Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The stock design won't get any of my money.

MM
Stuff the guts in a Boyd's Hunter laminate.

Last edited by shootbrownelk; 12/21/23.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They made 22” SS Predator models for a bit. Stab that barreled action in an updated stock with a better DBM and there’s a Gen2 that actually makes more sense to me.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by JakeM78
More money for a rifle that likely still feeds badly.

My 308 American sporter was made in 2014.
Still running the original rotsry mag in it
It has always fed flawlessly. One of the smoothest feeding bolt rifles I have ever owned.

I've seen this assertion here before. Even in the "gunwriter section".

The plastic American rotary mag is the most frail, piece of sht, fkn garbage mag, ever made. I suspect guys haven't pushed the mag past their narrow, fair weather points of view.

Here's what happened with my rotary mag: repeated use with spicy recoiling 200 grain handloads in the 308 winchester, the tips of the bullets gouged the [bleep] out of the little Tupperware thingy. Would no longer reliably cycle.

Ordered 2 of the "improved" ruger mags from midway usa. BOTH mags bound up, before they were even put in the rifle. Too much flex from all the frail, flimsy plastic. Both were returned and I was stuck with a rifle that didn't work. The early mercan is not compatible with a ruger-supplied AI stock(I called them). So had to retrofit a boyds ai kit to the original stock.

I suspect this "gen 2" is simply a marketing ploy to cover the real reason for the change: Ruger was tired of the non-stop customer returns of a rifle that has a poorly engineered magazine. For example: Look guys! Twirly flutes! They have electrolytes! It's what plants crave.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I currently have 14 center fire Ruger American Rifles, 12 of them in the Predator style. The 223 and 22-250 rotary magazines don't feed as well as the others, but I'm not particularly demanding, as I expect to make the first shot count, making the rounds that remain in the magazine superfluous.

I don't live where there are any dangerous four legged predators and none of the black bears or mountain lions that I have encountered while elk hunting have ever done anything that would require me to shoot them in self-defense. If I lived in a place where encounters with dangerous predators were a regular occurrence, I'd opt not to carry a Ruger American. My 308 RAR-P has the detachable box magazine and feeds the 150 and 165 grain Hornady American Whitetail ammo fine, but to be fair it has been fired less than 100 times.

Another one of those different people, different scenarios, different requirements situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
The stock design won't get any of my money.

MM
Stuff the guts in a Boyd's Hunter laminate.

I put the Boyd's laminated Heritage style stocks on several RAR-Ps and although the handling characteristics were improved, the weight increase by a full pound.

Exercising 20/20 hindsight, I would just put Beartooth comb riser kits on the factory stocks if I had known then what I know now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

It has always fed flawlessly. One of the smoothest feeding bolt rifles I have ever owned.

The plastic American rotary mag is the most frail, piece of sht, fkn garbage mag, ever made. I suspect guys haven't pushed the mag past their narrow, fair weather points of view.

Here's what happened with my rotary mag: repeated use with spicy recoiling 200 grain handloads in the 308 winchester, the tips of the bullets gouged the [bleep] out of the little Tupperware thingy. Would no longer reliably cycle.

Ordered 2 of the "improved" ruger mags from midway usa. BOTH mags bound up, before they were even put in the rifle. Too much flex from all the frail, flimsy plastic. Both were returned and I was stuck with a rifle that didn't work. The early mercan is not compatible with a ruger-supplied AI stock(I called them). So had to retrofit a boyds ai kit to the original stock.

I suspect this "gen 2" is simply a marketing ploy to cover the real reason for the change: Ruger was tired of the non-stop customer returns of a rifle that has a poorly engineered magazine. For example: Look guys! Twirly flutes! They have electrolytes! It's what plants crave.

I currently have 14 center fire Ruger American Rifles, 12 of them in the Predator style. The 223 and 22-250 rotary magazines don't feed as well as the others, but I'm not particularly demanding, as I expect to make the first shot count, making the rounds that remain in the magazine superfluous.

