-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and son did few free range exotic hunts few years back. These guys do high / low fence hunts and hunt nearly 365 days a year. See tons of animals killed of all sizes. Far more than any other outfitters in US I would wager. They hated 6.5 creedmoor. Said lose far more animals hit with it than other rounds, even the 243 which they liked. On way back from hunt we ran into another outfitter at gas station and he asked what I was using and said good not that stupid creedmoor. So, as Boddington stated there is disdain out there. My party had several 6.5 CM shooting 139 scenars in it on one hunt and performed great. Being a gun guy I kept picking at it since did not make sense to me and best we could come up with is maybe related to bullets guys are using on average wirh Creedmoor since happy with 243/my parties results with 6.5.

Lou

Last edited by Lou_270; 12/24/23.
GB1

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My brother hunts with a 6.5 Creedmore. I've used the 6.5 Swede for years. My Dad's "deer rifle" was an Arisaka 6.5 Japanese for 55 years. They have been and were effective on Whitetails in Pennsylvania. The 270 model 70 I once used was equally effective but not more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
For whatever it's worth, back in the 70's Norway set minimum cartridge requirements. They poll their hunters upon success, voluntary, on cartridge, distance animal ran after a broadside lung hit...as a result they now require a 10 gram bullet (bye 6.5 140 gr) and a 1475 ft pounds of energy at 100 meters (bye, a lot of cartridges). Whether the decision to do this was based on good poll data or not, we don't know. I do know, or used to know, that the Norwegians took their hunting very serious...requiring hunters to pass a basic competency test. I think Barsness had to take the test on his trip back to the old country...but memory being gone maybe it was Sweden. Sweden requires 2,700 joules/2,000 ft lbs for 139 gr to 154 gr bullets.

I was certain that's not true in Norway, and 2 seconds of google showed it's not. The 6.5CM with a 139 gr bullet is 100% legal to use on Big Game in Norway, meeting both bullet weight and energy requirements:

https://www.face.eu/sites/default/files/norway_en.pdf

For moose, red deer, follow deer, wild reindeer, wild boar, wild sheep, musk ox, wolf and bear,
ammunition with expanding bullets weighing a minimum 9 grams is required.

a) ammunition whose bullets weigh between 9 and 10 grams (139 and 154 grains) must have an
impact energy of at least 2700 joules (275 kg/m) at a range of 100 metres, E 100.

b) ammunition whose bullets weigh more than 10 grams (154 grains or more) must have an
impact energy of at least 2200 joules (225 kg/m) at a range of 100 metres, E 100.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For whatever it's worth, back in the 70's Norway set minimum cartridge requirements. They poll their hunters upon success, voluntary, on cartridge, distance animal ran after a broadside lung hit...as a result they now require a 10 gram bullet (bye 6.5 140 gr) and a 1475 ft pounds of energy at 100 meters (bye, a lot of cartridges). Whether the decision to do this was based on good poll data or not, we don't know. I do know, or used to know, that the Norwegians took their hunting very serious...requiring hunters to pass a basic competency test. I think Barsness had to take the test on his trip back to the old country...but memory being gone maybe it was Sweden. Sweden requires 2,700 joules/2,000 ft lbs for 139 gr to 154 gr bullets.

I hunted red deer in Norway in 1996, and there were no questions about whether my rifle was legal, and in fact I don't remember even having anybody ask about it.

Have never hunted in Sweden, but hunted moose and whitetails in Finland in 2015. That was hosted by Sako and included and include a tour of the Sako/Tikka factory in Riihimaki. It also included a number of other gun/hunting, writers and not just from the U.S. but Europe. The company loaned us all rifles during the hunt, all .308s if I recall correctly, and we all had to shoot the "two-headed" running moose target, because the hunting was all done by drives using dogs. (Was also told that the test was being phased out, because so many Finnish hunters were getting too old to pass it, but don't know if that happened.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

In a more recent article (from September), Craig Boddington says that, "For deer of any size, the old .270 is hard to beat, and it’s still one of our best non-magnum choices."

