Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I heard some of the asylum seekers are trying to infiltrate Amish communities.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunzo
Just north of Holmes Co. is Lehmans, a hardware store in Kidron. They use to call it the non electric store. They specialize in goods for the Amish. Have wanted to go, but too far just to look at high priced pioneer tools but it's got to be a neat place.

www.lehmans.com

Didn't know they had salmon, cod, and shrimp in Amish country.

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m only about 25 mins outside of Lancaster PA and Stoltzfus and Martin are the majority of the Amish/Mennonite last names in our area.

Last edited by Motown; 12/23/23.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Motown
I’m only about 25 mins outside of Lancaster PA and Stoltzfus and Martin is the majority of the Amish/Mennonite last names in our area.
I quail hunted with Brothers Stoltzfus and Martin one Thanksgiving Eve Eve.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by gregintenn
We have more mennonites than Amish around here. You have to dodge the horsechit in the road, and there won’t be a deer within 10 miles of where ever they throw out anchor. Other than that, they aren’t really a problem.

The only Amish guy I know runs a furniture store in town. He drives a new 3/4 ton GMC diesel. We bought an oak table and chairs from him. He delivered it by himself. The table was so heavy I could barely handle my end. The chairs are even hard to pick up. I’ve no idea how he’d planned to get it in the house himself if there hadn’t been someone here to help, but I guess he had a plan.

They make some nice furniture.

I can't figure out what is allowed and not allowed. I'm pretty sure a 3/4 GMC diesel isn't part of the Amish plan though

I'm not sure this guy is a Shiite Amish.

The mennonites around here are all horse and buggy. There's a different outfit up in Kentucky who drive vehicles, but only black ones. I don't even try and understand them.

My kid stayed a couple of weeks with his buddy on his grandpa's ranch in Wyoming. He came back telling about a mennonite fella who worked on the ranch. He'd come there and stay all week, drink, smoke, drive trucks, tractors, etc., then go home and be a mennonite on the weekends.

Last edited by gregintenn; 12/23/23.
IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was telling my wife some of the comments on here

She's all put out with the Amish now, especially the Maw Yoder buying jelly in bulk

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's a Yoder farm/market outfit over towards Sparta. Yoder must be Amish for WalMart or something.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went to an Amish store in Ohio, Lehman's. I think.
They have everything for Amish and country folks.
A huge livestock auction was on across the street.

There is a Yoder's restaurant and market in Sarasota, Fl., lots of Amish and Mennonite 's winter there.

Last edited by TBREW401; 12/23/23.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ditto in spades on the way they treat their animals. Makes one want to hook their ass to one of those buggies and then leave them in the heat.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In all fairness, I've known some good examples of Amish and Mennonites. I went to school with twin Mennonite girls and about 7th Grade I was smitten with the prettiest one.. They are, like me, old and married now and they are still fine ladies. Their brother is a complete weasel to the point his own kind rejects him.

One of the best farriers I ever had was a horse & buggy, non driving Amish. I had to go pick him up and take him back, but he was worth the trouble. He'd have me stop at the stab & grab on the way home so he could buy a half gallon of cheap whiskey. He was quite the character and I miss him. He got laid up in a horse wreck and had to quit trimming.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/23/23.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One word.

Sweet Lebanon bologna.

-#woooo-weeeee

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gregintenn
The mennonites around here are all horse and buggy. There's a different outfit up in Kentucky who drive vehicles, but only black ones. I don't even try and understand them.

If it is a device that will somehow help them make money, then the Lord approves.

That's pretty much it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There's quite a few around me, I'm about a hour north of Clare. Most horse and buggy, or peddle bikes. They don't follow game laws, and are big hunters and use hi powered rifles, even in shotgun only areas!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
there used to be a restaurant called the Der Dutchman. i had coffee there for 25 years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Visit Holmes and surrounding area often. Lots to see on “the strip”. Real deal is off the beaten path. Lots of individuals on the back roads who have a simple shingle hung on the road.

If you return spend a day driving around. Couple of good gun/sporting stores, leather works, furniture, hardware and lumber shops.

In general, Mt. Hope, Charm, and Farmerstown come to mind. Often though we just explore and enjoy the scenery. Mt Hope has a dandy auction on Wednesdays I think. Livestock, produce etc…. . Also a Lehman’s store. Charm has Kiem Lumber, a leather goods store and a small sporting goods store. Farmerstown has a great furniture store and some large antique shops. Just a few I can think of.

Close by is Massillon OH home of Dawson’s. Small shop that caters to shotgunners and reloading. Regular stop for me.

Whole area is full of things to do, see and buy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ahh the rust belt....a complete s hithole.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ring3
Visit Holmes and surrounding area often. Lots to see on “the strip”. Real deal is off the beaten path. Lots of individuals on the back roads who have a simple shingle hung on the road.

If you return spend a day driving around. Couple of good gun/sporting stores, leather works, furniture, hardware and lumber shops.

In general, Mt. Hope, Charm, and Farmerstown come to mind. Often though we just explore and enjoy the scenery. Mt Hope has a dandy auction on Wednesdays I think. Livestock, produce etc…. . Also a Lehman’s store. Charm has Kiem Lumber, a leather goods store and a small sporting goods store. Farmerstown has a great furniture store and some large antique shops. Just a few I can think of.

Close by is Massillon OH home of Dawson’s. Small shop that caters to shotgunners and reloading. Regular stop for me.

Whole area is full of things to do, see and buy.

I went thru Charm, it was a pleasant little area

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aint a boomer been born that can resist gen-you-ine Amish crafted oak furniture. Visions of Levi working in the barn by candle light with plane and chisel.

Spoiler alert - the electricity can't come from the grid...diesel generator is A-Okay. They divy up product lines amongst the community...this shop does dining sets. Next over turns out bedroom sets. Next one over the roll top desk pimp daddy. All traditional like, complete with the scream of jointers, planers, cabinet saws and pneumatic sanders.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
In my Area Amish to not drive motor vehicles. Mennonites are different, I have seen Horse & Buggy Mennonites, Black Car Mennonites, as well as Pastel Car Mennonites. Amish and Mennonites can be hard to tell apart. In my area Amish do not have electricity in the home, Mennonites do.

We have lots of Amish saw mills in my area, they hire locals to drive the Loaders, etc. The cabinet maker has a diesel stationary engine running a drive shaft that runs the length of his shop under the floor. All the wood working equipment runs off belts. The cabinet shop is also the Buggy Shop. He ran me through the process used to make wheels a while back. That was interesting. They order things like the Hubs and Spokes from other shops.

I work three days a week at an old time hardware store. Most of the Amish in the area trade with us. We still sell nails by the pound, weighed on the same scales since June 12 1940 when the store opened. They hire a driver to take them to town. Businesses in the small town closer to where they live have places to tie up the horses.

All of them that I am around are good people.

Bob R

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 30 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.