Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I posted a few years ago about Leadhead bullets. When I was into 45LC I shot his 315 LFN type bullet. Believe he's since passed and molds sold and never used again. Loved it. Wanting to get back into 45....there are not too many Google-able cast bullet sources. Montana is there, but they're more than I pay for jacketed XTPs-which generally shoot very accurately. Missouri has a 315 Slammer that looks sexy but inaccurate.

Rimrock maybe the bang for the buck with a 270K ? Other than those three options, are there any smaller Back Yard casters selling decent bullets that I am overlooking?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Ken
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Take a look at Accurate Molds. He has more die designs available than you can imagine, Or you can design your own. It just don’t get no better than that! memtb

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

Last edited by memtb; 12/25/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by memtb
Take a look at Accurate Molds. He has more die designs available than you can imagine, Or you can design your own. It just don’t get no better than that! memtb

This.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve never cast a bullet or even watched anyone cast bullets. I have watched a few videos lately. How much $$$ to get started from scratch ?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I’ve never cast a bullet or even watched anyone cast bullets. I have watched a few videos lately. How much $$$ to get started from scratch ?

I started at about age 19 with a bullet mold, a cast iron pot, a lead dipper, and a bunch of wheel weights. Melted my lead on our kitchen stove, making certain to run the ventilation fan, fluxing (a multitude of things can be used as flux) the lead occasionally to keep the tin from separating from the alloy.

For me, very little has changed today…..except my heat source is no longer the kitchen stove and wheel weights are no longer free…….plus they require sorting out the undesirable weights.

Today, with the advent of powder coating bullets……you no longer need a sizer/lubricator, which saves you $. And there are some sizing methods that allow you to use your reloading press for the sizing step. With some molds, sizing may not even be required!

I was a poor boy when starting out, I used a sizing die from a Lyman Tong tool in my reloading press. My bullet lubing consisted of……putting my bullets into a small canvas bag with a tablespoon or two of lithium grease, roll them around a bit, and dump them into a plastic container. When loading them, grab one, wipe the bullet base on an old sock or towel, and start the bullet into the case. It doesn’t get much cheaper than that…..or more Neanderthal! But, I was able to do a lot of shooting using that system!

Today you have vast resources (books, YouTube, shooting forums, ect) of information available to learn the fundamentals, that weren’t available in the early ‘70’s!

Summary…….it cost very little to set-up to cast bullets! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/26/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
The Western 270-K looks to be a decent bullet and priced correctly. Many thanks

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ordered a few hunerd 270K and some 300 K gas checked from Western. We will see. Thank you. I saw a link for Matt's Bullets on a Ruger forum but could get it to work.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Regarding Western Bullet Delivery

BE PATIENT you will get your bullets but it will probably take a while.

FWIW,

Paul

Try this link for Matts

https://www.mattsbullets.com/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've bought a bunch of badman bullets. I pretty much love pc'ed bullets.

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/products.php?cat=45+Caliber+255+Grain+SWC+Polymer+Coated

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (219DW, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.