Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My youngest son bought a Savage of some sort so chambered when an area in SE Texas opened from muzzleloader only to allow the 350 Legend. I gave him a 2-7X FFII and the rifle was very accurate. He has since moved to here in the Hill Country and can shoot on my property subsonic. He and a former colleague have taken meat does with it using the factory Hornady ammo. Not impressed. I have just loaded and fired today the Maker 205 gr Subsonic bullet and things look good. Sub-30 yard shots here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well, I guess all cases start out from the same brass billet, which means they’re all the same ‘standard’ case then. Much like all F-150s start as Mustangs. wink

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by LSU fan
Fuds like it because they think they’ll get KNOCKDOWN POWER compared to other AR rounds or even 6.5CM/308/270 etc. Another, more valid reason for the popularity is that’s it legal in some states that allow single shots .35 caliber and up during primitive arms season.
So Fuds hunt with ARs?

I don't hunt deer with an AR. Am I a Fud or not? I need to know whether or not to be insulted.

Good point. Fuds don’t hunt with ARs.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
The ‘basic’ 223 case was not used for the legend. The legend case has different dimensions ahead of the rim.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/07/22/wildcatting-potential-of-350-legend-cartridge/

….which explains how a straightened/blown out legend case will hold a .366 bullet. Not possible in a 223 ‘basic’ case.

The 357 maximum was a lengthened 357 magnum case, which came along in the 30s before the 223 (late 50s), which was based on the 222/magnum case, which was a brand new case in early 50s. Non of which is the same diameter as the legend, outside of the rim commonality for AR bolts.

The basis for the 357 Maximum was a "basic" 223 case in a forming stage.

I read it long ago, but I doubt its on the internet. It was in print. Maybe an Elgin Gates book I had.

I'm not saying the finished Basic case is used like you get from Starline; obviously it is not. But cylindrical brass is formed in stages that facilitates being used for a variety of cartridges, the 9mm included, which shares a similar pressure ring diameter.

The idea behind the round was to reduce manufacturing costs and stages.

Found it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

<snip>
Found it:
<snip>
At the same time, I can see how the Mfr could legitimately say "The .357 Max is NOT based on the .223".
After all, you can't take a .223 case, even a straight, basic case from the operation right before necking and make a .357 Max case out of it. Same thing applies to the 350L.

The 350L has a diameter of .390" at the web. The .223 is .3759", call it .376". That's a difference of .014". Put that 14 thou on a caliper and tell me a .223 case couldn't be fattened up that much. Sure, you wouldn't want to do that at 55,000psi in an AR, but it would be fine to do during the mfg process.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, no doubt.

My only point is that new cartridges like the 350 Legend exist and are found stocked on the shelves because they are built using similar base components they are already using in profusion in less steps; like small primer pockets compared to large ones being used more often these days.

That's what they want you to buy, that's what we're getting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
*shrug*

Not really seeing things to complain about, unless the whole point is just calling things "fads" for its own sake.

Pretty dang close to a 35 Rem (especially with the 170gr Barnes, which doesn't lose weight). Uses less powder and produces less recoil. Works in AR style rifles and bolt rifles...cool.

As long as someone needs a 100 yard and perhaps a bit big game rifle and a 200 yard deer rifle, and a lot of people probably need that, works for me. Would rather shoot deer with that than 223, 243, etc.

Last edited by Igloo; 12/10/23.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When the .350 came out I read that its case and the .223 are the same until after the second draw step. Then they go their separate ways.

Here’s pics of what that looks like (not much like a case):

https://www.petersoncartridge.com/technical-information/drawing-brass/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If we’re talking chain stores, it might be their buyers’ fault. Those guys don’t always know what’s what, and the stores have to take what’s sent. OTOH, maybe it’s what’s available in good amounts, so they buy it to fill shelves. I think it’s agood round in ARs and mini bolts, but with no restrictions here I’ll stick with more versatile rounds like the Grendel and ARC for the same platforms.
We had gun case full of 30-06's when I worked at wally world. We would go for months before we sold a 30-06. Toward the end we were selling AR's and .223's pretty often but when it was time to clear them out it was .308's, .270's and 30-06's. None of which we could really use in Iowa.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone

<snip>
Found it:
<snip>
At the same time, I can see how the Mfr could legitimately say "The .357 Max is NOT based on the .223".
After all, you can't take a .223 case, even a straight, basic case from the operation right before necking and make a .357 Max case out of it. Same thing applies to the 350L.

