Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Bought from an auction whose pictures were poor, I crossed my fingers when I bid on this one.

Condition turned out to be good-very good, but collectors value was zero - the receiver had been drilled and tapped for scope mounts and sling swivels were installed. Nevertheless, when I picked it up, I was delighted. The bluing was very good, there was still a trace of case color on the lever and the rifling in the barrel was sharp. The rifle was light, sleek, and the sights lined up with my eye without thought. It would be a superb woods-walking rifle for deer in Mississippi.

I have never owned a rifle like this, however, so I do have some questions, if any of the campfire members would like to chip in:

1. I thought the top of the receiver ring would be inscribed with "Savage 99", but there is nothing on my rifle.

2. There are 4 holes drilled for scope bases - are they correct for Weaver bases #19 (front) and #14 (back)? I have a Burris 4x with plex reticle that I'm planning to mount with Weaver tipoff rings.

3. There is a sort of ring set into the left side of the receiver - I don't know what it's for, but it gets in the way when I carry the rifle in my left hand. Can it be easily removed? Does anyone know its purpose?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by czech1022; 12/26/23.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Can’t help with #1 or #2, but the ring on the left side of the receiver is a saddle ring staple.
What caliber is your gun?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rifle looks like a later 99E Version 1 (late 1920's/early 1930's) to me rather than a 99H, but only the 1899F's had saddle ring staples.

So.. what's the serial number range?

Last edited by Calhoun; 12/26/23.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
caliber please .made between 1910 and 1919.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is certainly not an early F (SRC), it doesn't have the carbine butt stock or the short heavier barrel with bladed dovetailed front sight.

The front sight appears to be a raised ramp sight. It could be a post 1927 E (as previously stated) with an added after market staple.

The staples would hold a metal ring that could then be attached to a shoulder mounted sling. These were used mostly in the military in a time when soldiers were on horseback. If a trooper was unhorsed, his carbine came with him.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Caliber .303 Sav.

Serial #116,xxx. Year of manufacture I believe is 1911.

The front sight is a raised ramp with a dovetail for a brass bead insert. Seems to make sense that the barrel was added later.

One question remains: can the staple be easily removed?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
Caliber .303 Sav.

Serial #116,xxx. Year of manufacture I believe is 1911.

The front sight is a raised ramp with a dovetail for a brass bead insert. Seems to make sense that the barrel was added later.

One question remains: can the staple be easily removed?

Define easy? It certainly wouldn't be easy for me...grin

There may only be one question left for you, but we have to figure out what it is becasue...that is what we do. grin

So, with that serial number since it doesn't appear to have a carbine stock and butt plate is it a SRC with replaced wood and barrel or an H with a replaced barrel and added staple? confused

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, I'm starting to understand the insanity that comes with being a 99 owner! It's like a never-ending detective story!

Still - anyone know any 99 gunsmiths that I can ask about removing the staple? I'm certainly not hurting "collectability" by doing so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, the serial number definitely places it in the timeframe for an 1899F saddle ring carbine.

But the stock has been replaced, barrel replaced, and receiver reblued similar to a later 99 matte blue.

No Savage 99 stamp is correct if the gun was made in 1911.
The barrel dates to 1927 or later with the ramp front sight.
Stock is a 99E Version 1 style stock from 1921-1934, but they could have put it together any time in the 1930's probably also. If it was factory done, it's very odd they didn't put a 99H stock on it with carbine buttplate. But maybe the owner didn't want that.

I would call it a factory refurb 1911 saddle ring carbine..

I wouldn't remove the staple, that would reduce it's value - and you can't find replacements so it'd be gone for good.

PS: The scope holes look right for standard mounts like the Weaver #14/#19, or a 1 piece Leupold.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
if any of the campfire members would like to chip in:
czech, what are the serial numbers on the butt plate, butt and forearm?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
+3 on not removing the staple

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm curious about the serial on the stock.

If you remove the staple nicely, I'll buy it from you 😉

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The serial number stamped on the butt stock and the butt plate match the rifle.

The forend is a bit strange. There is a 5 stamped into the wood in the barrel channel, and then if I squint very hard I think I can see a 27 next to the 5, but in a smaller font. Then VERY faintly and written in pencil is the serial number of the rifle. However, now that I'm putting the forend back on, I see the serial number of the rifle very clearly stamped on the circular portion that butts up against the receiver.

So, if I don't pull off the staple, can I at least find a ring somewhere to make it a bit more authentic?

Last edited by czech1022; 12/27/23.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
One other thing - I don't know if it is common practice when fitting a barrel to a 99, but when the forearm is removed, you can see on the underside of the barrel that there is a clear, sharp line hammered across the junction of the barrel and the receiver. It makes me think that the barrel was removed at one time and the indentation was made to facilitate replacing the barrel and tightening it back to its exact former position.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Last one here should do the trick.. the "Saddle ring Winchester 1866, 1873, 1876, 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895"

https://homesteadparts.com/shop/saddle-rings-c-87_95.html

Find yourself a short leather strip and tie it around the ring to keep it from scratching up the receiver. Like this:

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool! That'l work!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was the functional purpose of the saddle ring?

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
What was the functional purpose of the saddle ring?

As far as I know, it was tied to the horse or the rider so you don't lose the rifle if you drop it. I would imagine to the rider so if your unhorsed you have your rifle, but I've heard both.

Last edited by damnesia; 12/27/23.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Cool! That'l work!

Just be aware that even with the leather on there it can still make noise but it does considerably cut it down on it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
if any of the campfire members would like to chip in:
czech, what are the serial numbers on the butt plate, butt and forearm?
The serial number stamped on the butt stock and the butt plate match the rifle.

The forend is a bit strange. There is a 5 stamped into the wood in the barrel channel, and then if I squint very hard I think I can see a 27 next to the 5, but in a smaller font. Then VERY faintly and written in pencil is the serial number of the rifle. However, now that I'm putting the forend back on, I see the serial number of the rifle very clearly stamped on the circular portion that butts up against the receiver.

So, if I don't pull off the staple, can I at least find a ring somewhere to make it a bit more authentic?
Well that is not the standard stock/plate for a SRC. But we have seen a SRC with a rifle butt and I have a 99C with a rifle butt rather than the standard shotgun butt. Both factory.
A factory letter would confirm SCR and also the caliber may be interesting.
Does it cycle rounds ok and have you shot it yet?

If/when you do get a ring you can dull it to match the rifle finish with a light gauge steel wool.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.