Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a handful of Fenix flashlights, and they are great, except I never know the battery status. The use would be primarily to get into the woods in the dark.
So these newer rechargeable flashlights have a battery charge indicator. I did a quick search, and there are a ton of web pages with different brand picks.
I did see the OLight as a recommendation, and it looks pretty good on Amazon. I read Olight is quality, so before I order one, I thought I would seek opinions/experience.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PLY3QBK?tag=thespruce-onsite-prod-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&ascsubtag=4146546%7Cn45debc95462c45618c8565f42615d80614%7CB07PLY3QBK

OLIGHT S2R II 1150 Lumens EDC Flashlight USB Magnetic Rechargeable Torch Light Equipped with Variable-Output Side Switch and Dual Direction Pocket Clip
Visit the OLIGHT Store
4.7 4.7 out of 5 stars 3,437 ratings
| 68 answered questions
300+ bought in past month
-10%
$62.96
List Price:
$69.95

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No charge indicator, but I use my Streamlight Microstream USB light literally every day. I charge it once a month and it only takes minutes to do so. LINK

btw: Their tiny Nano light is the handiest thing ever. I keep one on my keychain so I'll never be without a light.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
No experience with O lights handheld stuff but I had one let go on a Glock and they don't have a good reputation for their rail mounted stuff.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I keep a couple of these around, Link here
With a charger, push button switch, corded switch and batteries. ~$40

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-Zoom...e-Waterproof-Lamp-Ultra-Bright/823489221

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EBL-6-Pa...h-Storage-Case-for-Flashlight/2143396613

Bought 6-8 of these at $11 or so... as truck carry and cell phone rechargers.

They are DAMN IMPRESSIVE for the coin.... over the past 3 months.

*Edit...

This is an accurate pic on the level of power...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Below is the $11.23 priced ones... BUT the batteries still need bought.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-Zoom...-Waterproof-Lamp-Ultra-Bright/3207274532

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/24/23.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the last two Olight products I bought were not satisfactory. Poor battery life, badly functioning switches. The proprietary magnetic charger was a PITA. I am back with my small 500 lumen Streamlight rechargeable for EDC. Sold the Olights to a relative.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 12/24/23.

Sam......

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have several of the OLights and they are top notch. I keep one in each of our vehicles and they stayed charged for months. Also have several around the house that get a lot of use and never an issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
ThE USB recharge option has been a great idea. I have several headstrap lights and accessories. Charge em right beside my phone in a dual port

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
ThE USB recharge option has been a great idea. I have several headstrap lights and accessories. Charge em right beside my phone in a dual port

Like most of High Technology...I didn't know rechargeable was an option.

Great idea. Was about to start charging the kids for AAs.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have several Olight single AAA lights, always at least one in my pocket. Get used every day. Gotta check them a now and then lest you end up with a pocketful of parts. I also have a bigger one with the magnetic charger I got as a gift, and a weapon light with green laser. Excellent stuff, alas Chinese.

My goto woods lights are Streamlight Bandit rechargeable headlamps, U.S. made, and just excellent. Usually have two with me, but have never needed the second. Very light, bright enough, and I’ve never had one go bad or run low, I just top them off every other trip to the woods or so.

Maglite should be embarrassed by the newcomers. Even their LED models pale in comparison, except has headknockers.

These are great too, but heavy worn as a headlamp. The rechargeable batter can be swapped for a couple of 123s, and those have a looonng shelf-life, so I kerp one in the truck, charged, but with 123 cells in reserve.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Headlamp-Rechargeable-Resistant-Emergency/dp/B0BF5XZMS9/ref=sr_1_35?crid=11G6DYYMJK1Q2&keywords=eveready%2Bflashlight&qid=1703430560&sprefix=Everready%2Caps%2C444&sr=8-35&th=1

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/24/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is my favorite, everyday rechargeable carry light due to the shape and simplicity of the lever switch. It fits perfect in a pocket and has plenty of power.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/brands/shop-by-brand/streamlight/streamlight-wedge-edc-flashlight

I have Olights and and other similar brands and do not like “dials”.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is the real deal right here. Small, rugged, and turns night into day. No charge indicator, but I’ve yet to run the battery down with several hours of use on a single charge.

Forgot the link!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022699299?pid=723464

Last edited by Jeffrey; 12/24/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Terryk;
Top of the morning from the still dark section of south central BC, I hope the day's been good to you all thus far.