The article also states that he believes the 6.5 Creedmoor is marginal for big deer. It goes on to say, "after a decade of popularity, many are questioning the Creedmoor on bigger deer."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/bigger-guns-for-bigger-bucks/482737

My personal experience is that I can't tell any difference between the field performance of the various medium-powered 6.5s (6.5x55, .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor) on big deer and the .270 Winchester. That also includes various larger 6.5s from the the 6.5-06 class--including the the 6.5-06 itself--up through the .264 Winchester, and various .270 "magnums" including the .270 WSM and .270 Weatherby. This is also after having used all of them in the field not just on whitetail, mule, axis and fallow deer fairly often on but on bigger deer such as caribou and elk.

Have mentioned this elsewhere, but don't comprehend why 6.5s and .270s using the same basic bullets, whether in weight or construction, would have different results. Some might mention "physics" as the reason due to the larger diameter of .270 bullets, but have hard time believing an extra .013" in bullet diameter makes any perceptible difference--since it's about the thickness of the average business card.

When hunting all those deer with various 6.5s I have used bullets from 120-grain monolithics to 140-grain lead-cores, and with various .270s have used 130-150 grain bullets, again from monos to lead-cores. Also fail to see what affect an average of 10 grains of bullet weight might have had, since all the bullets penetrated more than sufficiently.

In fact the last "deer" I took with a 6.5 was a big cow elk 10 days ago, which weighed around 350 field-dressed. The cartridge was the 6.5 PRC and the bullet the 127-grain Barnes LRX, started at a little over 3000 fps. The cow was quartering strongly to me at around 200 yards. At the shot she dropped and never moved, because the bullet entered the chest just inside the near shoulder, clipped the bottom of the spine and ended up somewhere in the innards beyond.

I had plenty of confidence in that load because have used it before on somewhat smaller deer--and Eileen used a 130-grain TTSX from her custom .308 Winchester to drop another big cow at 250 yards a few years ago, also quartering toward us, and that bullet was loaded to 2850 fps to reduce recoil.

Might also mention something Finn Aagaard wrote years ago in an article titled "Guns of the Settlers," about his first several decades of hunting in Kenya. He started keeping a hunting journal in 1956, and after many years came to the conclusion that the specific big game cartridge didn't matter all that much, because blue wildebeest (supposedly one of the toughest of plains game) ran about as far after being shot through the lungs with any cartridge from the smaller 6.5mms to the .375 H&H. His last sentence reads: “Even today, as it always has been, it is not the rifle or its cartridge that matters so much, but rather the skill and knowledge of the rifleman-hunter who is using it.”

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
JB, My information was wrong, (thanks African Hunting .com) I just looked at the Bronnoysund Registry....the last phrase in every sentence regarding requirements for hunters..."or documentation of experience from the hunter's home country.", which I assume to be a license from your home state, meaning no test? Reading the Registry rules I get the impression, it is primarily for the first time hunter.
Bergara has an article by Martin Bie-Erichson on Norway hunting requirements...he mentions nothing of cartridge rules either. In any case, I won't be going back to the old country...but if I did, I'd take enough gun to meet the published rules, just in case somebody was enforcing them.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few things I find interesting is:

The 270 parent case is the 3003 …….it’s longer than the 3006.

Mule Deer really opened my eyes a long time ago here when he said something like it’s funny when people debate the differences between a 3006 and a 270.

In real life terms …..I realized there isn’t.

Yet these articles dissect the minutiae to the point of “ if you use X, instead of Y, you not only won’t get Z…….you should be banished from seeking Z.”

In other words if you like Y and not X…….Santa won’t be coming to your house!

It seems to me …..

the 6.5 needs lighter bullets for varmits
will a 6,5 rifle twist allow this? I dunno.

the 270 needs heavier bullets for long range…..
to accomplish this….a 270 barrel needs more twist,.

Then they would be very comparable ordinants.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/25/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
In an article in the current issue of "American Rifleman," Craig Boddington states that, "In my opinion these three similar 6.5mms (6.5x55, .260 Remington, and 6.5 Creedmoor), despite the magical properties currently attributed to them, do not equal the 96-year-old .270 Winchester as a hunting cartridge."

He then goes on to describe why in four pages. It's a good read.

In a more recent article (from September), Craig Boddington says that, "For deer of any size, the old .270 is hard to beat, and it’s still one of our best non-magnum choices."

