Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 254 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 253 254
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If you really want to find out, (most don't really want to know and would rather argue about it) build (or buy) a scope checker like this one I whittled up. Every one of mine gets checked out of the box for tracking and RTZ after power changes if it's a variable. If that's ok, it goes on and recoil tells the rest of the tale. You can test scopes side by side with a known good one on a real deal good rifle or bolt it to this plate and that goes on a bench top.

It's Christmas Eve. Spend it with people you care about.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

with the precision you play with in mind what Scopes in your experience make the better list and what Scopes make the not so good list as a general rule..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Looks great. Can you post a picture of what you look at through the scope to test those parameters please?

It's similar to 'Stick's test target but with 1" grid squares....think of Christmas wrapping paper that has 1" squares on the back side as a cutting guide. The grid squares make it easy to mark the advertised adjustment values off the vertical plumb line and see how a scope correlates.

No picture of the target with the markings?

So you’re only able to test MOA reticles and scopes?

What distance from the scope do you set the “target”?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's similar to 'Stick's test target but with 1" grid squares....think of Christmas wrapping paper that has 1" squares on the back side as a cutting guide. The grid squares make it easy to mark the advertised adjustment values off the vertical plumb line and see how a scope correlates.
Al
I do alot of load development at 500 yards.
Couple years ago on the way to my test range got about half way there and remembered I didn't have the paper I usually have.. crap.
In the middle of July in the middle of nowhere is a Dollar General. I pop in and find of all things Christmas wrapping paper.
Santa clauses on one side and the 1 inch grid in white on the other. Just as you described.
Grid showed up just fine on my target vision camera.
Worked great..

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Thanks , Brother Al. At least we have ONE member knowledgeable about testing optics besides Larry.

This stuff isn't that hard. You know, regular people put this stuff together and take it apart at the scope makers.

Start by forgetting any percieved 'facts' and let the results show you what's what. Last week, I took apart a 6X scope that most would say is a junk brand. It had some fungus on an inner lens that cleaned up nicely. The W/E adjustment method was surprisingly stout and the erector tube had a nice pivoting gimble arrangement with no front-back slop. I reset the parallax to 200 yards and will shoot it after Christmas to see how it does.

Al;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this Christmas Eve morning finds you and those you love well.

Thanks much to you and handgunnr for showing the scope testing jigs you've made up, it's given me a few ideas to refine the apparatus I fabricobbled together to test if used scope we pick up will track - or not as is sometimes the case.

Your quote that I've put in bold reminds me of something my late Father used to say to me, especially when I was younger and wasn't sure about trying to fix something on a dirt bike or gun I had apart.

Not to say I was or still am always successful in my repair efforts, but its always an education.

All the best to you all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re going to go to the trouble of making a fixture to simply hold a scope, why not make a fixture to hold a barreled action AND a scope?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you’re going to go to the trouble of making a fixture to simply hold a scope, why not make a fixture to hold a barreled action AND a scope?

Because making one with just a rail to use testing a scope is exponentially easier than fabrication of any even semi-universal action jig?

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Or you could just C-clamp it to the merry-go-round at the local playground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie

Because making one with just a rail to use testing a scope is exponentially easier than fabrication of any even semi-universal action jig?

Probably, but if one is so interested enough to go to the work of making the scope fixture and cares about scope functionality, it would follow that they would be concerned about mounting a scope on a rifle with the same care

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by jackmountain
If I was charging $1,079 for a vx3hd that costs $599 everywhere else and suckers were willing to pay it, I’d be on here fervently defending them too.

Con artists behave that way. Play with a scammer on the phone next time. Watch how angry they get.

Al, thanks for the good laugh, that is absolutely hilarious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Probably, but if one is so interested enough to go to the work of making the scope fixture and cares about scope functionality, it would follow that they would be concerned about mounting a scope on a rifle with the same care

That has nothing to do with one's fabrication capacity. One would be easy on my shop, the other not so much. It has nothing to do with what I "want" to do. Making a jig to check a scope's tracking with a welder and some time is easy for anyone with a welder.

