Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have 2 tractors....a 60 year old john deere that is mainly used for bush hogging, and brand new massey fergusson that I bought 15 months ago.

End of summer early fall, a guy that works for me, and is the only one drive deere, mentioned somebody had messed with the fuel pump on the diesel tank at the barn because it was loose and on backwards, or something like that. I didn't think too much about it because nothing was stolen, and in years past there have been attempts to steal diesel or anything pilferable at the barn. My guy tested the tank for water and there was none in it.

However, around that time frame, the trusty John Deere started having problems. Basically it ran for a few minutes and caught off. Appeared to be gunk in the fuel tank and lines. He replaced the fuel pump in the tractor. He could get it running for a few minutes then would cut off. The tractor is old and not worth much, but he has been trying to get it running again. He has flushed the fuel tank on it and keeps getting black gunk out of it. It seems to be years of some kind of build up, but why would it suddenly be a problem now?

This afternoon I was loading hey with the new tractor. A warning light with exhaust symbol and an exclamation point started flashing and tractor lost throttle and power. I was able to get it back to the barn at a crawl. I texted a pic of the error code to the dealer but haven't heard back yet. This would seem to be a problem with the fuel filter?

Makes me bery concerned that something was put in my diesel tank, but what could it be? Had it filled up in the Spring but no problems through the summer. I really hope it's not going to cost a forutne to get the Massey fixed. I just had the 100 hour tune up in October.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
There is a form of algae that can develop in diesel fuel. Had a guy at my marina get towed in his fuel filters clogged up with it. Had to pump off his tank then clean out the system. Not like algae in water from sunlight.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Mike_S
There is a form of algae that can develop in diesel fuel. Had a guy at my marina get towed in his fuel filters clogged up with it. Had to pump off his tank then clean out the system. Not like algae in water from sunlight.
this is absolutely correct and as hard as it is to believe there is a living breathing growing algae that can survive in diesel fuel and it can wreak havoc. it will generally come out looking like a black slick slimish when you change filters and dump out the old fuel and cut into it. it might also help knowing exactly which model tractors were talking about in case it is unrelated

to the best of my knowledge Howels diesel treatment is the only thing on the market that will actually kill this algae

E
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
John Deere 820 and MF 4709 .....the algae does seem to be the issue with the 820 and my guy had said something about it. Very difficult to get the tank removed and I think he's trying to see if you can get a replacement.

If the algae is also in the diesel storage tank I guess I'm screwed. Hoping there's a simpler explanation for the MF problem.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Does your massey have DEF on it? it could be trying to regen

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yes the algea looks like tar. Howells works, and you might ask your supplier what they use, to remove and stop the growth. Our tanks for the log bronc's, didn't get flushed from use, and suddenly we had plugged filters. This was the storage tanks. I would think a tractor that saw little use could grow algea! Or it was brought in from the supplier.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That’s a DEF or regen light. Read your manual.

E
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Stix
That’s a DEF or regen light. Read your manual.

The first thing I checked was the manual, and it is a DEF light not a regen issue. The only information provided in the manual was to contact the dealer. I had texted the service guy the error code but didn't hear back. There being an issue with the fuel in the other tractor I decided to run that down because I don't want to spend a $4-500 so the dealer can test the fuel on the MF when that is something I could have done on my own ahead of time.

I did make an hour trip this morning to the regional cat dealer, where they do test fuel. I bought the basic fuel test kit which is $150. One of their service techs passed through the parts department while I was there and the parts guy brought him into the conversation. He looked at the error code and advised that is an exhaust issue not a fuel issue, that the tractors computer shuts the engine down over emissions and it does not mean the engine is malfunctioning. Also, he told me there is a chemical called "killem" that is surefire on diesel bug, and directed me to the truck shop that is on the only place in the area that sells it. That was just down the road so I went there and bought it.

I pulled a fuel sample out of my main storage tank. It has been sitting for 10 hours and it looks crystal clear. I will ship it off to them tomorrow and should get the results in 10 days or so. The fuel I believe looks too clear to have diesel bug, but if there is any problem with it I will find out. It will be a huge relief if it is clear. Then that problem would only be in the old JD tractor which I want to fix but which is over 60 years old and really not worth much. Mice had gotten into the air filter so my guy is trying to replace that then we will flush it with fuel treated with the "killem".

I called my MF service guy and he apologized about not getting back to me. Obviously with the holiday I'm not bent out of shape or anything. He ran the error code and it is covered under warranty. They will pick it up next week and it will be gone a week. The problem is a sensor that measure the exhaust when it comes out of the engine before it is treated and then again after it is treated. It shows that the emmisions are not being cleaned properly. It it is likely a faulty sensor which is a know issue with this model. Either way it is covered by warranty. In the meantime I am fine to use the tractor but only have about 20 minutes before the computer shuts the throttle down.

I will keep you all posted on the diesel test and how everything turns out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are other anti algae products out there.
If you use off road from a delivery service, inquire about having them treat it for you.
It will possibly cost more than doing it yourself, but they should have a better
product.

Diesel bought from a device station should be treated already, but
you can't be certain.

Try very hard to avoid any water, the algae doesn't really grow in diesel.
It grows in water, and eats diesel.
Water likely got in your tank when the pump was goofed up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
It sounds like the old tractor needs repair and the new tractor is being finicky. Could just be a sensor or something else not related.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Keep that JD running!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Fuel problem... 90% sure.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
So here's an update on the Massey. I am experiencing an extreme amount of frustration. There was no bad fuel in my storage tank or the Massey. It is an exhaust issue with the DEF. They hauled it away. This model tractor does not go into regen, it is supposed to be constantly discharging the exhaust by product of DEF. The computer shut my tractor down because the exhaust readings showed the DEF was not working well enough. In reality, the byproducts were not being discharged properly and were keeping the DEF from interacting and working. I'm not a mechanic but this is what was explained to me. And I didn't get the explanation for almost a month until I called after getting a $625 bill for transporting the broken tractor. The explanation I got is that the tractor has to be kept at 2000RPms as much as possible.

Only used for several hours of light duty until this week. Then my guy cut the hay with a MOCO. For hours in the same exhaust malfunction alarm went off an shut the tractor down. They came and got it and returned it 2 days later.

Said he will come back in next week to go over some diagrams but that this is basically user error and the tractor must be kept at 2000 RPMs or more at all times. Funny that is not in the user manaul and was never mentioned until I called about the transport bill for the first breakdown.

I've got almost $80,000 in this tractor. I only as 135 hours. VA has a tractor lemon law. If a defect substantianally impairs the use and market value, they have a reasonable number of attempts to fix it. They have thrown in the towel after 2 tries. If it happens again they can refund the purchase price or I will take them to court. End of fugging story for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Sounds like a PITA. Hope you get it sorted

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 3,407 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.