The article also states that he believes the 6.5 Creedmoor is marginal for big deer. It goes on to say, "after a decade of popularity, many are questioning the Creedmoor on bigger deer."

https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/bigger-guns-for-bigger-bucks/482737

My personal experience is that I can't tell any difference between the field performance of the various medium-powered 6.5s (6.5x55, .260 and 6.5 Creedmoor) on big deer and the .270 Winchester. That also includes various larger 6.5s from the the 6.5-06 class--including the the 6.5-06 itself--up through the .264 Winchester, and various .270 "magnums" including the .270 WSM and .270 Weatherby. This is also after having used all of them in the field not just on whitetail, mule, axis and fallow deer fairly often on but on bigger deer such as caribou and elk.

Have mentioned this elsewhere, but don't comprehend why 6.5s and .270s using the same basic bullets, whether in weight or construction, would have different results. Some might mention "physics" as the reason due to the larger diameter of .270 bullets, but have hard time believing an extra .013" in bullet diameter makes any perceptible difference--since it's about the thickness of the average business card.

When hunting all those deer with various 6.5s I have used bullets from 120-grain monolithics to 140-grain lead-cores, and with various .270s have used 130-150 grain bullets, again from monos to lead-cores. Also fail to see what affect an average of 10 grains of bullet weight might have had, since all the bullets penetrated more than sufficiently.

In fact the last "deer" I took with a 6.5 was a big cow elk 10 days ago, which weighed around 350 field-dressed. The cartridge was the 6.5 PRC and the bullet the 127-grain Barnes LRX, started at a little over 3000 fps. The cow was quartering strongly to me at around 200 yards. At the shot she dropped and never moved, because the bullet entered the chest just inside the near shoulder, clipped the bottom of the spine and ended up somewhere in the innards beyond.

I had plenty of confidence in that load because have used it before on somewhat smaller deer--and Eileen used a 130-grain TTSX from her custom .308 Winchester to drop another big cow at 250 yards a few years ago, also quartering toward us, and that bullet was loaded to 2850 fps to reduce recoil.

Might also mention something Finn Aagaard wrote years ago in an article titled "Guns of the Settlers," about his first several decades of hunting in Kenya. He started keeping a hunting journal in 1956, and after many years came to the conclusion that the specific big game cartridge didn't matter all that much, because blue wildebeest (supposedly one of the toughest of plains game) ran about as far after being shot through the lungs with any cartridge from the smaller 6.5mms to the .375 H&H. His last sentence reads: “Even today, as it always has been, it is not the rifle or its cartridge that matters so much, but rather the skill and knowledge of the rifleman-hunter who is using it.”

In hunting Manitoba and Saskatchewan, I'm continually amazed at the chamberings that show up with first-time hunters to Canada. "These are a lot bigger deer than we have in PA, FL, etc., ergo, 300 Win Mags, 300 WBY and 300 RUM"........just to kill a big-bodied whitetail. And many of those were brand-spanking-new rifles purchased for the hunt.

Common sense and experience sure do go a long way - it'd behoove Mr. Boddington to exercise a bit of both.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also mention something Finn Aagaard wrote years ago in an article titled "Guns of the Settlers," about his first several decades of hunting in Kenya........

His last sentence reads: “Even today, as it always has been, it is not the rifle or its cartridge that matters so much, but rather the skill and knowledge of the rifleman-hunter who is using it.”

A quick recollection (does not consider other deer sized critters)

I have killed deer with....

Tac-20
243 Win
25-06 Rrem
257 Wby
6.5 x 55
260 Rem
26 Nosler
270 Win
270 WSM
6.8 Western
7mm-08
280 Rem
7 mag
7 STW
30 WCF
308 Win
30-06 Srpingfiled
300 H&H
300 Win Mag
300 RUM
325 WSM
338 RUM
35 Whelen
375 H&H
45-70

I would tend to agree with FA.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/25/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Lou_270
Me and son did few free range exotic hunts few years back. These guys do high / low fence hunts and hunt nearly 365 days a year. See tons of animals killed of all sizes. Far more than any other outfitters in US I would wager. They hated 6.5 creedmoor. Said lose far more animals hit with it than other rounds, even the 243 which they liked. On way back from hunt we ran into another outfitter at gas station and he asked what I was using and said good not that stupid creedmoor. So, as Boddington stated there is disdain out there. My party had several 6.5 CM shooting 139 scenars in it on one hunt and performed great. Being a gun guy I kept picking at it since did not make sense to me and best we could come up with is maybe related to bullets guys are using on average wirh Creedmoor since happy with 243/my parties results with 6.5.

