Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just to stir this pot a bit more, an old high school
friend who kills next to nothing, save one deer he was basically guided to and a young wolf he stumbled upon, is extremely against ‘long range’ hunting, because he feels the animals need a better chance of detecting danger. Not necessarily because he thinks the wounding rate is higher.

I have seen him hit and lose a fair number of chukar because he takes 60 yard shots at them…as that is all the closer they’ll flush…

Last edited by T_Inman; 12/24/23. Reason: Grammar

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have seen him hit and lose a fair number of chukar because he takes 60 yard shots at them…as that is all the closer they’ll flush…

Yep. I’m sure the irony is lost upon him as well.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
XP,

I used to hunt exclusively with handguns and crossbows when I lived in OH.

I remember the buck who gave us the “it’s too far” look when a friend and I laid down and put our revolvers on our packs and sighted him in. 125? Yards.

Mark took the shot and the then new 454 Casull with a 2-7 scope mounted did the trick.

I hunted with a contender in 35 Remington when I first moved to Alaska in 1989. After being out with the bears a lot, switched to the Casull, then rifles after moving to eastern WA.

Handguns required me to be more purposeful and thoughtful in my hunting. Maybe I should go back to that.

Let me know which direction you go, if you start doing some handgun hunting in the future.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
You’ve definitely laid down a lot of meat with those pistols!

👍🏼

It is something I have always enjoyed, and our family likes big game meat.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So I'm an old school hunter with old school gear: rifles, scopes, etc. Don't own any of the new long range calibers: just old stuff: .270, .300 WM, etc. Low power scopes. So if I want to change from spot and stalk to spot and shoot, give me an idea of the gear I need to get started to reliably kill game 600-700 yards. Which rifles, calibers, scopes, range finders and give me a rough idea of what kind of money I'm looking at. I AM a handloader however. Sounds like I need a consistent 1/2 moa. rifle. I realize I will need lots of practice but just want to know the equipment needed. thanks

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
So I'm an old school hunter with old school gear: rifles, scopes, etc. Don't own any of the new long range calibers: just old stuff: .270, .300 WM, etc. Low power scopes. So if I want to change from spot and stalk to spot and shoot, give me an idea of the gear I need to get started to reliably kill game 600-700 yards. Which rifles, calibers, scopes, range finders and give me a rough idea of what kind of money I'm looking at. I AM a handloader however. Sounds like I need a consistent 1/2 moa. rifle. I realize I will need lots of practice but just want to know the equipment needed. thanks

How do these rifles shoot off the bench?

If these rifles shoot tight groups off the bench, would you please tell us the groups on average of each of your different rifles typically do at 100 yards?

It may just require a change of a better optic for distance, or maybe bedding your action, and a new crown.

Do you have a place to practice at distance?

What type of terrain do you typically hunt in?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
When I first started deer hunting in the mid 60's and in the SE 100 yards was a long shot and most hunting was in heavy brush. Running dogs was common and wounding deer while taking running shots happened often. Ethical? I knew many folks who maintained they were deadly on game but could not shoot paper. Off a bench or other wise. I have met many folks who could shoot well off of a bench but were semi hopless off hand. I have never met anyone that was good off hand who was not at least acceptable off of a bench. Long way to say skill levels differ along with what each of us consider real hunting.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
Methinks he hit a nerve...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T_Inman
is extremely against ‘long range’ hunting, because he feels the animals need a better chance of detecting danger.…

Fu ck, that. That is about the most retarded line of thinking in this entire debate and I'm doubting your highschool buddy is alone in it. I'd never hunt with such an idiot.

What do they do, jump up and yell "over here critter!!! Now RUN so I can take a "sporting" shot at you!!"

I don't want the critters to know I'm even in the fu cking world when I take my shot, whether it's 9 feet with a muzzleloader or 600 yard with a 300WM. Clueless that danger is about to put them in my truck bed. For fu cks sake already.

Heart THUMPING 9 feet. Walked straight to me from 200 yards across that broom sage field, shot from a brush blind, peak of the rut......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
mr. xphunter: In response to your questions: the rifles I use the most typically shoot around an inch at 100 yds. sometimes a little less, sometimes a bit more: all handloads. I suspect they can shoot better than I can. I don't do lots and lots of load development as those loads have worked for my hunting. While I've hunted in most of the western states, in the past 5-10 years most of my hunting has been home (upper midwest) or Alaska as my son is a guide up there. As I said, my rifles are old school: wood stocks, traditional calibers, old school twist barrels, 1-10 in both .270s and .300 however the .300 and one of the .270s are custom barrels, and have been bedded. I shoot in my backyard (literally) and could shoot to about 450 yards but don't. So there you have it: old school equipment that works well but is far from having the capability of 600-700 yd. killing shots. Hence my original questions.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Grouse, I have been a handloader and shooter for well over 60 years. My pals, older than I, when I was a kid were shooting deer at 800 to 1000 yards, so this is nothing new.
As far as equipment, you probably have it with maybe the addition of a range finder and good scope and lots of rounds. One of my last students who is close 40 years old now just sent me a photo of an elk he killed at 1004 yards, his rifle a 700 in .300WM. He has been shooting since he was probably six years old. He has a slew of rifles mostly 7mags. and ,300s. But some small rounds as well. Earlier this year, he shot his bull at over 700 yards with an old .340 I made on a 700 action.But he shoots all the time and his girls are great spotters. If you have the time money and effort you probably have enough rifles now. But in shooting game, a spotter is very important I feel.

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi xphunter, all of the critters you posted with your long-range handgun are truly remarkable and outstanding!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year cool

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/25/23.

KB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hi xphunter, all of the critters you posted with your long-range handgun are truly remarkable and outstanding!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year cool

Thanks!
I do almost all of my hunting with some kind of a handgun. Every once in a while, I will use a bow.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As for me,, I long ago have decided to just watch my own bobber.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Long range is that distance that the shooter can't keep 100% of his rounds fired into 1/2 MOA! If 1000 yards inside a 5" circle!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Long range is that distance that the shooter can't keep 100% of his rounds fired into 1/2 MOA! If 1000 yards inside a 5" circle!
That would eliminate 98% of people shooting at 100 yds and under let alone farther.....That would be approx 1/8" groups at 25 yds or 1/4" at 50 yds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I would never agree to this kind of definition.
A more realistic way of looking at things, is can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by xphunter

A more realistic way of looking at things, is can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

Agreed, a Moose's vitals area is way bigger than 5" as is a Deer's.

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/26/23.

KB

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

A more realistic way of looking at things, i20 s can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

That's because you're not a shooter! Sometimes the twain meet; a shooter and a hunter but the average guy that could buy a box of 20 cartridges and use them for 20 years isn't a shooter. But the problem lies with the hunter.....that thinks he's a shooter!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A more realistic way of looking at things, i20 s can you keep your cold bore shot inside the vital area (this will be a different size depending on the animal) of whatever big game animal you are hunting, from a field shooting position.

That's because you're not a shooter! Sometimes the twain meet; a shooter and a hunter but the average guy that could buy a box of 20 cartridges and use them for 20 years isn't a shooter. But the problem lies with the hunter.....that thinks he's a shooter!

I am not a shooter?
Well, at least I know now 🤣
I have been using the same box of 30-30 CoreLokt’s for the last 15 years now…you don’t think my 2x Simmons scope is up to the task???

What number of shots are you talking about at 1K for a group of 1/2 MOA (5” or less-Shooter’s MOA)
@Sharpsman?
3-Shots?
5-Shots?
10-Shots?
15-Shots?
20-Shots?
Describe your rifle and field shooting position Mr. Shooter?

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.