Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Brad
Very nice Scotty... glad to see some of Bob's stuff has gone to the right home.

Yep, that's wonderful!

I had parts destined to become a .280 and in the gunsmith's shop at the time of Bob's passing. Brakes on project were halted and new .277 barrel ordered as a tip-of-the-cap to our friend.

Karma laugh
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm sure that Bob is smiling down on that decision & that he would be very pleased.....................nice tribute to a friend that you will always remember when you handle that rifle.

Damn nice buck too.......................

MM

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All great stuff fellas. I really enjoyed BS’in with Bob. He was a helluva gentlemen and a maniac about good rifles and good deer.

I had the chance to get his Mashburn Simillion made but since I already have one I declined. I have the 7 Rem Brownell though which is a fantastic, out of my league hunting rifle. Accurate and the best fitting rifle I could ask for, that wasn’t made for me.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Brad
Very nice Scotty... glad to see some of Bob's stuff has gone to the right home.

Yep, that's wonderful!

I had parts destined to become a .280 and in the gunsmith's shop at the time of Bob's passing. Brakes on project were halted and new .277 barrel ordered as a tip-of-the-cap to our friend.

Karma laugh

Serious Karma! Gosh darn.

Semper Fi
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by CRS
Never been much of fan of Boddington's writing. I remember when the 270 Elk cartridge article came out. Thought to myself about time. Seemed he was always touting a 7mm rem mag.

I suspect I'll always remember CB for his touting of the 8MM Rem Mag more than the 7.

I had forgot about him writing about the 8mm Rem Mag.

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My 1957 model 70, 270

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My 1957 model 70, 270

Very nice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Scott, I'm very happy to see that you got some of Bob's stuff & that it's in good hands.

Bob was a frequent correspondent & we traded some components back & forth a few times, one particular time relating to this 270 thread, I sent him several boxes of hard to find 300 H&H brass that he needed, then out of the blue & w/o notice, several boxes of 270 caliber bullets, magically showed up in my mailbox.

He left us too early.

MM

He sure did. I always enjoyed his posts and a few conversations via PM. Glad to see some of his rifles in a good home too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ron Spomer wrote a very concise article comparing the venerable 270 to the “answer to everything” 6.5 Creedmoor. This is very informative and worth the read…

https://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/6-5-creedmoor-versus-270-winchester

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My old friend Ron is very good at stirring up stuff in his videos, but I have hunted a lot not just with the .270 Winchester, but the .270 WSM and .270 Weatherby Magnum, along with various 6.5s including the Creedmoor, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06 and .264 Winchester Magnum.

Congratulations to anybody sensitive enough to perceive a major difference in "killing power" between any of them when using similar bullets....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My old friend Ron is very good at stirring up stuff in his videos, but I have hunted a lot not just with the .270 Winchester, but the .270 WSM and .270 Weatherby Magnum, along with various 6.5s including the Creedmoor, 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5 PRC, 6.5-06 and .264 Winchester Magnum.

Congratulations to anybody sensitive enough to perceive a major difference in "killing power" between any of them when using similar bullets....

I would agree inside 500 yds.

When ranges get stretchy of those on your list the .264 Win Mag starts to stand out when fed the right bullets.

Just Sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is the benefit of a slower twist?

Does the slower twist benefit the lighter bullets? How?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

When ranges get stretchy of those on your list the .264 Win Mag starts to stand out when fed the right bullets.

Just Sayin.

When it gets much past 500, it kinda goes from huntin' to just shootin'.

Kinda thinkin' the pendulum is swinging from huntin' to shootin' cause it's easier.

Genuine hunter & sportsmen are being replaced by technology & $$$$$.

YMMV

MM

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by CRS
Never been much of fan of Boddington's writing. I remember when the 270 Elk cartridge article came out. Thought to myself about time. Seemed he was always touting a 7mm rem mag.

I suspect I'll always remember CB for his touting of the 8MM Rem Mag more than the 7.

I had forgot about him writing about the 8mm Rem Mag.

He did his darnedest to drag the 8 over the finish line. It had the same Achilles heel as a whole bunch of other large overbore cartridges of the period. The projectiles were mostly too fragile and the recoil too much.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 264 Winchester been around a long time I believe.

It has seen the pendulum swing a few times I’d reckon.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Just Sayin.

Kinda thinkin' the pendulum is swinging from huntin' to shootin' cause it's easier.

YMMV

MM

I’d agree with this. A friend was on a few guided western hunts the past couple years. He told me the guides were more interested in how far he could shoot than how far he could walk! Many of the guides had their own rigs in the truck or UTV and they were some sort of LR rig like a Gunwerks outfit. If the client’s rig wasn’t up to a long shot they’d encourage him to use theirs!

Last edited by John55; 12/24/23.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
270 speaks for itself

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

In a more recent article (from September), Craig Boddington says that, "For deer of any size, the old .270 is hard to beat, and it’s still one of our best non-magnum choices."

The article also states that he believes the 6.5 Creedmoor is marginal for big deer. It goes on to say, "after a decade of popularity, many are questioning the Creedmoor on bigger deer."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/bigger-guns-for-bigger-bucks/482737

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Just Sayin.

YMMV

MM

Agree totally.
In some cases "hunting" has become a contest between "hunters" for bragging rights as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

In a more recent article (from September), Craig Boddington says that, "For deer of any size, the old .270 is hard to beat, and it’s still one of our best non-magnum choices."

The article also states that he believes the 6.5 Creedmoor is marginal for big deer. It goes on to say, "after a decade of popularity, many are questioning the Creedmoor on bigger deer."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/bigger-guns-for-bigger-bucks/482737

Craig doesn’t strike me as the kind of gentleman to stir the pot just to get page views or sell magazines so I’m quite certain it’s the biggest display of naïveté that I’ve ever read in his prose.

There isn’t a whitetail or mule deer walking the planet that I’d fret a .243 and a good bullet, let alone a 6.5 Creedmoor. Marginal….. 🤦🏼‍♂️

WWP53D
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For whatever it's worth, back in the 70's Norway set minimum cartridge requirements. They poll their hunters upon success, voluntary, on cartridge, distance animal ran after a broadside lung hit...as a result they now require a 10 gram bullet (bye 6.5 140 gr) and a 1475 ft pounds of energy at 100 meters (bye, a lot of cartridges). Whether the decision to do this was based on good poll data or not, we don't know. I do know, or used to know, that the Norwegians took their hunting very serious...requiring hunters to pass a basic competency test. I think Barsness had to take the test on his trip back to the old country...but memory being gone maybe it was Sweden. Sweden requires 2,700 joules/2,000 ft lbs for 139 gr to 154 gr bullets.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,850
Posts18,496,983
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.