Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here are both scumbag owners of the animals.
The women's sister was recently arrested for threatening witnesses.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Had a 14 yo pit mix ( pit + marshmallow) over for dinner last night, to complement the hyper-active sled dog / plus our Lab-mix and Wiener. Maybe a good thing the other two neighbors didn't show up with their dogs. Doigs with legit owners geneerally settle thing among themselves. Generally.

Henry laid around and only growled once when the sled and Lab ran over him in their rough-housing. Choko the Wunder Wiener went over and licked his chops.

Damn - I hate pits..... smile

On the other hand, My son's pit/Lab mix down in Wis lives to eat Choko when we visit.. It's a matter of perspective, observation, and control of the situation.

I don't dismiss 1911s.. smile

Last edited by las; 12/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by las
Had a 14 yo pit mix ( pit + marshmallow) over for dinner last night, to complement the hyper-active sled dog / plus our Lab-mix and Wiener. Maybe a good thing the other two neighbors didn't show up with their dogs.

Henry laid around and only growled once when the sled and Lab ran over him in their rough-housing. Choko the Wunder Wiener went over and licked his chops.

Well that's a huge relief! Good to know that pits aren't implicated in literally thousands of attacks on children and old people all around the world. Whew ..

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by las
Had a 14 yo pit mix ( pit + marshmallow) over for dinner last night, to complement the hyper-active sled dog / plus our Lab-mix and Wiener. Maybe a good thing the other two neighbors didn't show up with their dogs.

Well that's a huge relief! Good to know that pits aren't implicated in literally thousands of attacks on children and old people all around the world. Whew ..

They certainly get the press.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
#statsmeannothingtome

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Last edited by longarm; 12/25/23.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by longarm
#statsmeannothingtome

They get the press.

JFYI - I've met dozens of pits nd pit mixes. Once we fostered a pitl/Lab mix until he could be adopted.. When my Lab was being an [bleep] the pup rightly backed him across the room with 10" whit. :)fangs. No offense, mind you.... My wife wanted to trade in my full Lab...:) Sweathearts all, as far as I knew them, anyway. Not to say some of the breed doesn't have issues- some owners of such more so in expecttions and training of their "attack" dogs, or lack there-of.

Would not totally trust but a very familiar one. Or any dog- pit's get a little more caution. I trust my son's dog only within parameters. He would never hurt a people. They both got badly mauled by two loose pits when they were in Denver... Blaze doesn't fight...Those two aggressive pits should have been put down the first time, much less the third. Probably their owners too....

I read dogs better than I do people. What I see first-off is what the dog is generally like. But then dogs like me, for some reason. Not as much as they like my #2 son, which is pretty amazing.

People lie from the git-go.

Sort of like blacks...

Individually, I can develop trust on acquaintance. Two or more together, not so much. Like dogs, the paradigm changes with pack numbers.

Ironbender has a pitmix. My dachsund chased him around the house at Mike's place on first acquaintance, 10 minutes later the fool dog was' laying on his side in the kitchen with Choko mauling him. Bad dog! His daughters full pit ignored them all.

You can go with "everyone knows ", but I'll go with my personal experience. At least until it bites me.... smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
las,
Wasn't speaking directly to your experience, sorry if it came off that way. I have owned Labs for over half a century, bred them for 20. Never an incident. I'm exhausted by the fools that find excuses for owning the miserable PsOS called pits.
Your analogy is spot on.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
One size does not fit all.

While there are propensities to any breed, owners wield much influence!I. . When i was in Kotzebue, a neighbor acquired a yellow Lab for a hunting pard, well - it was white- I was the receiving agent for the airline at the airport. I took the pup out of the cage and he slobbered all over me after I was done with the flight, but not like when Dean got there. The dog instinctively knew who he was to go with! Un fortunately for Dean, the dog came from a "personal Assistant line". No hunting/ retrieving instinct at all! Big 100# plus dog -Loved to play with my Lab tho- and at 2 years old was given away to a family with 5 kids - that dogs's idea of heaven - and replaced with a "real" Lab, who a couple years later warned Dean of a stalking grizzly, coming silently through the brush while they were waterfowl hunting. Killed with a load of birdshot at 5 yards.

