Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 254 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 253 254
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gluckgluck4k
Originally Posted by Jackie_Handjob, an Internet Rando, contemplating her sad life
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Like a moth to flame.....or more aptly a hog to slop......the red faced drunkard can't help himself. Much like when he sees a lonely SF dude....lol

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I didn't read all of the previous posts. Can someone recommend a hunting scope for deer out to 100 yds. Thanks all.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bwahahah

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raghorn
Explain the groups ?…….

Simple

Every shot was fired with a slightly different degree of rifle cant

Since there is no bubble level, there is no reference to insure every shot is fired with the rifle in the same position

It’s actually a perfect example of why a correctly installed bubble level is critical for long range shooting

Notice how “groups” on the target get bigger as the “range” increases? Small changes in cant result in big changes at long range

The target is also a perfect example of why the scope should be mounted so the reticle moves perfectly vertically to the centerline of the bore

Assuming the vertical line is plumb, notice as more correction is dialed how the “groups” veer to the right of the line

The scope is turned in the rings

(To the left, counterclockwise)

Last edited by rcamuglia; 12/22/23.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Explain the groups ?…….

Simple

Since there is no bubble level, there is no reference to insure every shot is fired with the rifle in the same position

It’s actually a perfect example of why a correctly installed bubble level is critical for long range shooting

Notice how “groups” on the target get bigger as the “range” increases? Small changes in cant result in big changes at long range

The target is also a perfect example of why the scope should be mounted so the reticle moves perfectly vertically to the centerline of the bore

Assuming the vertical line is plumb, notice as more correction is dialed how the “groups” veer to the right of the line

Pretty sure I already said that.

Someone is going to get a great deal on a broken Leupold.

Last edited by Jimmypop; 12/23/23.

Love Ksmïthïnhïzzër/fląvöřÐ.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Certainly the reticle isn't canted.....

This is typical of reupold

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/23/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Interesting...........

Ovino Expedition hunting videos.
Usually a Blaser w a Swaro on top.

Recent vids...........Bushnell.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Of course it is canted in relationship to the action and center of the bore or he wouldn’t have had those results

The guy doesn’t even show how he mounted the scope, degree of precision that the action was leveled first (he doesn’t even level the action), degree of precision the scope was mounted to the leveled action.

After mounting a scope that you have done your best with, all you know is what you see statically. The crosshairs may appear to be perfectly plumb to your plumb line.

The only way to know if you’ve done it right is:

1. Shoot the tall target test and make adjustments by turning the scope in the rings if impacts veer off plumb

2. Run the scope through its entire travel while the perfectly leveled barreled action is rigidly held in a fixture and visually confirming that the reticle tracks perfectly plumb along the line all the way up and down

I’m sure Leupold laughed at him when they received the scope for repair since the entire problem was his pitiful scope mount

Last edited by rcamuglia; 12/23/23.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
A video version as half assed as the original half assed test above. Lol.

Maybe they should collaborate and build a "winner".

Last edited by KenMi; 12/23/23.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Just because it's an a-hole who says or writes something doesn't in and of itself mean it's wrong. You can be a total a-hole and still be correct. I know as I was correct one time.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the groups ?…….

Simple

When doing a TTT, it’s pretty easy to align the reticle with the plumb line, which mitigates any horizontal POI variation at a fixed distance that is caused by a scope not being mounted square with the bore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the groups ?…….
That is true as the actual distance increases. Since the TTT is done at a fixed distance, as long as the reticle is aligned with the plumb line, any windage offset should remain constant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Explain the groups ?…….
That is true as the actual distance increases. Since the TTT is done at a fixed distance, as long as the reticle is aligned with the plumb line, any windage offset should remain constant.

“If” the reticle was aligned consistently shot to shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

After mounting a scope that you have done your best with, all you know is what you see statically. The crosshairs may appear to be perfectly plumb to your plumb line.

The only way to know if you’ve done it right is:

1. Shoot the tall target test and make adjustments by turning the scope in the rings if impacts veer off plumb

2. Run the scope through its entire travel while the perfectly leveled barreled action is rigidly held in a fixture and visually confirming that the reticle tracks perfectly plumb along the line all the way up and down
1. Doesn’t test how the scope is mounted, but rather misalignment between the reticle and the erector axis.
2. With the rifle perfectly level, this ensures that the reticle is square to the bore if the reticle is alignd with the plumb line. The tracking part tests alignment between the reticle and the erector.

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 12/23/23. Reason: Added clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the groups ?…….

“If” the reticle was aligned consistently shot to shot.
Yup. 👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the groups ?…….

Not true

A slight cant angle at 50 yards shooting with 1 mil dialed and the impact slightly above the POA is magnified greatly if the is the same slight cant angle and a shot is fired with 20 mils in the erector and the impact waaay above the POA

It’s how angles work

Last edited by rcamuglia; 12/23/23. Reason: Ly

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the reticle is plumb to a plumb-bob, it doesn't matter if the scope was mounted canted in the rings. The problem with many scopes, Leupold included, is that the reticle itself is canted; therefore tracking and the barrel itself aren't aligned. Therefore, tracking will drift regardless. I have one Mark 6 that has the same problem and Leupold gave me hell trying to get it repaired. Leupold tried to tell me I didn't know what I was doing, told me it was the rifle, pulled the gas lighting, etc. I used to be a precision rifle instructor and have done well in many precision rifle matches (yes, even top 20 at some national-level matches). Incompetence wasn't the problem.

The deviation was off such that around 900 yards, shooting with a level, my tracking would begin to drift. I put one of my S&B PM-IIs on the gun and tracking issues went away and I could shoot the rifle out to around a mile without issue.

They promised to replace the scope after the third trip back, but they didn't. They replaced the erector system and reticle. It seems to be better than it had been, but I have it on a rifle that is relatively short-range now. I have another Mark 6 that was fine from day one. When the Leupold scopes work, they are a pleasure with light weight and good glass.

Last edited by drop_point; 12/23/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Explain the groups ?…….

Not true

A slight cant angle at 50 yards shooting with 1 mil dialed and the impact slightly above the POA is magnified greatly if the is the same slight cant angle and a shot is fired with 20 mils in the erector and the impact waaay above the POA

It’s how angles work
You’re describing the scope being canted relative to the plumb line. In which case, you’re right.

I’m describing the scope reticle and erector aligned with the plumb line, but the bore offset horizontally due to the scope being mounted out of square with the bore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point
If the reticle is plumb to a plumb-bob, it doesn't matter if the scope was mounted canted in the rings.
This will result in a horizontal offset that increases with distance.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point
If the reticle is plumb to a plumb-bob, it doesn't matter if the scope was mounted canted in the rings.
This will result in a horizontal offset that increases with distance.

Absolutely, it will. Providing that means it was also offset to the bore. Which came first? The drift from reticle misalignment to the bore, or the drift from reticle misalignment to the erector?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Page 11 of 254 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 253 254

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 3,260 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,307
Posts18,526,126
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.