Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, when you read this I hope it makes you laugh...

Ammo has been hard to get and so, I reload my own.

I was sighting in my Ruger in 300wsm for a western hunt... somehow, I missed putting powder in one round and the primer popped a 150gr TTSX an inch and half into the barrel.

Ok, no big deal... take it home, get out a cleaning rod and knock it back out....

Nope, bullet won't move. I use a rubber mallet on the cleaning rod.... Bullet will not move... I pound on it hard enough to wreck the cleaning rod... What elce do I got ???

I shoot a 6 mm arrow... that will fit down the barrel... An arrow can take it... I break out the rubber mallet and give t a few good blows... Bullet will not move.... like, holy cow man !

I go to pull the arrow out and the aluminum insert is stuck to the front of the bullet.... I pull and pull.... and really pull... I hear a crack and the arrow breaks off right at the muzzle.

Not to loose a good fight... I work a sheet rock screw into the arrow to try and get that out.... Nope. That freaking arrow is not coming out.... @&%%$# !!!

I am not going to loose this fight ! It's only a bullet in the freaking barrel !! A high school kid could get this out..... for goodness sakes....

I go to the hardware store.... I get a steel rod that will fit inside the arrow.... I got this now.... this is gonna work.... Yup... I take it to the shop where I work... I got use of a 35000lb press.... no joke.... this will do it....

I bend the steel rod because the bullet will not move out.... I am not kidding.... WTF ! So, I pull the rod and cut it shorter to get a stiffer rod to work with...

This works ! I move the bullet almost an inch. And then, I run out of steel rod with only just a half inch to go... UURRGG !!!! &*%$**^%!!!!

I can't get the rod out.... so, I fix up a machine bolt that matches the steel rod and use that in the press to push the rod thru.... I mount it all in the press... I only need 1/2 inch now...

Nope.... I actually bend the freaking barrel... I bent the freaking barrel. Like... really ? I really bent the barrel ?? Yup.... f'ed up the whole gun.

So, this is where I am at.... I want to send the gun to Hart Barrels and get it rebarreled to 300WSM with a Hart Barrel.

Are there any other options to get my gun rebarreled that you would recommend ??

Open to all your suggestions... and heckling...

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Confession is good for the soul, so you've got that going for you.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No heckling from me because I did a very similar thing once upon a time.

I was 16 years old and managed to get a jacketed bullet stuck halfway down the bore of a .30-40 Krag. (Note: when assembling "backyard plinking ammo" don't try to substitute 150gr. jacketed bullets for the 150 grain lead bullets that zip out nicely with 6.0gr. Red Dot. It kinda doesn't work.) No big deal, a three piece cleaning rod and a hammer should do the trick. Nope, rod breaks just as The Old Man walked in on me and uttered his disbelief in what I was up to. 1/4" drill rod and the same hammer, nada - and now that bullet is well and truly wedged in there. At that point off we go to the old local gunsmith who said "yep, I can get it out but this one won't be a freebie because I'm gonna charge you for being a dumbass. Furthermore I won't be held responsible if I f*ck up your barrel."

What he did was unscrewed the barrel and chucked it into his lathe. Then fitted bronze bushings onto a long 1/4" gun drill, to keep it centered in the bore. Went in and drilled the lead core out of that impacted slug as pretty as you please, then simply pushed the hollow jacket out with a cleaning rod. Not a mark on the bore, perfect job.

"That'll be $10, payable right now ya dumb bast*rd, and don't ever bring me another stupid trick like this or I'll charge you more than the damned gun is worth." He was a crusty old curmudgeon, and yes I learned my lesson.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any oil in that bore?

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The bore was dry from shooting 10 rounds before that one with out the powder....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think if we heckled you too much, something like that would happen to one of us. But man, you stuck everything down that barrel, except for your di ck to try and get that bullet out, didn't you....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I was 16 years old and managed to get a jacketed bullet stuck halfway down the bore of a .30-40 Krag. (Note: when assembling "backyard plinking ammo" don't try to substitute 150gr. jacketed bullets for the 150 grain lead bullets that zip out nicely with 6.0gr. Red Dot. It kinda doesn't work.) No big deal, a three piece cleaning rod and a hammer should do the trick. Nope, rod breaks just as The Old Man walked in on me and uttered his disbelief in what I was up to. 1/4" drill rod and the same hammer, nada - and now that bullet is well and truly wedged in there. At that point off we go to the old local gunsmith who said "yep, I can get it out but this one won't be a freebie because I'm gonna charge you for being a dumbass. Furthermore I won't be held responsible if I f*ck up your barrel."

What he did was unscrewed the barrel and chucked it into his lathe. Then fitted bronze bushings onto a long 1/4" gun drill, to keep it centered in the bore. Went in and drilled the lead core out of that impacted slug as pretty as you please, then simply pushed the hollow jacket out with a cleaning rod. Not a mark on the bore, perfect job.

"That'll be $10, payable right now ya dumb bast*rd, and don't ever bring me another stupid trick like this or I'll charge you more than the damned gun is worth." He was a crusty old curmudgeon, and yes I learned my lesson.

That's pretty cool gnoahhh. Those old gunsmiths really knew how to think outside the box.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have also heard of heating up a barrel with a torch when a bullet is lodged in the bore, but I have never witnessed this.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A guy brought me a Colt 22 revolver once with about 8 or 10 bullets stuck nose to butt in the bore. They would not move for love nor money. A coworker brought his Lyman lead pot in and plugged it in on his bench and inserted the Colt’s muzzle when it was up to temp. We had a cup and a half of coffee to let things heat up and then simply poured the molten bullets out of the barrel. Not a ring or bulge to be found.

A lesson I did learn, thankfully not quite as hard as you did, was that stuck jacketed bullets will sometimes be immovable in a dry bore. A squirt of PB, Kroil, acetone/ATF, Liquid Wrench, really anything at all and then let it sit and soak for a but and most will come out with a fairly gentle tap on a good sturdy rod.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's pretty cool gnoahhh. Those old gunsmiths really knew how to think outside the box.

For sure. Very cool.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a dud with a factory 30-30 round. Heard the primer pop, then a funny hissing sound, like a tire leaking air, for a few seconds. Bullet was just barely past the throat and came out easily with one wack of a solid steel cleaning rod. No power burned or unburned in the barrel.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I once dislodged a bullet stuck in the barrel by loading a case with a few grains of shotgun powder and no bullet, just capped with a piece of soap so the powder wouldn't spill out of the case when chambering.
Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chamois
I once dislodged a bullet stuck in the barrel by loading a case with a few grains of shotgun powder and no bullet, just capped with a piece of soap so the powder wouldn't spill out of the case when chambering.
Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked.

Ye gods and little fishes! You were lucky indeed, not from a kerblooie stand point but from a ring in the barrel or bulged barrel standpoint.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tap the muzzle for a grease zirk, use a 4000 psi grease gun to force it out. Will require the barrel be cut off beyond the thread and recrowned…this is a modified version of a Canadian gunsmith that used a driver in the tail stock on his lathe that had a cone that would seal at the muzzle and a grease zirk on the side. Pretty slick. I used that once for a similar barrel someone f’d up the same way.

Shoot straight, shoot often
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
^^^^^^
Rod Henrickson -

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
gnoahh, can you please illustrate me?

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I ain't telling...... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Huh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Huh?
gnoahh's posts are always worthwhile reading, even if only one word.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wondered if a loaded case (without a bullet seated) chambered behind the stuck bullet and fired would force the bullet out of the barrel? Anyone tried this?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 37 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.