Lou

I suspect the reasoning behind the guide/outfitter's disdain for the 6.5 Creedmoor is directly tied to the owners of them having entirely too much faith in what they've read vs. what they've done.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JB, My information was wrong, (thanks African Hunting .com) I just looked at the Bronnoysund Registry....the last phrase in every sentence regarding requirements for hunters..."or documentation of experience from the hunter's home country.", which I assume to be a license from your home state, meaning no test? Reading the Registry rules I get the impression, it is primarily for the first time hunter.

Bergara has an article by Martin Bie-Erichson on Norway hunting requirements...he mentions nothing of cartridge rules either. In any case, I won't be going back to the old country...but if I did, I'd take enough gun to meet the published rules, just in case somebody was enforcing them.

..."or documentation of experience from the hunter's home country."

While 1996 was a while ago, that jogged a memory-center in my brain. I went to Norway with my late friend and fellow writer Tom McIntyre, who often contacted the travel/tourism departments of various countries to ask if they'd be interested in having American gun writers come over to hunt and publish articles on their experiences. One year he decided we should go to Norway, and when he contacted the Norwegian tourism department they paid our way, and arranged an itinerary....

It was very interesting to discover how easy it was to get into the country with our rifles. We landed in Oslo, and the two custom officers who greeted us were a pair of guys who looked to be around 30. (Tom and I were in our mid-40s.) We showed them our American hunting licenses, along with the U.S. Customs forms for our rifles--which can serve as "registration" for entering other countries, but are also meant to prove we had the firearms when we left home, and weren't trying to smuggle in "foreign" firearms.

After showing them our papers they sent is on our way. They didn't even ask us to open our gun cases--just wished us good luck hunting!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1

Lou

I suspect the reasoning behind the guide/outfitter's disdain for the 6.5 Creedmoor is directly tied to the owners of them having entirely too much faith in what they've read vs. what they've done.

Could be. The outfitters/guides themselves were not gun guys but hate having the “you draw blood you pay” conversation. That is all they really cared about vs having some strong caliber bias as far as I could tell. They asked me what I thought as knew I was gun guy and basically said only thing I can think of is bad bullets (or at least wrong for the type of shots/game). assuming the average 6.5 cm shootet was not worse than the average everything else shooter. I said make sure the ammo clients are using are intended for hunting and maybe at least had a deer or some other game animal picture on the box.

Lou

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Even discounting your fame preceding you, by and large, Norwegians, other than my relatives and myself, are an easygoing, sensible bunch.
Nothing to do with guns or hunting, but a cousin whom I occasionally correspond with in the old country, tells me, "do not be deceived by the newspapers, we (the Progress Populist party) do not approve of Muslim immigration, no, never." Sound familiar? LOL

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Lou

Could be. The outfitters/guides themselves were not gun guys but hate having the “you draw blood you pay” conversation. That is all they really cared about vs having some strong caliber bias as far as I could tell. They asked me what I thought as knew I was gun guy and basically said only thing I can think of is bad bullets (or at least wrong for the type of shots/game). assuming the average 6.5 cm shootet was not worse than the average everything else shooter. I said make sure the ammo clients are using are intended for hunting and maybe at least had a deer or some other game animal picture on the box.

