Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have decided to jump into the muzzleloader world after 40 years of center fire experience. The only things I have decided on are .50 inline and the need for a peep sight. My eyes just can’t use standard irons - even the good fiber optics. I will likely want the ability to utilize a scope to where legal.

Please advise on decent entry level options around $500 or less. Accuracy and ease of use/cleaning will be key factors for me. I will likely go the buckhorn route but if there are better powder options I’m all ears. I really know nothing about this and am open to even the most basic advice.

Thanks in advance.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought one of these recently and think it’s a bargain. If using BH209, you’ll want the BH breechplug.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/cva-optima-muzzleloaders/products/cva-optimatm-v2-pr2020s

I think this rail will fit the Optima V2, as the holes seem to be in the right place, but I’d check with EABCO just to be sure.

https://eabco.com/eabco-cva-scout-peeprib-kit.html

Blackhorn 209 is scarce and fearsomely expensive now. One of the pellets like White Hots may be more practical. 777 works very well, but I’ve had some go bad in a sealed new container, so while I still use some, I don’t really trust it. BH209 needs the strongest primers you can find. 777 and pellets from the same “family” like White Hots run cleaner with the milder special primers, but go bang just fine with any of them.

Don’t fear real BP. It can be pretty easy to clean up after with the right stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WWDBS? (What would Daniel Boone say?)

He would probably jump at anything that would make his shooting/hunting more efficient. But, the thing is he didn't have our stuff, so it boils down to one's personal sense of aesthetics, sense of history/nostalgia, and goals, depending on one's aims regarding whether to emulate or eschew the ancients.

To each his own and Merry blackpowder smoke-filled Christmas!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I sold off my vicious kicking 12 gauge slug gun when the regs changed and ML rifles were authorized. Based upon reviews and YouTube videos, I bought a CVA Optima in 50 caliber. Been delighted ever since!

Scope is a very clear and bright Bushnell featuring 1.5-4.5X settings.

My most accurate load:
- Harvester sabot cup designed for 44 caliber bullets
- 270 grain Speer bullet
- 112 grains of 777
- Remington 209 cap

I'm shooting consistent two-inch groups at 100 yards with this outfit. Recoil is moderate and easy on the shoulder. Lethal performance is outstanding producing wide wound channels every time. But I've never recovered an expanded bullet because of 100% penetration.

I really don't shoot my Optima much since it was dialed in some time ago. It holds its zero perfectly without further adjustments. Cleaning is easy; just follow the notes within the Owners Manual.

Good hunting to you!
Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
WWDBS? (What would Daniel Boone say?)

He would probably jump at anything that would make his shooting/hunting more efficient. But, the thing is he didn't have our stuff, so it boils down to one's personal sense of aesthetics, sense of history/nostalgia, and goals, depending on one's aims regarding whether to emulate or eschew the ancients.

To each his own and Merry blackpowder smoke-filled Christmas!

I shoot ‘em all, but draw the line at calling the modern ones using substitutes “black powder guns”. Muzzleloader is accurate.

The language will take some time to morph into compliance.🧐

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I handled that Optima V2 the other day@ Scheels and aside from the sites it was pretty nice. The had Blackhorn and a nice selection of projectiles too. May snag one next week.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it was good enough for Union snipers, it's good enough for me. Have no use for little boy toys.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by strosfann
I handled that Optima V2 the other day@ Scheels and aside from the sites it was pretty nice. The had Blackhorn and a nice selection of projectiles too. May snag one next week.

The forend is a bit square, but the stock is ambidextrous. Not bad for a $300 rifle. I’ll do some more futzing with mine when the weather breaks. The scope is shifting POI a bit, so it needs replacing too. Got a bunch of bullets, sabots, and BH, 777, and good old stinky black. New Garmin coming too, so no more guessing.

We only get a week here of anything-goes ML, but the primitive season is coming up soon; four days with sidelocks and irons only. One ES deer, a bear, and an ES turkey. Rotsa ruck finding a bear now!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Entry level goodies are the CVA Wolf and T/C Impact.
You can buy either one dressed-out & scoped for under $500 complete.

Pay no mind to the powder and bullet suggestions here. You asked about getting a gun and I'd advise to take this sport one step at a time and try to absorb it-all slowly. You got all summer to learn about bullets and powders.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
CVA Optima non thumbhole stock.

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Have had a CVA optima for a few years shooting white hots, scoped. Very pleased. Not heavy..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.