Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Relocating to The Greenville SC area. Looking to be north of Greenville. For those in the area, what town/city would be best for a retired couple who doesn’t have to travel everyday for work. Travelers Rest, Taylor’s, Greer, Campobello, Boiling Springs, Landrum? Want to be in the country with maybe an acre lot. Deer hunting and Golf are priorities. Thanks in advance.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simpsonville, little SE of Greenville.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Cowpens.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Pickens

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by lightning
Relocating to The Greenville SC area. Looking to be north of Greenville. For those in the area, what town/city would be best for a retired couple who doesn’t have to travel everyday for work. Travelers Rest, Taylor’s, Greer, Campobello, Boiling Springs, Landrum? Want to be in the country with maybe an acre lot. Deer hunting and Golf are priorities. Thanks in advance.

Are you going to be what is referred to around here as a “halfback?”

Retired, moved from up north to Florida. Florida was too hot, so now you’re moving half-way back?

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll find a lot of difference in the smaller towns up that way. You’ll just have to go check it out yourself.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by cra1948
[quote=lightning]Relocating to The Greenville SC area. Looking to be north of Greenville. For those in the area, what town/city would be best for a retired couple who doesn’t have to travel everyday for work. Travelers Rest, Taylor’s, Greer, Campobello, Boiling Springs, Landrum? Want to be in the country with maybe an acre lot. Deer hunting and Golf are priorities. Thanks in advance.

Retired, moved from up north to Florida. Florida was too hot, so now you’re moving half-way back?

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll find a lot of difference in the smaller towns up that way. You’ll just have to go check it out yourself.[/quote

You are correct cra. Been here for 9+ years, and been trying to talk the wife into moving to a “Four” seasons area for about the last 5 years. Narrowed in down to The Tri cities area of NE Tenn, or the Greenville area. We visited both areas last month and decided on Greenville. We have looked at homes in all the towns I have listed, but was looking for local knowledge of areas to avoid.
I like the area a little further north, as in Tigerville, Campobello, Mayo etc. We’ll be making another trip up the 2nd week of Jan to meet with our realtor again, and hopefully narrow it down to a specific town or property.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
[quote=lightning]Relocating to The Greenville SC area. Looking to be north of Greenville. For those in the area, what town/city would be best for a retired couple who doesn’t have to travel everyday for work. Travelers Rest, Taylor’s, Greer, Campobello, Boiling Springs, Landrum? Want to be in the country with maybe an acre lot. Deer hunting and Golf are priorities. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll find a lot of difference in the smaller towns up that way. You’ll just have to go check it out yourself.[/quote

You are correct cra. Been here for 9+ years, and been trying to talk the wife into moving to a “Four” seasons area for about the last 5 years. Narrowed in down to The Tri cities area of NE Tenn, or the Greenville area. We visited both areas last month and decided on Greenville. We have looked at homes in all the towns I have listed, but was looking for local knowledge of areas to avoid.
I like the area a little further north, as in Tigerville, Campobello, Mayo etc. We’ll be making another trip up the 2nd week of Jan to meet with our realtor again, and hopefully narrow it down to a specific town or property.

It appears that our climate is dooming our existence.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

It appears that our climate is dooming our existence.

Global warming now responsible for retirees moving.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lightning,

My wife is from the Spartanburg area and most of her family still live in the area; I am familiar with most of the towns listed in your post, but I'll pick her brain later this morning for some details.

Your housing dollars will go much further in Eastern TN and Upstate SC. TN has no state income tax like FL so that's a plus.

We moved back to Carolina over six years ago from the Tampa Bay area with no regrets; the old Florida that I knew from the late 70's and early 80's is a distant memory.

When we had the chance to move to the NW corner of NC it was a quick conversation; we have since fallen in love with the area (Ashe, Avery and Watauga counties) and this is now home, no more PCS moves for us.

I have no desire to ever leave the NC "High Country" but spots in Upstate SC would be no hardship.

Good luck in finding the right spot for your family.

Feel free to drop me a PM.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out Travelers Rest. Nice town, lots to do, not far from Greenville, close to lots of golf and hunting.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Check out the Dark Corner over around Clemson and Pickens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not from there, but it would my area of choice in SC to retire. Good luck.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks to StarchedCover and his wife for a lot of valuable info on the surrounding areas north of Greenville.
Ackleyman, Travelers rest is my wife’s first choice, but not a lot of homes for sale there, at least what we’re looking for.
LouieM, I like Pickens a lot, but again not a lot of homes for sale there.
Thanks for the replies. We’re making another trip up on the 13th of Jan for 3-4 days. Hoping to find something we like and make an offer.

Thanks to everyone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,482,003
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.