-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a 54 Trade Rifle flintlock for 20+ years. Used RB to start but went to TC Maxi. 95gr of FFF Goex.

Last February I picked up a TC Renegade 54 percussion. Still playing with it. Couldn't find #11 caps so went with 209 conversion. That was a PIA. The caps were so stuck it took forever to get them out. Found #11s a few weeks ago and they're ok. Last shot seemed to have a little hangfire. Shooting Pyrodex out of it. I've since learned form the conversion manufacturer that I should back off the cap a full thread or so. I may go back to that and try it. The 209s definitely fired hotter.

Also found 54 cal maxi bullets from No Excuses. A lot heavier than the TCs but available.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I haven't tried anything but round balls. I think I'll most likely stay with the RB myself, just to avoid any barrel leading issues. That was why I chose 54 caliber in the first place, because the 54 RB has some weight to it.

If I decide to try a conical or maxi, I might just pick up a 50 caliber. It looks like there are a lot more 50 cal offerings for the conical and maxi projectiles.

But I think my next move will be to get into casting some .535" RBs.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
BTW, I didn't make a kill with this Trade Rifle this season.

Was kind of tempted to harvest a 3x3 that was showing himself around the house during the rut. It could have been an easy shot under 50 yards, but it didn't feel like a very honorable thing to do......grin.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
While typically anymore, I choose RB's out of my 54's. But don't overlook big ol conicals for pure knockdown power! I did shoot those for a while, never had any leading issues. But finally decided they were just too much of a good thing for midwestern whitetail.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Nice, Bob (MagBob) on here turned me onto Windex with Vinegar. I got one of those little tupperware containers, wadded them in there and dumped a bunch in there. Nice to have to clean that stuff up. Then Gunner directed me onto using plain old olive oil to lube the bore and such. In my Sharps both of those has made clean up a snap.

And damn good shooting at 75 yards in my opinion. I believe you are hammering now.

I used the Windex with Vinegar today after 'unloading' the rifle. Works great!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Nice, Bob (MagBob) on here turned me onto Windex with Vinegar. I got one of those little tupperware containers, wadded them in there and dumped a bunch in there. Nice to have to clean that stuff up. Then Gunner directed me onto using plain old olive oil to lube the bore and such. In my Sharps both of those has made clean up a snap.

And damn good shooting at 75 yards in my opinion. I believe you are hammering now.

I used the Windex with Vinegar today after 'unloading' the rifle. Works great!

Wished I could take credit for it MM, but Bob steered me correct.

Honestly, my experience with Black Powder has been awesome. Even being a part neanderthal it has been easy when I have listened to my elders and done as they have already learned.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Windex with ammonia works very well.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's a pic after I refinished that comb that I rasped off. I didn't end up stripping down the entire stock. I stained the rasped off area with a couple applications of dark walnut stain, then put six coats of tung oil over it, with a little 0000 steel wool action between coats.

The blend in with the original stock isn't perfect, but it came out pretty close, and I'm happy with it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I ordered the rifle from Dixie Gun Works. In their description, it says the rifle is made in Italy by Investarms. I believe the same people that actually made the GPR's???

I had a couple Investarms guns. Cannot recommend them. The Lyman guns I owned were inferior in finish to the Thompson Center rifles I'd owned and the Investarms versions were even cruder than the Lyman-branded rifles. I'm not sure it is possible to get a decent quality mass produced side lock anymore. Very disappointed overall.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I ordered the rifle from Dixie Gun Works. In their description, it says the rifle is made in Italy by Investarms. I believe the same people that actually made the GPR's???

I had a couple Investarms guns. Cannot recommend them. The Lyman guns I owned were inferior in finish to the Thompson Center rifles I'd owned and the Investarms versions were even cruder than the Lyman-branded rifles. I'm not sure it is possible to get a decent quality mass produced side lock anymore. Very disappointed overall.

It took some work for me to smooth out the action on this lock. I ended up putting 600 grit firelapping compound on the trigger/sear engagement surfaces then 'marrying' them by pushing forward on the hammer while pulling the trigger, about 200 times. Of course I put some wadded up leather over the nipple while doing that.

I've never owned a T/C, but from all accounts they were/are still a superior product at a reasonable price. The lock on the CVA kit I built in the 1970's came with a pretty smooth lock, as issued.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^^ Thanks. I reckon I should have thought of trying that. I'll file it away for "someday."

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I prefer the Lymans over certain TC models. I find the stocks on the Renegade to be too high but their Hawken rifles are fine.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
BTW, I didn't make a kill with this Trade Rifle this season.

Was kind of tempted to harvest a 3x3 that was showing himself around the house during the rut. It could have been an easy shot under 50 yards, but it didn't feel like a very honorable thing to do......grin.
Ha Ha I know the feeling. I drew a special late season buck tag one time thinking I would bag one of the trophy bucks that would come around the house in Jan. When the big one showed up and laid down in a snowstorm out back of the garage, I drew a bead on him but I could see his big brown eye blinking to shed snowflakes...couldn't do it. Like you said, not honorable.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This past muzzleloader season, only deer in front of me were a couple first year fawns. I figured they needed to expirience at least 1 winter and left them alone. But the way they were lined up, my 1 shot could have gotten both of them! Using the 54 cal CVA St. Louis Hawken kit gun, 90 grains of Goex FFg with a patched round ball.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/30/24. Reason: add picture

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
All I've ever used in my .50 T/C Hawken in patched balls and Goex fffg. All I've ever used to clean it is plain hot water. No soap, no vinegar, no windex, no need for any of that stuff. I've put several pounds of powder and several hundred balls through it over the last 20 odd years and the bore is still spotless and it still shoots cloverleafs from 50 yards. I use a charge of 75 gr's and have had zero issues killing deer with that load from 10-75 yards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
All I've ever used in my .50 T/C Hawken in patched balls and Goex fffg. All I've ever used to clean it is plain hot water. No soap, no vinegar, no windex, no need for any of that stuff. I've put several pounds of powder and several hundred balls through it over the last 20 odd years and the bore is still spotless and it still shoots cloverleafs from 50 yards. I use a charge of 75 gr's and have had zero issues killing deer with that load from 10-75 yards.

BH, do you just spit patch to clean it at the range?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe you can find one of these: a tap-o-cap

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002230329/?pid=842064

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

If I shoot more than 6 shots yes. Up to 6 I can just reload and it continues to put ball after ball into tiny groups with no shift in POI. After 6 it just gets too hard to seat another ball so I'll spit patch it out. I got rid of my inline because the sunofabitch had to be cleaned after every shot or the POI shifted several inches at 50 yards from shot to shot. What a PITA that was.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If I shoot more than 6 shots yes. Up to 6 I can just reload and it continues to put ball after ball into tiny groups with no shift in POI. After 6 it just gets too had to seat another ball so I'll spit patch it out. I got rid of my inline because the sunofabitch had to be cleaned after every shot or the POI shifted several inches at 50 yards from shot to shot. What a PITA that was.

It is nice to not use anything special for them other than hot water if you want. I have a 50 TC Hawken. Never fired the first ball thru it yet.

What do you use for oil in the bore? I have been using olive oil in my BPCR, but wasn't sure what others are using.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Ask 20, get 20 different answers. Lol!

NRA life member

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,447
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.