Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.motortrend.com/features/1601-a-hand-me-down-cj-3b-restored/?

[Linked Image from motortrend.com]

Originally Posted by Desert Magazine
Larry Shank and his family’s original Teardrop trailer and Willys Jeep.
We live in a disposable world. Most people want a new car every three years, and if you’re hauling around a 20-year-old trailer, you may not be greeted with much enthusiasm at some parks. Most of us want the newest, fastest, biggest, and best new vehicle we can get our hands on.
And then there’s Larry Shank.
It all started in 1949 after Larry’s dad, Harry, read an article in National Geographic about the roadless Southwest. Being a man with wanderlust to spare, Harry and his wife, Harriette, loaded up their Buick convertible, drove to the Arizona desert, and promptly spent a week getting stuck in every manner of sand pit and dry river bed they came across.
Undaunted, Harry bought a used 1946 Willys CJ-2A Jeep in 1950, and, after a few trips, decided they needed more space, so they picked up a used 1947 Kenskill Teardrop Model 10 trailer in 1952. On the maiden voyage, the little red Jeep and the Teardrop got stuck in some quicksand in the Paria River in Utah. Harry could never quite get the little red Willys right again, so he traded up to a brand new green Willys CJ-3B, and that Jeep and the Kenskill have been together ever since.
Larry showed up in 1954, and in the summer of ’56, at the ripe old age of 18 months, he began a lifetime of adventures with his parents that took them all over the Southwest. Before they left on their first trip, Harry bought a surplus Army raft and a Johnson outboard motor that are still a part of Larry’s outfit.
Over the years the Willys and Teardrop have had many “upgrades.” Harry was an engineer at Lockheed and loved to tinker. He soon tired of crawling along in the Jeep, and it just so happened that Chevrolet had introduced their small-block 265ci V-8 in ’55. So, in late ’56 Harry bought one brand new in a crate and, with the help of some friends, dropped it in. During the early ’60s, Harry even extended the bed of the Jeep, as he wanted a longer body and added a hardtop.
The Teardrop was getting a little beat up on those rough Southwestern back roads, so Harry added steel runners to the undercarriage, a new axle, larger wheels and tires, trailer brakes, and a reinforced tongue to mount the outboard engine to. For comfort and convenience, he added a roof rack, independent 12-volt battery and electric lights, and a tent from Sears, which was modified to attach to the back galley area.
The last trip with the Jeep and Teardrop was in the ’80s. But, Harry continued to drive the Jeep around town, and they pulled the Teardrop behind their station wagon into the early ’90s. The last family trip was in 1992, and both Harry and Harriett have since passed away. Unlike most stories in which we find out the kids sold off Mom and Dad’s “junk,” Larry not only kept the Jeep and trailer, but every last scrap of camping gear his father ever bought.
Larry has restored the Jeep and Teardrop back to showroom condition and continues to explore the Southwest. He is always the center of attention whenever he rolls into a campground and is proud to share the Jeep and Teardrop and all the wonderful stories that have been such an important part of his family for more than 50 years.

Last edited by Sycamore; 12/27/23.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The window on the tear drop looks like it’s filled with ears of corn

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
more pics in the motor trend article...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’s look like a practical setup for back in the day. I like both, especially the Jeep but they don’t quite look right together.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Love that rig. The '56 Johnson is the icing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Cool.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That thing loaded looks like the Clampetts rig. All the old farts b itching about "overlanding" vehicles today must've lost their s hit seeing that abortion on the road back in the 50s-60s....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My last camping rig was a piece of canvas stretched over a rope tied to 2 trees.
Before that it was a 14 ft Teepee that went away after the divorce.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The old US Army pup tents.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
That thing loaded looks like the Clampetts rig. All the old farts b itching about "overlanding" vehicles today must've lost their s hit seeing that abortion on the road back in the 50s-60s....

that was probably "state of the art" for a uranium prospector in southeast ut/southwest colorado, in the 1950s

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A friend used to have one of those old teardrop
trailers. It was pretty good for cold nasty weather.
Kinda rough in the muggy weather.

I've slept in some crappy places with no bedding,
or just something to wrap up in. Had some tarps
or a piece of plastic sheet over a piece of rope.
Slept rolled up like a big burrito in a poncho and
liner. When a bunch of us used to ride dirt bikes
then 3 wheelers then 4 wheelers, several a few
of us would rack out on the trailer so as to get
up off the ground. Slept in a truck bed and in
the cab bunches of times

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranger99
A friend used to have one of those old teardrop
trailers. It was pretty good for cold nasty weather.
Kinda rough in the muggy weather.

I've slept in some crappy places with no bedding,
or just something to wrap up in. Had some tarps
or a piece of plastic sheet over a piece of rope.
Slept rolled up like a big burrito in a poncho and
liner. When a bunch of us used to ride dirt bikes
then 3 wheelers then 4 wheelers, several a few
of us would rack out on the trailer so as to get
up off the ground. Slept in a truck bed and in
the cab bunches of times

Yep. When I was in HS we’d head down to the Del Rio are and camp out on Devil’s River or the Pecos, in the back of the pickup all the time.
Drive across the border and load up on beer and tequila.
We carried a tarp and WW-2 army poncho’s in case it rained. Good times. 🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/27/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Neat build & concept. But when I see stuff like this I also see stack opon stacks of thousand dollar bills. Thought the CJ looked off & according to photos I just looked at, and from memory is that the Jeep has had the body extended by a foot or more. Welcome room but just another stack of bills.

Guess I'm gettin jaded. My hometown puts on a rod run every year & it's grown to ~1200-1400 entries when the weather cooperates. I used to go & see some really neat stuff. OTOH, I see so much stuff that's simply had wheelbarrows of money thrown at it. Not really fast, not really correct or true to the year, just,,,,,,,,, sittin there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Think of the home made hard tack and pickled herring any of the fine folks could carry in there as provisions??

Eh?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sickermore, I'll pose the same question to you as I did you commie bud Gayghost.

How many businesses are your buds going to be burning and how many innocent people are your buds and Rothschild paid Antifa, muzzy and central and south American Soros paid mercenaries going to kill this coming year in their mostly peaceful rioy and anarchy while trying to stop the vote in America's dimocommie controlled major cities?

Care to hazard a guess?

It would be interesting to see which of you comes closest.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Judging by that trailer, Larry isn’t over 5 foot 6 or 40 years old, or else he’s sleeping in a motel with that rig parked outside…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the movie “Chisum” one phrase often repeated is “all it takes is money”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool retro-rig. I can recall seeing some of those tear drop campers way back when. That Johnson outboard brings me back to memories of my grandfather's boat in the 1950's.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I miss the old CJ 3B even with the v8 upgrade but the newer PU rides so much better.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had a 46 , it was a climbing machine
In granny that ole flat head would idle along into places that would have the front end floating
Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth66; 12/28/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

295 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 219 Wasp, 40 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.