I don't live where there are any dangerous four legged predators and none of the black bears or mountain lions that I have encountered while elk hunting have ever done anything that would require me to shoot them in self-defense. If I lived in a place where encounters with dangerous predators were a regular occurrence, I'd opt not to carry a Ruger American. My 308 RAR-P has the detachable box magazine and feeds the 150 and 165 grain Hornady American Whitetail ammo fine, but to be fair it has been fired less than 100 times.

Another one of those different people, different scenarios, different requirements situations.

What a load of crap.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The stock looks to be improved although I'd prefer a slightly wider forearm, and I like the adjustable LOP. But the 20 inch standard barrel length is a non-starter for me. I generally prefer 24 inch barrels although 22 inches is OK with me for some cartridges. If I hunted frequently in areas with lots of dense cover then the 20 inch barrel might make sense, but I don't.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The stock looks to be improved although I'd prefer a slightly wider forearm, and I like the adjustable LOP. But the 20 inch standard barrel length is a non-starter for me. I generally prefer 24 inch barrels although 22 inches is OK with me for some cartridges. If I hunted frequently in areas with lots of dense cover then the 20 inch barrel might make sense, but I don't.

I didn't even notice that the first time around on their site. The hideous looks detracted from the specs apparently. Yeah, they screwed up on that as well. Their reason is to cater to the silencer crowd. Not sure if the long action cartridges will have longer barrels or not, no specs on those yet.
So, choice is a Ranch with 16" barrel or the standard with 20" barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's sad, probably never owned a pre 64 model 70 (or any model 70 for that matter), Tikka, or even a m1917.

That's fair, my RAR is not as slick as my M70s and not close to my Tikka. That said, it is not "hitchy" like my M77s.

I've said this before, but I believe the cartridge (308) is a contributing factor. The geometry of that round with any remotely pointy bullet just wants to be in the chamber.

It is a bit disconcerting that despite having some pretty nice rifles, the RAR goes to woods with me more often than not. Mine is accurate, dependable and utilitarian to the extreme.

Good points. They are definitely utilitarian. My damn buddy keeps buying them, and then he invites me to go shooting. I install all of his scopes. Pull the factory rails off and blue loctite them, because they have loosened up on him before. Now he knows it's like my religion to blue loctite everything down and he follows suit, which is good to see. He had me put a thermal on one of his yote rigs (first gen RAR Ranch 223) the other night. All of his RAR Ranch rifles shoot very well. They are a little clunky, but they work. I think after watching the videos on the RAR gen 2, they appear to run a lot smoother than the first gens. Reports on how well they shoot would be cool. Maybe some of you here will get to do some testing with them and report back.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What a load of crap.

How so?

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I didn't even notice that the first time around on their site. The hideous looks detracted from the specs apparently. Yeah, they screwed up on that as well. Their reason is to cater to the silencer crowd. Not sure if the long action cartridges will have longer barrels or not, no specs on those yet.
So, choice is a Ranch with 16" barrel or the standard with 20" barrel.
You can do anything with a 20” barrel as far as hunting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What a load of crap.

How so?

I think the load of crap reference is in regards to not caring that the magazine feeds or not.

Unfortunately this further development of the RAR probably means that we won't ever see more production of the Mk2 or Hawkeye All Weather models. Those are the best in the Ruger line up. If they would update some twist rates and give a bit longer mag length, that would be about all a guy would need in a good hunting rig.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There will always be malcontent's.

Some would biatch if they were shot with clean bullets; others if hung with a new rope.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NMiller

What a load of crap.

How so?

I think the load of crap reference is in regards to not caring that the magazine feeds or not.

Unfortunately this further development of the RAR probably means that we won't ever see more production of the Mk2 or Hawkeye All Weather models. Those are the best in the Ruger line up. If they would update some twist rates and give a bit longer mag length, that would be about all a guy would need in a good hunting rig.