The 350L has a diameter of .390" at the web. The .223 is .3759", call it .376". That's a difference of .014". Put that 14 thou on a caliper and tell me a .223 case couldn't be fattened up that much. Sure, you wouldn't want to do that at 55,000psi in an AR, but it would be fine to do during the mfg process.

I think we’re all coming full circle now. Development/design vs process to get there. ….but that was kinda the point: the end user can’t or shouldn’t attempt making one from the other, unlike a myriad of other stuff we load for today. The idea/design for the 357 max didn’t come from the 223 case. The 223 case design was the answer to get the max case design to tolerate higher pressures than handgun brass. There’s always the : how do we get there? That comes after the: where are we going? FWIW: I’m not saying anything makes the legend anything but a good cartridge. I just question how they got there when there were seemingly already good answers to Winchester getting there….as opposed to building a new road, altogether.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We bought a couple of .350 Legend rifles because we hunt in Iowa as one of our destinations and it is legal there. I must say I have been quite impressed with the effectiveness of this little cartridge. Used within its parameters (200 yards) it kills deer very efficiently. Ammo is not overly expensive and we have found it to be very accurate. Have only used the 150 grain loads at this point but I can't imagine that the heavier loads are any less effective. Very quiet as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mnmarlin
As other threads point out, the .350 Legend ammo is everywhere, even more available than .30-30, .270 and .30-06 around here. Is the ammo not selling? Come to think of it I haven't seen all that many rifles chambered for the .350 Legend either.
Just curious.

They started putting that schidt on the shelves about 4 years ago, when it first came out. They kept putting that schidt on the shelves and it's been accumulating ever since. They thought it was going to be a huge success I guess, as many states allow straight wall cartridges for deer hunting now. Plus they thought it would be a big seller because of the popularity of the AR15. When I first started seeing it, I wondered wtf these manufactures were doing. Putting out so much of that crap, and not using those materials for other more popular cartridges. Especially during the shortages we have been seeing for the last 3 years.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by it, those are the Fudd types to me. Likely some of the same that dislike the 6.5 Creedmoor and called fast twist barrels a fad.

I've killed 31 deer in the past 9 years and the farthest distance was 35 yards.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
People, I have found, enjoy complaining.

Imagine if we could only pick between a 22LR, a 20ga shotgun, a 223 Rem, and a 30-06.

I’ll tell you the truth, the results for lethality wouldn’t change. We’d kill the same amount of game every year.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As other threads point out, the .350 Legend ammo is everywhere, even more available than .30-30, .270 and .30-06 around here. Is the ammo not selling? Come to think of it I haven't seen all that many rifles chambered for the .350 Legend either.
Just curious.

It's a cartridge introduced pretty much specifically for the states that are now allowing straight walled rifle cartridges in their muzzleloader or shotgun seasons. However large chain stores buy in bulk and distribute to all their stores. Even the stores in states where this reason for owning a rife in 350 legend is not a factor. Outside of those states I doubt it sells very well because it really doesn't do anything a 30-30 or 35 rem won't do as a woods gun. And as a kids gun outside those states most people buy their kids something like a 243. If not many of the rifles chambered in it sell in a particular state then it follows that the ammo will still be sitting on the shelf as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Willto
Just curious.

It's a cartridge introduced pretty much specifically for the states that are now allowing straight walled rifle cartridges in their muzzleloader or shotgun seasons. However large chain stores buy in bulk and distribute to all their stores. Even the stores in states where this reason for owning a rife in 350 legend is not a factor. Outside of those states I doubt it sells very well because it really doesn't do anything a 30-30 or 35 rem won't do as a woods gun. And as a kids gun outside those states most people buy their kids something like a 243. If not many of the rifles chambered in it sell in a particular state then it follows that the ammo will still be sitting on the shelf as well.

It does one thing that the 30-30 and 35 Rem don't, you can buy a new gun chambered for it without needing to sell a kidney.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Just curious.

It does one thing that the 30-30 and 35 Rem don't, you can buy a new gun chambered for it without needing to sell a kidney.
And in a bolt action.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just curious.

You drastically underestimate how little the average hunter understands terminal ballistics. Lots of guys around here buying AR15s in 350 Legend because it “hits hard”. All they see is a 35 cal bullet and they think it must knock deer off their feet compared to a 270.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Now it’ll be “the .400 Legend, more knockdown power than the .350…”. The marketing writes itself.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Like EV cars! No-one wants it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (160user, 22kHornet, 257man, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 42 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,834
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.