Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had great luck with the 143 ELD-X. I just killed a big mule deer with it this weekend. 630 yards. Bullet took out the spine and exited. No meat lost
I've had exits in every animal incuding elk at 250 yards.
2950 fps.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a couple deer with ELDxs, both died where they where standing

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats on the Elk! And, that's some nice shootin, Guy.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have had great luck with the 143 ELD-X. I just killed a big mule deer with it this weekend. 630 yards. Bullet took out the spine and exited. No meat lost
I've had exits in every animal incuding elk at 250 yards.
2950 fps.

Oddly enough the two animals I've seen shot with the 6.5mm 143 both stopped the bullet--but the specific circumstances definitely played a role.

One was a big mule deer buck in northern New Mexico, and the load Hornady's factory for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The range was just about exactly yards (I lasered it after the fact), with the buck standing in some Gambel's oak which blocked much of his broadside body. The only clear shot was the "high shoulder", and he dropped right there, then rolled around 30 feet down the steep slope. The bullet broke shoulders and the spine, and was found under the hide on the far side, retaining 60% of its weight. (The boned meat weighed exactly 100 pounds, indicating a live weight of around 300.)

The other was an even larger-bodied buck taken by my hunting partner with the same Hornady load at 311 yards, lasered before the shot. The buck was quartering away to the left, and the buck jump-kicked at the shot, then trotted 30-35 yards and fell over. The bullet had landed in the middle of the left ribs and was found under the hide of the right shoulder, just missing the the shoulder bone. It retained 75% of its weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by drop_point
One thing to remember, muzzle velocity doesn't mean squat. You have to plan for impact velocity. Due to different BCs, two bullets with the same muzzle velocity may have largely different impact velocity. The bullet at the target doesn't give two squirts what it started out as.
Well, I wouldn't say that it doesn't mean squat, but I get your point. Speed at the muzzle does mean that the bullet impact will never exceed that speed.

I think if we framed things according to impact velocity, we'd be better off.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Drop_point, yes and that’s why I always want to know what the range is/was when having these discussions.

Also, what weight bullet is being talked about. I started this thread talking about the 175 gr ELD X. Comparing it to another weight ELD X or caliber does not give me any useful data. And to a lesser degree, what critter was shot.

I am looking to support my experience with a 175 gr ELDX .284 fired from a 7 PRC or 7 PRC velocity window. Impact on my cow Elk resulted in a splat at 247 yards.

I have not called Hornady to relay my experience, but plan too.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be curious what they say.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'd be curious what they say.

A poster here said that the tech he spoke with did not recommend the ELD X for Elk and suggested the CX bullet instead.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People want super high bc and easy accuracy and that is accomplished with thin, concentric jackets and sleek pointy ogives. Hornady has figured out these features are more important to a lot of hunters than anything else. Both of these traits are not conducive to controlled expansion or weight retention. The eldx tries to bridge those traits into a hunting bullet but they will never be “tough”. Probably why Hornady recommends CX in some circumstances

Thicker jackets, bonding, and more complex bullet design can solve this problem but you will reduce BC some and the bullet will be more finicky to shoot as the bullet is more complex. The more complex and more steps in the design the harder it will be to keep things concentric and balanced. If want a bonded high bc bullet shoot an ablr or TA. It will likely have a little lower BC since longer for weight and may be harder to get to shoot but likely not come totally apart even if soft to expand fast and thin jacket at nose. Hornady has said over and over in various articles/podcasts they did not bond the eldx on purpose since bonding requires thicker jacket and in their process at least result in bigger groups.

Lou

Last edited by Lou_270; 12/24/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was me. That makes me doubly curious......

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One thing to remember, muzzle velocity doesn't mean squat. You have to plan for impact velocity. Due to different BCs, two bullets with the same muzzle velocity may have largely different impact velocity. The bullet at the target doesn't give two squirts what it started out as.
Well, I wouldn't say that it doesn't mean squat, but I get your point. Speed at the muzzle does mean that the bullet impact will never exceed that speed.

Certainly. The trouble is that impact speed is largely unknown and unmeasurable. Muzzle speed, however, is measurable and typically known. If everyone keeps diligent records about atmospheric conditions and shot distance, I would agree that impact speed is more relevant to terminal performance.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a couple of boxes of them
I'm still gonna work up fast.load for them. I shoot most everything thru the ribs we will see I'll bet at 2850-2900 at the muzzle that 200-400 they won't be a problem..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ask yourself “Why are the store shelves full of Hornady products and woefully under stocked with other brands?”

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WAM
Ask yourself “Why are the store shelves full of Hornady products and woefully under stocked with other brands?”
👆

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Strange things can happen with any bullet, and a sample of one shouldn’t hold too much weight.

Having said that, I’ve been happy with the on-game performance of the 180 ELD-M at a similar launch speed.
I sold a friend a #1 in 280 Remington a few years back- result of his first elk hunt with ELDX bullets- 175's I think was a cow at 742 yards, one shot.
He has since shot more moose and deer and elk with it with no issues and loves the bullet. He hand loads though, no factory loads.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Certainly. The trouble is that impact speed is largely unknown and unmeasurable. Muzzle speed, however, is measurable and typically known. If everyone keeps diligent records about atmospheric conditions and shot distance, I would agree that impact speed is more relevant to terminal performance.

With our shotmarker targets as long as it is supersonic,we get the velocity at the target.
Only a few Members I know want to shoot on them however, preffering to shoot steel at various distances .
Cat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by catnthehat

With our shotmarker targets as long as it is supersonic,we get the velocity at the target.
Only a few Members I know want to shoot on them however, preffering to shoot steel at various distances .
Cat
Not so easy in the field on game. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by catnthehat

Cat
Not so easy in the field on game. wink

If you can range the animal or even estimate its distance however, and you know your loads and drops, there is not much issue regarding velocity if the loads have been checked with the shotmarker targets.
What I have found however, (especially with the Shotmarkers) is many shooters do not want to shoot at a target on the range, simply because hitting a 3MOA steel is much easier to accept that actually seeing where the danged bullet went- or didn't, several times ! People just seem to have a hard time accepting that they are not really as good as they thin they are.
I don't use the ELDX bullets but know several hunters that do. I prefer monolithics. :>)
Cat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a hunter knows the atmospheric parameter values, the muzzle speed, and the range, he can figure out impact speed. My point is that it’s much simpler to record the muzzle speed and range only, so most guys won’t be able to talk in terms of impact speed.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If a hunter knows the atmospheric parameter values, the muzzle speed, and the range, he can figure out impact speed. My point is that it’s much simpler to record the muzzle speed and range only, so most guys won’t be able to talk in terms of impact speed.

It's sorta amazing since an IPhone ap is about 5 dollars to get you speeds out to whatever you want. Yet figuring out impact speed bests us grin

Within reason of course.

Semper Fi
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,524
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.