Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
For years, I have used a pair of the Past shooting gloves, now no longer available, for shooting my FA .454 Casulls. In more recent times, I have added a Ruger SBH .480 Ruger, a SRH .480, and a BFR .475 Linebaugh. After using the gloves for many years, they are beginning to get a bit worn. I have tried some other options as replacements, but none offer the same palm and thumb web protection that the Past offers.
Are there any good recoil gloves out there, similar to the Past, that are fingerless? I have tried pairs of the Pro Aim, and Ironclad gloves, which sort of work, but don't give the same protection that the Past gloves offer. There are lots of full finger models, but I really like the ability to feel the trigger pull with an ungloved finger when hunting.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I just dug out a Cabelas fingerless & it does have an extra layer of protection for the back of the middle finger. Base of the thumb & palm padding is just a double layer of thin leather. Bought a couple pair of weight lifting gloves, & they didn't protect the middle finger from the trigger guard. (bought there before BP bought them & cheapened everything) beware.

Otherwise, I haven't seen anything better & nothing compares with the Past IMO. I have a pair of those, but out grew them. They spoiled us.

Back to old school I guess,,, find suitable work gloves, maybe insulated that would offer extra padding & whack off one finger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For heavy recoiling handguns you really need a thick pad that covers the palm and goes over the heel of the shooting hand, plus covers the web. If you do not cover the palm and heel both you expose the nerve that runs through the palm and heel to permanent damage. Been there, done that, have the surgery scars as a reminder.
Past gloves and the five shown in that ad have no such padding and are half adz at the very best for heavy recoil handgun use.

Best advice is to keep looking.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just use motorcycle riding gloves.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

HD Men's Patriot Fingerless Gloves

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rapier
For heavy recoiling handguns you really need a thick pad that covers the palm and goes over the heel of the shooting hand, plus covers the web. If you do not cover the palm and heel both you expose the nerve that runs through the palm and heel to permanent damage. Been there, done that, have the surgery scars as a reminder.
Past gloves and the five shown in that ad have no such padding and are half adz at the very best for heavy recoil handgun use.

Best advice is to keep looking.

Any recommendations?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (16gage, 117LBS, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,494,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.