Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by persiandog
i know shooting 308 out of 30-06 is possible , but how about accuracy ?

assuming two identical rifles 308 and 30-06 , does 308 out of 30-06 is as accurate as on a 308 rifle?

I think the emergency comes after you fire .308 through the .30-06!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Heck of a jump, better load Barnes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A co-workers brother fired a 308 in a 280.

Don't know any details beyond he wasn't hurt,
and a gunsmith said the gun wasn't hurt.
Once he got the bolt open.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oakster
i know shooting 308 out of 30-06 is possible , but how about accuracy ?

assuming two identical rifles 308 and 30-06 , does 308 out of 30-06 is as accurate as on a 308 rifle?

I think the emergency comes after you fire .308 through the .30-06!
In my case the bullet went straight to the target and all that happened was that I ended up with a fire formed case. I was using a good quality Weatherby Jap rifle (Vanguard). Both cartridges use .308 bullets. It was caused by a mix up and inattention but no ill effects were noted other than I threw the case away.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A while back I did a post where I compared the velocity of the 180 gr. Winchester Power point ammo in .308 and 30-06 What I left out was I was shooting 5 shot groups with either round. The .308 rifle was a 22" Winchester M70 push feed and the 30-06 a J.C. Higgins M50 FN Mauser. I had planned to shoot 4 five shot groups with each cartridge, That part did not quite work out. Seen I shot 2 rounds of 06 and three .308s into one group. No excuses, I just screwed up. The rifle was unharmed and the amazing thing was all the shots were in neat round 1.25" The velocity readings were all at 2600 FPS plus or minus 20 FPS. The only thing I noticed was the .308s were a slight bit more snug chambering but that particular rifle alway did have a rather tight chamber. All I did was ruin some .308 brass.

The range I use used to let people run full auto stuff until one yahoo set up a .50 cal. Ma Deuce and blew hell out of the ram silhouettes out at the 500 meter mark. One day a guy set up a .30 cal Browning air cools and ran mixed 30-06 and 7.62x51 ammo in the belt. When he was through running the belt and a bunch of ruined 7.62x51 brass on the ground. I asked wouldn't that damage the gun and he said no. It all fed just fine during the time I watched.

I can't say if the man in the video got that bad group because of the "wrong" ammo or my getting that good group was sheer luck. Frankly, I don't think I'll bother to find out. In my case it was my fault. Seems that at times my head likes warm dark places.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

Umm….

Like because the cartridge wasn’t retained by the very substantial controlled round feed extractor, so the primer didn’t detonate, but the cartridge did move forward in the chamber, and now stuck?

Enough of an explanation Mr. Dunning Kruger?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a 30-338 in a 300win. It landed in the group....but had a damn short neck when extracted. I broke the rule of having two similar cartridges on deck at the same time.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Marlin 30-30 that has at least 5000 rounds yes that's right five thousand, it has been in our family for ever my great grandfather traded it for some blacksmithing work at least that is the family lore. Anyways the throat and rifling is so worn out that when I load it, I use .311 "303 British" and .312 "Mosin Nagant" instead of .308 dia bullets, which surprisingly works rather well, it's a pain though since I have to grind the tips off the bullets and get the close in weight, since there are no 30-30 style bullets in .311. or .312

RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by RIO7
About 10 years ago we had a women hunter fire a 308 in a 270 Ruger, killed the Deer at about 75 yards and locked the Ruger up tight as a safe we had a hell of a time clearing the action, I took the rifle to a good gun smith to be checked out no damage ?? I was surprised it didn't blow up. Rio7

It's not easy to find any pictures of a Ruger bolt action blown up. I'm sure they exist but they are one hell for stout action. I've seen stocks let go around the action but not action in pieces.
Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore, and landing on target 75 yds away. Dubious at best.
Deer caught the gay ….😫

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAM
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

RAM;
Good almost evening out in New Hampshire, hopefully the day behaved and you're well.

Sorry I wasn't clear with my thought, if I may I'll attempt another run at it.

My guess was that in the video, the extractor was at least in part holding the cartridge in place in order to support it enough to have the firing pin set the primer off.

Said another way it "might" help a rimless case act as if it were rimmed, in the absence of any headspace on the shoulder where it needs to be.

Further it was my guess that if we didn't have that big extractor holding the .308 case rim, as it would be in any push feed action, there's a chance it'd push the unfired case into the chamber too far - and become stuck.

If with the push feed action this were to take place, the firing pin wouldn't reach the primer, so then we'd have a live round in the chamber.

Again, having not tried this, I'm admittedly guessing, so could be and likely am incorrect in the guess.

Hope that made better sense.

All the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

I hope your Christmas was wonderful in every way!

As a PO Ackley fan, many years ago something made me question something??? And I pulled the extractor off a 98 and fired a huge batch of cases to fireform some brass. A bit of bullseye and a piece of cotton packing, and their inertia, were all that held the brass in place.

Probably 40 or fifty rounds fired without issue. Primer details I cannot remember, though I hope they were not a harder magnum variety. I was probably looking for success, not failure.

Best to you and yours!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Next door neighbor years ago bought a new BLR in 243 from Oshman’s in the Houston area. He took them a new gold ring 3x9 and had it mounted and bore sighted. At the range he could never get it on paper. As he slipped it back in the case he noticed the barrel was stamped 308 Win. He went back home and double checked the box and it was labeled 243 Win. Oshman’s was very apologetic to say the least and swapped it for the correct one.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Subscribe.

Fuuck oh dear.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Seen it at the range. Straight walled the chit outa the brass.
Also seen a 338WM fired in a RUM.
Woof...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Meh, I'll save my luck for when I need it.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
A guide told me about a hunter who said he was carrying a "300 magnum." When the guide asked him what kind of .300 mag, the hunter acted confused, i.e., he didn't know there was more than one kind. Apparently, he'd been shooting .300 WinMag ammo in his .300 Weatherby for years! (I assume he didn't reload and never looked at his ejected brass.)

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I accidentally fired a couple of 30-06 in my 35 Whelen one day. Bullets hit the ground about 50 yards short of the target. Brass was fireformed to 35 Whelen. It was very diasappointed in myself for being so careless. I knew better than to have 2 or 3 kinds of ammo on the bench while shooting.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
Big difference in straight wall vs tapered bottleneck cartridges.

38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm space off the rim so they stay in place when the firing pin strikes them. The .308 case is a little over .2 shorter where the shoulder starts than the 30-06 so there is nothing to say it is going to stay in place when the firing pin strikes it as they headspace off the shoulder. That alone makes the idea lame in my thinking.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by RAM

Dwayne

Umm….

Like because the cartridge wasn’t retained by the very substantial controlled round feed extractor, so the primer didn’t detonate, but the cartridge did move forward in the chamber, and now stuck?

Enough of an explanation Mr. Dunning Kruger?
If the primer didn't detonate, how did the gun blow up smart ass? Luv it when a moron drops his shorts in front of the world.🤣

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
Big difference in straight wall vs tapered bottleneck cartridges.

38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm space off the rim so they stay in place when the firing pin strikes them. The .308 case is a little over .2 shorter where the shoulder starts than the 30-06 so there is nothing to say it is going to stay in place when the firing pin strikes it as they headspace off the shoulder. That alone makes the idea lame in my thinking.
.40sw and 10mm are rimless cochise

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.