Bingo. Most hunters want a rifle that is reliable and functional and yes, even accurate. Hell, I want a mag that works, even when I'm out killing jackrabbits and yotes. An ill feeding rifle would not last long in my stable.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
On feeding and the AI mags:
I can't speak for the gen 2, but the original steel AI mags feed my mercan flawlessly. I set the depth of the bottom metal where the point of any bullet clears the feed ramp as the rifle is cycled. NO magazine system would feed better. That 3rd lug points downward when cycling. It gets a larger puchase of the rim than any 2-lug bolt.

These fkn window-lickers at Ruger were smart to just simply adopt the AI mag as standard.

I loaded up flat points, round nose, spitzers and hollowpoints. NOTHING caught up. Flawless cycling. Balance point is right under reciever ring, so the magazine doesn't impede carry at the balance point. Actually, the thin, round countour of the stock under the receiver, no other rifle carries as nicely. Feels like carrying a miniature savage 99 receiver. Comfy......

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Everybody bitchn about these gen II rifles feeding poorly. The only one released so far without an AI or AR mag is the 450 bushmaster model, I have never had any feeding issues for either the AI mag (223, 6creed, 6.5 creed) or the AR mag (223 & 7.62x39). I dont believe these new models will have any problem feeding from either style mag, the rotary mag models, if any, have not been released for the gen II. Even the single stack mag (6.5prc) feeds. Maybe just wait and see if there is any issues before condemning the damn rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stratton
Everybody bitchn about these gen II rifles feeding poorly. The only one released so far without an AI or AR mag is the 450 bushmaster model, I have never had any feeding issues for either the AI mag (223, 6creed, 6.5 creed) or the AR mag (223 & 7.62x39). I dont believe these new models will have any problem feeding from either style mag, the rotary mag models, if any, have not been released for the gen II. Even the single stack mag (6.5prc) feeds. Maybe just wait and see if there is any issues before condemning the damn rifle.

Well, it is a Ruger, so low expectations are warranted. It wouldn't surprise me to see them flute the inside of the barrel, rifle the outside and miss it during QC.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Wouldn't those flutes act the same as rifle, as long as the twist is right laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What a load of crap.

How so?

Doesn't matter, you're too stupid to understand that something should function, and too damn smug to imagine you might actually need a 2nd shot.

I'd be amazed if you ever killed a deer in your lifetime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What a load of crap.

How so?

Doesn't matter, you're too stupid to understand that something should function, and too damn smug to imagine you might actually need a 2nd shot.

I'd be amazed if you ever killed a deer in your lifetime.

My RARs in 204, 243, 260, and 6.5CM feed good enough for me from the original, first style, rotary magazines, only the 223s and 22-250s have had issues.

If I think that I might need a quick second shot, I carry a semi-auto or a pump gun. My preferred semi-autos are the Ruger 44 International or one of my Winchester 100s in 243 or 308. My black timber elk rifle is a Remington 760 in 270

I usually shoot between 8 and 12 deer each year in Nebraska and have averaged just over 10 per year over the past decade. My close to home hunting lease is within the boundaries of the River WMA, so I can shoot as many antlerless whitetails as I want to buy $14 tags for. Each River WMA tag is good for 2 antlerless whitetails.

However, I can remember the last time that I had to shoot a deer twice, that was in 2017. My first shot hit it in the empty space just below the spine and above the lungs, stunned it. I though that it was DRT, but I noticed that it got up and staggered off while I was field dressing one of the other deer that I had shot that morning. The bad part was that it staggered into 20' deep creek bed and I had to field dress it in the creek and cut it in half to recover it. I shoot deer because it provides me with an opportunity for me to try different rifles, cartridges, and loads. I give most of the deer that I shoot to Hunters Helping the Hungry.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 79S, 6mmbrfan, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.