As far as a sample of 3 Olight products, I've carried an early Baton in my left pocket each and every day since 2016.

I thought enough of the first one, that when I lost it, I ordered another one that night, then found the first one at work the next day. I believe that was 2018 and that one was my "good jeans" light which rode on the opposite side of my "go to town" folder.

Somewhere before that I'd picked up a headlamp that uses a single CR 123 battery as well.

Oh, I should note they're all about 400 lumen models.

The first one's switch fell apart this summer and while they didn't have parts for it any longer, they were very prompt with their replies and offered me a 25% discount on a new one. I was able to make up a replacement switch that worked up until last week when something else apparently burned out in it, but I'm totally satisfied with the lifespan on that unit.

This one is the next one I'm looking at personally - it's in Canadian Loony/Pesos in the link.

https://www.olightstore.ca/warrior-nano

We walk every morning out in our semi rural neighborhood and have carried older Surefire G2XLE flashlights, again the 400 lumen models back then, for about 6 years now. They're great too, but are a bit too big for carrying in pants pockets we feel, but are fine in a jacket/hoodie pocket.

https://www.surefire.com/g2x-law-enforcement-edition/

Hope that helped and was useful to you or someone out there.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/24/23. Reason: more information

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have the Olight Baton3 Pro. Its a great light I use everyday. Its small, light and a charge lasts a long long time. It will light up my entire backyard and has a moon glow feature. A dim light just to see walking around in the dark or reading. Its small about 4oz and fits in my pocket and will clip to my hat. I take it to bed and stick it on my metal night lamp with the magnet. I have the warm light color, also come in a cool light color. Great Product!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just buy two and alternate...
That way if you happen compress the tail cap switch when, sitting, driving or reaching into your pocket you know you will have a fresh one in the morning..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JRS3
This is my favorite, everyday rechargeable carry light due to the shape and simplicity of the lever switch. It fits perfect in a pocket and has plenty of power.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/brands/shop-by-brand/streamlight/streamlight-wedge-edc-flashlight

I have Olights and and other similar brands and do not like “dials”.

I was gifted a Wedge last year and while it's a nice light, I much prefer a Streamlight Micro AAA version. I carry one on a breakaway lanyard around my neck. A single AAA battery lasts forever and can be changed in an instant. And they're under $20.00.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To get into the woods… i use a headlamp…

Frees up both hands.. red light is a bonus.

I use a nitecore nu33.

Extenal usb c charing port..
battery status lights..
spot, flood, red led

Most important to me… lockout feature so it doesnt turn on when carrying pack / pocket.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Fenix LD30 I've been carrying for two years has a rough battery indicator on the side switch (the one you push to change lumen output settings). Whenever you turn the light on, the light on the side switch will be constant green (above 85%), flashing green (50-85%), constant red (25-50%) or flashing red (below 25%). If you get concerned about battery life, you can step down the power and get more time out of the battery. At only 130 lumens the light is rated for 17 hours, and at 30 lumens for 70 hours. It also can take 123 batteries (although it will not put out 1600 lumens), and I keep some of those in my hunting pack.

If you don't need that much run time, and are OK with a top end of 1000 lumens, someone gave me a Monstrum Tracer for Christmas that has a 4 light battery indicator whenever you quick-tap any button. I haven't run it that much, but I like the fact that it is activated by a thumb switch instead of a tail cap. That and the slender rectangular shape make it nice for coordinating with a handgun.

No matter what else I carry, I always carry a Fenix E12 single AA light. (In the woods, I also keep some spare AA batteries in my pack.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
No charge indicator, but I use my Streamlight Microstream USB light literally every day. I charge it once a month and it only takes minutes to do so. LINK

btw: Their tiny Nano light is the handiest thing ever. I keep one on my keychain so I'll never be without a light.

This^^^^

Or very similar

I charge mine more often. Guaranteed for 300 charging cycles. I'll lose it or give it away long before that mark...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve used the first version of this mini olight for probably 10 years now. Bright little bastard, rechargeable, ultra small, and Uber reliable.
You can also use regular 123 batteries if your not where you can recharge it, like when out camping or extended hunting trips.

https://www.olightworld.com/product/s1r2

You can buy them online from Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and many other sources.

But I buy all of my batteries and flashlights from batteryjunction.com. And have for many years.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/24/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 35, 338Rules, 358WCF, 58 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,684
Posts18,534,422
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.