Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Anyone on here have one? Wondering what experiences anyone on here has had with them. My dad had a 300 Rum and it shot the best groups I’ve ever seen with factory Remington ammo. They sure have gotten pricey like everything else. Just wondering if they’re worth it.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I picked up a used 30-06 a year ago and it has quickly become the rifle I reach for when shots will be 400yds or less (this is a reflection on cartridge limitations, not accuracy). Mine has a fluted 24” barrel with a brake. The stock fits me well and the rifle simply feels right. It certainly meets the accuracy guarantee….with bullet/powders it likes. Mine did not care for 180sst and RL26, but shot great with 165 AB and BT using H4350. Is it more accurate than my Tikka? No, but it’s nicer to carry and easier to load for given the ample magazine length

I found the rifle just as I was about to order a new one….and paid less than 1/2. I would have been content to pay new…I like it that much.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Call Jon Beanland in Oklahoma if you want an ACCURATE rifle!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
HS precision rifles are accurate. I picked up a used one, an SPL in .240 Wby. I didn’t like the heavy HS stock, put the gun in a McM Hunters Edge. Went from 42 oz stock to a 26 oz stock. Improved the gun a bunch. Their stocks are solid, but club like and heavy.

HS makes their own in house cut rifled barrels. Mine shoots as good as my Brux and Krieger barrels. This gun likes the 100 gr. NPT, best three shot group so far is 1.7” at 400. Maybe a fluke group but it’s pretty accurate.

I would never buy a new HS rifle after their Ron Horiuchi fiasco. Google it. Ron was the FBI sniper who killed Randy Weaver’s wife holding their baby at Ruby Ridge. Govt paid $3 mil for that. Typical govt. they rolled Ron out as their point man to ordinance providers like HS. HS put his picture in their catalog, embraced Ron.

Now that pizzed off a bunch of people. Bad move, sucking up on the govt. to keep them happy, just to sell them sniper rifles. So, good rifles, bad company. They didn’t make a dime off my used one.

IMO,

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on what kind of accuracy a person is looking for, If just under an inch then there are plenty of factory rifles out there under $1000.00 if around 1/2 inch with handloads many of those same rifles will do, if around .25 of an inch then the price starts climbing. Personally I don't see a point in spending over 2k for a rifle I will use for hunting, then there's a resale problem, its a lot easier to sell a factory or semi custom rifle than full custom, more buyers for under $1000 than higher, but to each his own.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, for routine hunting, doubling the price to buy an extra quarter inch off a hundred yard group is counterproductive, for sure.

But for LR shooting it’s probably worth it. Where I hunt a very long shot isn’t necessary, but in some areas you need that extra precision.

Then there’s the Loony factor where it doesn’t have to make sense.

DF

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Yeah, for routine hunting, doubling the price to buy an extra quarter inch off a hundred yard group is counterproductive, for sure.

But for LR shooting it’s probably worth it. Where I hunt a very long shot isn’t necessary, but in some areas you need that extra precision.

DF

“Need” is a 4 letter word when talking about hobbies….:)

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the input guys. I would definitely find used cause new is out of my range. Elkaddict sums it up best, I don’t need another. 😀 Part of it is I didn’t get my dads guns, and for some reason I’d like to have replicas of all the ones he used when taking me as a kid. The HS is the only one left…

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkaddict

DF

“Need” is a 4 letter word when talking about hobbies….:)
Agree.

I use that line pretty often.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's the .240 SPL in Hunter's Edge. It now wears a VX-6 instead of the Bushnell.

I like to get the Hunter's Edge in the raw, glass it, fill in the bolt handle slot, sculpt to fit the handle, fine tune the loading port, etc., then send it to McM for paint.

In the "in the raw" picture, it had a Conquest. Last picture is the ugly HS stock replaced by the Hunter's Edge. My son sold it on EBay. 42 oz vs. 26 oz.

Rifle now not so butt heavy and butt ugly.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had 2 HS rifles, a 300 Win & a 270.

Both met their 1/2 MOA guarantee & functioned just fine.

But their stocks, at least the M-70 versions at that time, were just too thick & too heavy so I sold them both.

HS barrels are as good as any.

That was before Ruby Ridge.

MM

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I've had 2 HS rifles, a 300 Win & a 270.

Both met their 1/2 MOA guarantee & functioned just fine.

But their stocks, at least the M-70 versions at that time, were just too thick & too heavy so I sold them both.

HS barrels are as good as any.

That was before Ruby Ridge.

MM
Yeah, Ruby Ridge tainted them pretty bad.

Unfortunate decision making by top mgt.

Wonder what they were thinking.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
HS precision rifles are accurate. I picked up a used one, an SPL in .240 Wby. I didn’t like the heavy HS stock, put the gun in a McM Hunters Edge. Went from 42 oz stock to a 26 oz stock. Improved the gun a bunch. Their stocks are solid, but club like and heavy.

HS makes their own in house cut rifled barrels. Mine shoots as good as my Brux and Krieger barrels. This gun likes the 100 gr. NPT, best three shot group so far is 1.7” at 400. Maybe a fluke group but it’s pretty accurate.

I would never buy a new HS rifle after their Ron Horiuchi fiasco. Google it. Ron was the FBI sniper who killed Randy Weaver’s wife holding their baby at Ruby Ridge. Govt paid $3 mil for that. Typical govt. they rolled Ron out as their point man to ordinance providers like HS. HS put his picture in their catalog, embraced Ron.

Now that pizzed off a bunch of people. Bad move, sucking up on the govt. to keep them happy, just to sell them sniper rifles. So, good rifles, bad company. They didn’t make a dime off my used one.

IMO,

DF

If you’re gonna crucify the guy at least get his name correct. That POS’s name is Lon, not Ron.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Dirt for the pics and info

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Lon, Ron, he’s still a real pos.

I’ll try to get it right next time.

My condolences to all the Ron’s out there.

You guys get a pass, Lon not so much.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guess I’m more pizzed at HS. Lon just made a terrible decision. The govt covers their arse, promoting their problems. Otherwise they’d have to face their management flaws. The $3 mil lawsuit, well that’s just the cost of doing govt business.

But HS bought their BS, embraced Lon. That’s hard to forget or forgive. Never heard where HS ever asked for forgiveness. HS should have had character enough to not buy into that travesty.

But they didn’t. They put short term business interests ahead of principle. Can’t say I wish them well.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.