That "stupid" thing would just sit there while my Lab would race around and around and and jump back and forth over the top of him.
ird gitter!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The breed has a clearly demonstrated propensity/problem. Statistically it is outsized relative to its popularity. Can this be disputed?

So.. when the owners aren't home? When the owners leave the door open? When the dog digs under the fence? When.. etc etc etc etc.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
las,
How many times are you going to edit that response? Was that the third or fourth edit? laugh

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As I thought I indicated, I use a mite more caution around pits and pit mixes, but I do not condemn all individuals of the breed out of hand, as is the seemingly wont of many posters here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by las
As I thought I indicated, I use a mite more caution around pits and pit mixes, but I do not condemn all individuals of the breed out of hand, as is the seemingly wont of many posters here.

Ok. Cool for you.
How about the kids who get their faces chewed off?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steveredd1
Originally Posted by Pat85
Where is this guy when you need him? lol

I would have jumped down and beat there heads to a pulp

The guy did well. Not sure what the woman was wailing about.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
las

So let's say a fella owns a GSP, but for whatever reason he is against bird hunting. Say the same fella owns a Lab too but he is against his dog swimming, for whatever reason.

You figure this fella can communicate to his dogs in a meaningful way such that they will never do what comes naturally to them - What they were bred to do - with or without him present?

This is what we are talking about.
And no I don't buy the century and a half old horse sh*t re "but they were a nanny breed!" Just take a hard look at the stats. They haven't been a nanny breed for a long time. They don't belong in modern society. It's that simple.

Last edited by longarm; 12/25/23. Reason: Typo
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Multi year fatal attacks by breed.

Last edited by longarm; 12/25/23. Reason: Additional info
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
And I am saying some here are overly paranoid about an issue that is of only somewhat concern and caution.Not dismissive, certainly. You and others come across as a zealot.

I've killed 5 or 6 overly aggressive dogs for cause, and not one of them had pit in them. Not a pit or pit mix of my acquaintance has ever been a problem. In my experience. Which is what I live by, at my age. Not statistics, which may be the 4th great lie. I use MY judgement,not based on web statistics, but based on MY experience. YMMV

Perhaps I live in a better environment (or naive? ) than you do. Or have less reliance on the web...

A neighbor a half mile down the road has two pits. Jack and Jill. When we walk by Jill always comes out to make friendly/for a pet. At first my Honey HalfLab tried to bully her. After 5 or 6 times, Jill was fed up, knocked Honey down and stood on her. No hackles, no teeth, just "enough of this chit!" No prob. Jack was always on a chain and went bonkers when we walked by.

One day he wasn't.

A half-ounce off the trigger, he slammed to a halt 5 feet from Honey and wagged his tail.

I have no problem with that.

At 3 feet...

I think we are on the same page now, Jack and i. I could be wrong, but I've got the difference.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Your/my experiences are both anecdotal. Which is to say our personal experiences aren't large enough to draw significant statistical inference from.
You met a nice pit.. super! This isn't what we're talking about.

You haven't addressed any of the information above. Why is that? Statistics and records just don't matter to pit sympathizers? Well that would be quite a coincidence..

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, carry on with your paranoia. Don't make no diff to me.

FJB won with 81M votes....

All reality is personal.

Last edited by las; 12/26/23.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Let me get this straight.. You said in your previous post, before you edit it out, that you consider me "a zealot." Buddy, the deal is I have dogs that are very valuable to me, both financially and personally. I've had issues with pit bulls, owned by dirtbag drug addicts, charging in and attacking my dogs.

Why does it always seem to be drug addicts and dirtbags with pitbulls?

Given that you are a sympathizer, please go ahead and explain to me why pit bulls are indicated as the number one breed in fatal attacks on children and old people. I'll stay up and wait for your answer..

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,118
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.