Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Pugs
And you wonder why I don’t fly single engine piston planes at night…..

I like short night flights but hate cross country in a single engine at night. Crossing huge areas of black nothingness doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy.

I was at the end of about an hour’s worth of night time pattern work at KSQL when on one upwind I went from VFC to IFC. Ceiling dropped while I was out. Landed and parked that sucker ricky tick…

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No beer unfortunately, meet me on the runway in a jeep with a sign that said follow me, I was in a Cessna 150, all those A-9 pilots I taxi by looked at me like WTF LOL.
Took me in a room and asked for my license asked me were the plane came from told them Bellingham and told them what I was doing about 10 minutes later this officer showed said there flying a mechanic lets go to the radar room and track him, pretty nice guy actually doudt it would be that way now since 9/11
You were there when I was LoL

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
https://wlos.com/news/local/plane-c...ed-land-audio-listen-parker-riley-klehr#

Audio of transmissions between the pilot and the tower. This pilot did a hell of a job, to land in the dark on a busy interstate, and not kill anybody.

“Mayday, mayday. Looks like we’ve got, uh, oil pressure failure. Looks like -- and two ECU (electronic control unit) failures; we’re coming in," the pilot said.

Two minutes later, Klehr relayed the following: “We’ve got our engine restarted. We just heard a big bang though, so we may lose it again here. Looks like we’ve got about half power, and we have smoke in the cockpit here.”

An air controller responded, “They managed to get their engine back up. They’re at half power, two souls on board, 30 gallons of fuel.”

Klehr then responded. “We’re probably going to have to put her down on the freeway here.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sherm_61
No beer unfortunately, meet me on the runway in a jeep with a sign that said follow me, I was in a Cessna 150, all those A-9 pilots I taxi by looked at me like WTF LOL.
Took me in a room and asked for my license asked me were the plane came from told them Bellingham and told them what I was doing about 10 minutes later this officer showed said there flying a mechanic lets go to the radar room and track him, pretty nice guy actually doudt it would be that way now since 9/11
You were there when I was LoL

We had a very nice aero club there then sort of surprised they didn’t just get the A&P from there. Alas, the club folded in the mid 90s. It was nice to rent a T-34B for $50 and hour and fly around with the canopy open.

These folks really did a heck of a job getting it on the ground and walking away.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why anybody would utilize a highway, or any busy road for that matter for an emergency landing.

You must have better night vision than most.I can do wonders in the cub during the day. Not so much when everything’s black.

I can land a cub in 300’, maybe less.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why anybody would utilize a highway, or any busy road for that matter for an emergency landing.
What better options did this pilot have?

How many unsuspecting people’s lives you willing to risk?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gbear
You would if you ever experienced an emergency in an airplane…..

I have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Do you have a suggestion for a better place for him to land in such a situation?

Anyplace other than someplace occupied by people.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Because your taught to if there's nothing else, atleast I was in ground school.
I had to land on the whidbey island naval base in the late 80's on my long cross country engine started spittin and spurting and I smelled gas at 5500' right over the base just above there air space.
Me too, A road be fine, as long as it’s empty. Awhile ago around here, a gal lost her engine on a Cherokee 6 I think it was. She decided to land on a paved road next to an alfalfa field on one side and a picked soybean field on the other. The prop was windmilling and some poor unsuspecting motorist, tooling along taking her kids to daycare, suddenly had an airplane contact her from above. The windmilling prop missed her two kids in car seats by 2 feet or so.

Last edited by Alaskajim; 12/24/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You must have better night vision than most.I can do wonders in the cub during the day. Not so much when everything’s black.

Typical cub pilot bragging!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What better options did this pilot have?

How many unsuspecting people’s lives you willing to risk?

You didn't answer the question.

The results show that he made a good decision. Perhaps he could tell by the amount and location of vehicle lights on the freeway that he was posing minimal risk to others. Sounds like he was smarter than you would have been.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have a suggestion for a better place for him to land in such a situation?

How would the pilot know that there wasn't a house in the blackness beside the interstate?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I've been a professional pilot for the last 30 years, flown everything from C150's to B777's. You'd better believe that if that had happened to me I'd have done the same thing.

He did well. He was right, you're wrong.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

How would the pilot know that there wasn't a house in the blackness beside the interstate?

This sorta reminds me of the old joke….How do you perform an emergency landing at night? When you get close to the ground, turn on the landing lights. If you like what you see, keep them on, if you don’t like what you see, turn them off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, I can land in a football stadium too. I'd prefer to do it with the lights on though. As I said, your night vision is better than mine. I'll take a lit highway over a black hole any night. Actually, I'd prefer neither.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I've been a professional pilot for the last 30 years, flown everything from C150's to B777's. You'd better believe that if that had happened to me I'd have done the same thing.

Almost as long as me, but I’ll admit to being wrong I guess. Ive never flown the triple seven, but I do have a pretty good list of type ratings.

I’m just thinking of the pilot of a Cherokee 6 I think it was who had an engine failure who decided to land on a paved road. There was an alfalfa field on one side and a picked soybean field on the other. Her plane landed on top of an unsuspecting car whose driver was transporting 2 kids to daycare. The windmilling prop came within 2 feet of those kids and the insurance company became the owner of the plane anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Almost as long as me, but I’ll admit to being wrong I guess. Ive never flown the triple seven, but I do have a pretty good list of type ratings.

I’m just thinking of the pilot of a Cherokee 6 I think it was who had an engine failure who decided to land on a paved road. There was an alfalfa field on one side and a picked soybean field on the other. Her plane landed on top of an unsuspecting car whose driver was transporting 2 kids to daycare. The windmilling prop came within 2 feet of those kids and the insurance company became the owner of the plane anyway.

A lit alfalfa field at night? What will they think of next.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No it wasn’t lit. I wonder if the highway was lit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No it wasn’t lit.

Well, I'm not landing in the black if I have a choice with lights.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No it wasn’t lit.

Well, I'm not landing in the black if I have a choice with lights.

Agreed, aim it between the light poles and hope nobody is on the road.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.