Not being able to whip out an action jig in your shop in an hour doesn't mean you shouldn't whip out a scope specific jig.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I've learned a lot reading this thread. Some of it important and the rest, the "fine art of one-upmanship".

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting live ammo,ain't as scary as it sounds. Not all wares are equal,nor even close. Hint.

To be continued. Hint.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I agree with Rick. Static testing a scope on its own is good for seeing if it's worth mounting in the first place; however, in a lot of cases, the scope trouble is caused or exacerbated by the way its mounted. Therefore, testing a scope after it's mounted to the gun on which it's going to be used offers much more utility. Likewise, getting a scope squared up correctly in the first place saves a lot of time and ammo when doing TTT and other types of actual shooting/testing to make sure a rig is RTG.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Nice. One of the main reasons I say static scope testing tales lead to some of the best optics threads.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Nice. One of the main reasons I say static scope testing tales lead to some of the best optics threads.

I need to build a micro-adjust jig to zero out the coriolis effect of a static tall target test depending on whether I'm shooting N, S, E, or W. I mean the target isn't even located where you see it, it's moved by the time you see it. You can't shoot a TTT where the target is, you have to shoot it where it's going to be.

I'm surprised none of you even realize that all you're ever seeing through the scope is where the target was. Good Greif.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Most of the time, when I pull the trigger where the target was and where it is relative to me are the same. Unless you’re observing from off planet?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not as nice as Al’s, but a static rest is pretty easy to build. 3 legs and a Davidson or Picatinny base mounted to a flat surface and you can tell if a scope is a POS before you bother mounting it. Does the reticle move with the clicks? Does it freeze and then drop after 4 clicks? Etc. This (or a collimator) also tell you if unsaddled with every variable that a rifle, mounting, or conditions -does this scope track accurately? is the reticle canted from the adjustments?

If it tracks accurately you have a baseline—the scope is capable of aiming a rifle accurately. Then introduce mounting, recoil and all the other [bleep] and see if it holds up, or try to figure out where you [bleep] up.

I would blame the scope last

Failure's always an option
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tucsonan
Not as nice as Al’s, but a static rest is pretty easy to build. 3 legs and a Davidson or Picatinny base mounted to a flat surface and you can tell if a scope is a POS before you bother mounting it. Does the reticle move with the clicks? Does it freeze and then drop after 4 clicks? Etc. This (or a collimator) also tell you if unsaddled with every variable that a rifle, mounting, or conditions -does this scope track accurately? is the reticle canted from the adjustments?

If it tracks accurately you have a baseline—the scope is capable of aiming a rifle accurately. Then introduce mounting, recoil and all the other [bleep] and see if it holds up, or try to figure out where you [bleep] up.

I would blame the scope last

Great example. 👍-Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
If the reticle is plumb to a plumb-bob, it doesn't matter if the scope was mounted canted in the rings.
This will result in a horizontal offset that increases with distance.

Absolutely, it will. Providing that means it was also offset to the bore. Which came first? The drift from reticle misalignment to the bore, or the drift from reticle misalignment to the erector?
I’m assuming no misalignment between reticle and erector. Just offset of the bore relative to the reticle/erector axis.

Problem with lots of Leupolds is that is what I've seen, reticle cant in relation to the erector.
That's why it is well-worth checking to make sure the reticle and erector axes are aligned while testing tracking and RTZ. By fixing the scope so that the reticle is aligned with a straight line, and then running through the adjustment range of the erector, one can easily and quickly confirm that there is no deviation from the line as adjustments are made, and that the reticle and erector axis are parallel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why it is well-worth checking to make sure the reticle and erector axes are aligned while testing tracking and RTZ. By fixing the scope so that the reticle is aligned with a straight line, and then running through the adjustment range of the erector, one can easily and quickly confirm that there is no deviation from the line as adjustments are made, and that the reticle and erector axis are parallel.

Please post a photo of your system

Thanks

Page 19 of 254 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 253 254

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 16 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,939
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.