different positions relative to the trigger.

You'll notice he hasn't posted a picture of him shooting that rifle with that scope mounted in that position. That's what he always calls a hint.

Dumb question, but why have you latched on to this as your cause du jour? If I had to guess, there’s a good chance it was done purposefully just to garner reactions such as yours and that retard Burn’s…
Or maybe set up for a really small child to shoot?

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/22/23.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen
Mr. Burns, very interesting topic and for the most part, very informative posts here. The only scope I have mounted on any of my ARs is the SWFA 1-4 and it's clearly not aligned with the charging handle. I know you were starting the topic with the AR platform but I'm wondering whether the reason to have the ocular in line with the charging handle has any applicability to bolt rifles, even though they obviously are missing the charging handle (I assume the rearmost point on the bolt would be the analog).

I took a look at the hunting rifles I have out awaiting an end of season cleaning and noticed that I seem to have a habit of mounting the scope so the ocular is pretty far back from the ass end of the bolt. I have no problem hitting what I aim at but I'm wondering if I'm missing something that might improve accuracy. And apologies for those who are triggered by foreign flags, I didn't want to redecorate the reloading room for a picture.

Remsen,

My belief is the ocular, scopes with the same eye relief, should have the same relationship to the trigger across platforms much like the length off pull should be the same across platforms.

This keeps the eye/head and the trigger finger/shooting hand in the same relationship across platforms.

Fit can have an affect on accuracy but that can be worked around given extra time during shooting. Fit really pays off when going fast.

My good friend Kyle shows proper fit in this video on speed and accuracy.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/22/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Or maybe set up for a really small child to shoot?

Why would you handicap a small child by improperly mounting the scope. Adjust the LOP to fit the childs body size.

The fact you don't know that the stock is adjustable for different sized persons is telling.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 1Longbow, 49 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,770
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.