Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
We've been in the midst of rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, rinse, repeat off and on since Friday (12/22). So I've spent some time on the couch with the dog watching TV. I occasionally stop on the Outdoor Channel, especially for the cooking shows, but, sometimes other shows catch my interest with their intro.

I probably shouldn't be, but, given that the principals of these TV show's main job is to showcase products, there's an awful high percentage of poorly placed shots. It doesn't seem to matter if they're shooting arrows or bullets, there's a LOT of poor placement.

"We're going to back out and go check the film before we follow XX critter, we think the shot may be a little far back." Ya think? Someone oughta remind those folks ahead of the camera that the vitals are AHEAD of the diaphragm.

The crown jewel in all of this is probably Greg Ritz's huge bull elk shot right behind the ear with an arrow. The bull was certainly DRT, but, I can't imagine that's where he was aiming. He missed the traditional "vitals" by at least 2'.

Uff, I need this precip to stop so I can go shoot some birds......

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With few exceptions, the recurring theme in most hunting shows; "I hit him a little far back so we're going to give him some time (or wait until tomorrow)".
Memo to all of them - more shooting practice, less time stirring hype on Instagram and Facebook.

Szchit, I tuned-out hunting shows quite some time ago and without watching, now you've gotten me riled up. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wonder just how many are wounded and lost in "long range" hunting?

H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by SKane
With few exceptions, the recurring theme in most hunting shows; "I hit him a little far back so we're going to give him some time (or wait until tomorrow)".
Memo to all of them - more shooting practice, less time stirring hype on Instagram and Facebook.

Szchit, I tuned-out hunting shows quite some time ago and without watching, now you've gotten me riled up. laugh

I do like "Farming the Wild" as he makes some pretty doggone tasty looking dishes. Also his shooting (at least that which makes it on the show) is typically quite precise. The driven Boar hunting guys also seem to be able to shoot quite well, and more often than not, on moving targets to-boot.

"Behind the Shoulder" looks to mean "behind the ribs" to an awful lot of these clowns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
"Behind the Shoulder" looks to mean "behind the ribs" to an awful lot of these clowns.

Amen.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

H
horse1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by duke61
I wonder just how many are wounded and lost in "long range" hunting?

You mean by the people who manage gut-shoot deer with bows/crossbows @ 20yds off the corn-flinger pile?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have to admit , I been known to hit them too far back.

I think for me it was inherent. Aim “ just behind” means ( try to miss your mark). The anatomy of ruminants usually has the diaphragm attach at the 7 th rib on the sternum. So there is little if any lungfield behind the front leg ventrally .

I started aiming at the intersection of the front leg with the center of neck. Positive aiming point, proper anatomical placement. Have had much better results.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/26/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

If you did that where I hunt they will be some well fed coyotes. All you will get is a torn up hide, some scattered bones and, if you a lucky, a chewed up head.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
On the archery shows "double lunged" means anything in front of the back legs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I watch YouTube during slow times on night shift. The amount of clowns with no business shooting at anything, who are trying to shoot 500-900 yards or more is ridiculous. And then they publish it, blows my mind. Ass shots, gut shots, airball misses by 3 or more feet seem the norm. But they all, “think it was a good shot” or “smoked him”, when it’s clear for everyone to see that it was a poor shot.

One I watched recently two guys lobbing shots at mule deer in NV or AZ and one guy finally “smokes” one after several misses that could be measured in yards. The hit luckily broke the buck’s spine but it was immediately in front of his hips and he thrashed until expiring since they were too far to go put a finisher in. And the dumbass is in the comments defending his skills and equipment, he’s good enough and does this all the time, it was just a little windy that day but we shot anyway. Fuggin clowns

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They almost always shot the animal in broad daylight, and is full blown nighttime when they recover it.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
I watch YouTube during slow times on night shift. The amount of clowns with no business shooting at anything, who are trying to shoot 500-900 yards or more is ridiculous. And then they publish it, blows my mind. Ass shots, gut shots, airball misses by 3 or more feet seem the norm. But they all, “think it was a good shot” or “smoked him”, when it’s clear for everyone to see that it was a poor shot.

One I watched recently two guys lobbing shots at mule deer in NV or AZ and one guy finally “smokes” one after several misses that could be measured in yards. The hit luckily broke the buck’s spine but it was immediately in front of his hips and he thrashed until expiring since they were too far to go put a finisher in. And the dumbass is in the comments defending his skills and equipment, he’s good enough and does this all the time, it was just a little windy that day but we shot anyway. Fuggin clowns

In a nutshell this is exactly what 95% of them are. I find the vast majority unwatchable. The idiots at Gunwerks, the "1000 yards out of the box" clowns, actually had a couple of published youtube videos with obvious ass shot and gut shot elk. Clowns is putting it nicely.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see that I am not alone in feeling most shooting on these shows is nothing short of appalling.I won't even tune in to any show with bow hunters on it......

Saw a mini-series put together by a bunch of noted outdoor writers -our own JB was NOT amongst them-in South Africa. They were easily the poorest bunch of shooters I've ever seen, worse than the run of the mill Bubba on regular outdoor TV.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Driven Boar Hunters over in Europe are a class act. Unfortunately Outdoor Channel always puts them on on Saturdays when I'm usually hunting or fishing so I don't see them often

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and hunters wounder why they are looked down on from non hunters

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny, I'm watching the OC right now and a bowhunter just stuck a trophy whitetail in the azz at less than 20 yards. After reviewing the footage they were "excited" because they think they got the femoral artery. Deer went 100 yards and now they're calling it an "awesome, awesome hunt". Too funny

Last edited by moosemike; 12/26/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As one who has had a lot of shots filmed and filmed many more I know video shows things many hunters didn't see at the time.

There is a video of an elk I shot where all shots can be seen clearly hitting in the vitals, on HD video, and a few here still lie about hitting a horn.

People see a lot of what they want to see. Just like in real life if you watch other people shoot your going to see bad shooting at times.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
I see that I am not alone in feeling most shooting on these shows is nothing short of appalling.I won't even tune in to any show with bow hunters on it......

Saw a mini-series put together by a bunch of noted outdoor writers -our own JB was NOT amongst them-in South Africa. They were easily the poorest bunch of shooters I've ever seen, worse than the run of the mill Bubba on regular outdoor TV.

Yep.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
As one who has had a lot of shots filmed and filmed many more I know video shows things many hunters didn't see at the time.

There is a video of an elk I shot where all shots can be seen clearly hitting in the vitals, on HD video, and a few here still lie about hitting a horn.

People see a lot of what they want to see. Just like in real life if you watch other people shoot your going to see bad shooting at times.

We see and hear enough of you to know you're a lardass, drunk, loser with no family.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Although it is ruining hunting, YouTube has good stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,563 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.