Lou

I have 2 good friends who've never met nor spoken. Both have identical (except for color) NULA 270Win rifles topped with NF NXS 2.5-10x42 IHR reticle scopes. 1 uses 140 Accubonds w/H4831, the other 150gn Partitions w/R-26. Both went Dall Sheep/Caribou hunting in '21. One in AK, the other in NWT Canada. Both got some "looks" from other hunters in camp and guides for "only" having 10x as their top power setting on their scope, 270Win vs. something "PRC/Creedmoor/etc", and no VLD-esque projectiles. Most of the rest of the camp had setups much more along the "tactical" lines, Hubbles mounted atop, pole-vault carbon-fiber wrapped barrels, some with rather large suppressors attached etc etc etc. Both filled their sheep tag with no "drama" regarding rifle/projectile performance nor bullet placement. Of course as they started filling tags (multiple animal hunts), others wanted a closer look at their "old-school" rifle setups. "This damn thing is a toy" was the most often heard response to others picking up the NULA. In the end as it almost always is, the guys who show up with stuff that's well practiced and employable by instinct typically end up with things working as they should upon being offered an opportunity by Mother Nature.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
.243=.257=.264=.277=.284=.308=.323=.338

Basically the .243win is the same as a .340 weatherby.

However after .338 these rules don’t apply. The 35 bores are vastly superior. It’s only after the .338 that the magic starts to happen. Lmoa

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
John
Do you realize what you have started with your statement pasted below? Heads will and are both exploding and imploding.
“Some might mention "physics" as the reason due to the larger diameter of .270 bullets, but have hard time believing an extra .013" in bullet diameter makes any perceptible difference--since it's about the thickness of the average business card”
How many times have we heard some fire members extolling the virtues of the 280 vs the 270? The difference between these two cartridges is less than the previous referenced .013”. Just stiring the Christmas pot.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
"This damn thing is a toy" was the most often heard response to others picking up the NULA. In the end as it almost always is, the guys who show up with stuff that's well practiced and employable by instinct typically end up with things working as they should upon being offered an opportunity by Mother Nature.

"This damn thing is a toy". Where have I heard that before, more than once.....

Although these days I prefer Accubonds, I've yet to find that 130 gr. Accubonds or Ballistic tips over 60Gr. of H 4831SC to be lacking on the game that I shoot.

Quien Sabe

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/25/23.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If memory serves he has expressed his fascination for long range shooting, but disdane for long range hunting. It has been a while and I can't recall the specifics. I want to say it was because he felt bullet time of flight allowed critters to move or shift themselves a bit more than he was comfortable with, before impact. I do not recall his yardage 'limit' but hope he has rethought his stance, based on more experience.
Why would he rethink his stance? He's right. When you're talking a full second of flight time, animals move. Happens a lot more often on long range shots than the long rangers care to admit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think if you rethink what you need to hunt with, you could rethink taking longer shots.

Or not.

Seems you need buddies, ( spotters) , gizmos, ( wind dopers, bipods, tri pods, muzzel do whippees) way points, permission and enhanced shooting skills.

I always wonder how you find em, or even where to start tracking them to find them When you took a shot 800 yards away.

I kinda like Elmer Keith’s deal……

“ If you think yer close enough…….

Get closer.”

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/25/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by T_Inman
If memory serves he has expressed his fascination for long range shooting, but disdane for long range hunting. It has been a while and I can't recall the specifics. I want to say it was because he felt bullet time of flight allowed critters to move or shift themselves a bit more than he was comfortable with, before impact. I do not recall his yardage 'limit' but hope he has rethought his stance, based on more experience.
Why would he rethink his stance? He's right. When you're talking a full second of flight time, animals move. Happens a lot more often on long range shots than the long rangers care to admit.

Originally Posted by Angus1895
I think if you rethink what you need to hunt with, you could rethink taking longer shots.

Or not.

Seems you need buddies, ( spotters) , gizmos, ( wind dopers, bipods, tri pods, muzzel do whippees) way points, permission and enhanced shooting skills.

I always wonder how you find em, or even where to start tracking them to find them When you took a shot 800 yards away.

I kinda like Elmer Keith’s deal……

“ If you think yer close enough…….

Get closer.”

+/- 175 yds to the spin cast feeder in the foreground.

IIRC, +/- 670 yds to left dot, 900 yds. to right dot, 1,200 yds to middle dot (ranged with Leica Rangefinder)

My preferred targets are pigs, as I can take them year round. Pigs are constantly moving. At 175 yds, I have had them move over 12" between the time my brain sez' squeeze, my finger pulls the trigger and the bullet impacts.

Long shots in my neck of the woods are a good way to lose an animal.

ya!

GWB

Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.