Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just loaded some 7mm08 in new Nosler Brass. I loaded both 120G Ballistic Tips (red tips) and 120G TTSX (blue tips) at the same time. I full lengthed sized all the cases before using them and seated them with a Redding Competition seater. Both bullets were seated 50 thousands off the lands. All bullets fit easily in the detachable magazine. The BTs are actually a hair shorter (technical term).

Just got back from the range. The TTSXs loaded and worked fine. The BTs would chamber, but I could not lower the bolt knob (Tikka T3X) on them. What am I doing wrong?[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ogive?

Mark a BT with sharpie, try loading it.
Are there marks from the lands?

Or,

Carefully a BT into to muzzle. Gently.
Use the depth gage on your calipers to measure how much sticks out.

Do the same with a TTSX.

I'm guessing the BT ogive is more rounded and is hitting the lands.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obviously you didn't measure the ogives on both bullets, relative to the lands.

How did you determine that both bullets would be .050" off?

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The dreaded Ogive. Seat the bts in further. Always chamber a few before going to the range.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ogive variable is the issue.

I approach this differently. My standard objective is .015” off the lands for determining COAL. Different action guns may require a different approach, but the first step is to insert a cleaning rod with blunt tip in the muzzle with action closed. Bit of tape on the rod allows me to mark the rod at the muzzle junction. Next step is to open the action, drop a bullet into the chamber and gently hold it in place with a pencil or small dowel. Move the cleaning rod to contact the bullet point, mark and remove. Calipers measure marks on the rod, and I subtract .015” from that. Presto! This approach has not failed me.

When using cast bullets I do not subtract, but load to have the bullet in contact with the lands.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DLSguide
Always chamber a few before going to the range.

Always a good idea.

I got burned this summer. Loaded some Nosler 2nds from SPS. Used the same COAL as firsts. Wouldn't chamber. Turns out the ogive length was 0.080" different. Maybe why they were seconds?

Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

You’re right. I measured the TTSX because I’ve had good luck with them 50 thousands off the lands (measured with a Hornady gauge). Then I set the seating gauge the same for both of them (my mistake) - but usually BTs have shot better for me closer to the lands. I should have measured the BTs as well- didn’t think that was necessary.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Always a good idea.

I got burned this summer. Loaded some Nosler 2nds from SPS. Used the same COAL as firsts. Wouldn't chamber. Turns out the ogive length was 0.080" different. Maybe why they were seconds?

So, they knew that, but didn't bother to let the buyer know?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Always a good idea.

So, they knew that, but didn't bother to let the buyer know?
Does any company, when they change dimensions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ngrumba

MM

You’re right. I measured the TTSX because I’ve had good luck with them 50 thousands off the lands (measured with a Hornady gauge). Then I set the seating gauge the same for both of them (my mistake) - but usually BTs have shot better for me closer to the lands. I should have measured the BTs as well- didn’t think that was necessary.
Been there; done that, seen it before...... Except I always try a few in the chamber before going out to shoot 'em; as DLSguide already mentioned.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MM

Rarely do 2 different bullets from different manufacturers have the same ogive contour, so each really has to be measured individually................but being .050" off with the Branes, it's a little surprising that the NBT's jammed.

I start everything .010" - .015" off, even Barnes, never seen a reason to jump Barnes any more than anything else. But lots of people insist they shoot better off. Makes me wonder if they even tried them close.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ogive?

Mark a BT with sharpie, try loading it.
Are there marks from the lands?

Or,

Carefully a BT into to muzzle. Gently.
Use the depth gage on your calipers to measure how much sticks out.

Do the same with a TTSX.

I'm guessing the BT ogive is more rounded and is hitting the lands.

He said they are both "seated .050" off the lands". The question that needs to be asked, is are you sure they are loaded off the lands and what was your method for finding the lands, to be sure? The ogive means schidt in this case.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Ogive variable is the issue.

I approach this differently. My standard objective is .015” off the lands for determining COAL. Different action guns may require a different approach, but the first step is to insert a cleaning rod with blunt tip in the muzzle with action closed. Bit of tape on the rod allows me to mark the rod at the muzzle junction. Next step is to open the action, drop a bullet into the chamber and gently hold it in place with a pencil or small dowel. Move the cleaning rod to contact the bullet point, mark and remove. Calipers measure marks on the rod, and I subtract .015” from that. Presto! This approach has not failed me.

When using cast bullets I do not subtract, but load to have the bullet in contact with the lands.

There are many ways to find the lands with the bullet. Some are easy, some more complicated. Some require no tools. That's how I do it. Use a fired case, and soot the bullets. No extra gizmos needed. Keep it as simple as possible, applies here.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

MM

There in lies your problem. You should always measure your OAL, for every bullet you intend to load, then write it down somewhere. If you change lots, recheck just to be sure it is the same. If not, make correction in your OAL book.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

MM

Rarely do 2 different bullets from different manufacturers have the same ogive contour, so each really has to be measured individually................but being .050" off with the Branes, it's a little surprising that the NBT's jammed.

I start everything .010" - .015" off, even Barnes, never seen a reason to jump Barnes any more than anything else. But lots of people insist they shoot better off. Makes me wonder if they even tried them close.

MM

I wonder the exact same thing. I've tested them, and find I get excellent accuracy even at .020-.025" off the lands. Often times getting better precision that far off the lands than .050-.120" off the lands. Barnes recommends .050" as a starting point, but f that if .020" works well.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sinclair and PTG both make a Ogive tool that is a hex and will work for different calibers. You use it with a standard dial caliper and it will seat different bullets to the same CBTO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The approach I use is to get a short section of barrel and run the same chamber reamer in until the shoulder of the case will go in about .100 or so. Then test a round by putting it in that section of barrel. Its easy to get the length that way.
But, in a factory barrel, that wont work.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Sinclair and PTG both make a Ogive tool that is a hex and will work for different calibers. You use it with a standard dial caliper and it will seat different bullets to the same CBTO.

Takin' Care of Business with the Sinclair nut is a good idea . . . .

Those steel comparator nuts are Not Fragile smirk

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would add that have found the "same" bullets, made by several companies, to vary a little in dimensions from lot-to-lot. This occurs because the bullet-forming dies or, in the case of monolithics, the lathe-work varies a little as the tooling wears. (Was even informed during a factory tour of a bullet company known for their accurate match bullets that they typically change forming dies every 40,000 rounds, due to wear.) Have seen those dimensional changes in other brands of bullets over the decades--which is why we should check dimensions when working with a new lot #.

Might also mention that Nosler "seconds" are not picked by dimensional changes, but cosmetic flaws. Sometimes I have not been able to see those flaws, but sometimes I have--yet the seconds shot just as well as the "firsts." The last such 2nds were some 200-grain .30s--which grouped just as well as 1sts in my ULA Model 24 .30-06, three shots in a little over half an inch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

MM

MM

I wonder the exact same thing. I've tested them, and find I get excellent accuracy even at .020-.025" off the lands. Often times getting better precision that far off the lands than .050-.120" off the lands. Barnes recommends .050" as a starting point, but f that if .020" works well.

I’m one of habit that has always started them .050 off. I’ll have to try them closer the next time I work with them. You all could be learning me some new habits.

Semper Fi
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.