Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It seems to me that Scheels has kicked their ass and taken their dinner bucket. Doing anything at the gun counter is a train wreck; I've had clerks ignore customers while they continued their private conversations. I don't go there anymore.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Place I get primers at has a locked, glass display case about 20 ft. away from the counter. You can see what they have in stock just by looking at that display case. If you don't see what you want; they don't have it. Quick & easy.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Place I get primers at has a locked, glass display case about 20 ft. away from the counter. You can see what they have in stock just by looking at that display case. If you don't see what you want; they don't have it. Quick & easy.
Like what Walmart used to do with ammo when they still carried it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Primers on the shelf at a Wheeling Cabela’s, not behind counter. Good inventory and selection of small pistol and small rifle. Nothing large for pistol or rifle.

I was a frequent shopper here until Bass Pro took over. Only recently returned to the store. Rarely buy anything, just beat in time while the misses is in JC Penny’s or Kohl’s.

Last edited by ring3; 12/28/23. Reason: So
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Originally Posted by funshooter
I went to BPS grand opening here in Commyfornia
Waited about 2 hours to talk to a salesman because of all the people.
I asked the salesman if the had NATO Primers
He did not know what I was talking about.
So I explained what NATO Primers were.
He called over a Manager.
I asked the question again
Do you have NATO Primers.
The Manager said
What.
I explained to the manager what NATO Primers were.

He proceeded to tell me that I did not know what I was talking about and that there were NO SUCH THINGS AS NATO PRIMERS.
And then started to make fun of me in front of over 100 people waiting for their turn.

Never went back they can go screw them selves.
Hiring inept moron employees.
What are NATO primers? grin
The ones I’m familiar with are CCI 41

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All of us have gunshop horror stories. I'll just say that I would probably stop shooting if Bass Pro and/or Cabela's were the only game in town. Add Sportsman's Whorehouse also.
We just had a Scheel's open in Phoenix so I'll have to give them a try.
It sure makes me sad what happened to Cabela's.

Last edited by Winchester21; 12/28/23.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guys at the counter are all real experts too. wink

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Winchester21
All of us have gunshop horror stories. I'll just say that I would probably stop shooting if Bass Pro and/or Cabela's were the only game in town. Add Sportsman's Whorehouse also.
We just had a Scheel's open in Phoenix so I'll have to give them a try.
It sure makes me sad what happened to Cabela's.

It’s a nice store. Pick out what you want, fill out the paperwork. Go browse the reloading supplies or yoga pants until they text you to come back and pay. Easy. And a much better selection of reloading supplies and ammo at reasonable prices and they have actual sales on them sometimes.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
A couple of years ago ago I bought a rifle from Cabelas used gun page and picked it up at a Bass Pro store about 75 miles away. I called to make sure it was actually there and it was with my name on the box. The computer process took a while but it was pretty painless.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve only ever bought one gun from BPS/Cabelas and that was this past summer. They did seem to complicate things, making it harder than it needed to be. I’ve also bought from SW, and they are not nearly as complicated with the process.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Similar experience. I posted this on RFC a couple weeks ago.

Just need to rant. Cabela’s/*** Pro has the basic 10/22 carbines on sale for $270. I had picked one up at Cabela’s for $260 in WV when I was there for Thanksgiving. That transaction went painlessly, and the rifle shot decent out of the box, so I did a trigger job on it and mounted a red dot on it and called it good. So, when the rifle was on sale again for Christmas and they were offering an additional 10% on firearms for club members I ordered another one for pickup at my local Hampton, Virginia store. Got the email that my rifle was ready for pickup shortly thereafter. Yesterday evening I drove the 40 miles to the store and arrived 3 hours prior to closing. Went to the gun counter and there were probably 4 people behind counter. There were only about 3 customers milling around and several people sitting on benches. Even being slow it took a few minutes to get someone’s attention. I had noticed monitors over the counter with names and times. Asked if I needed to get a number to pick up an already purchased firearm. Employ said “we are not taking anyone else today, there are 4 people in front of you and there is no way we could get you processed before we close.” This was three hours before they close! They said it takes over 2 hours for paperwork. I told them that I am typically approved within a matter of seconds and they said that did not matter. I am not proud that I got a little and hot told them what I thought about it and walked away saying bass pro sucks.

I realize that big box stores take a little longer with the paper work, but not being able to serve a customer in 3 hours on a slow day is ridiculous. There was no way I was going to make another trip and wait, at best, 2 hours for paper work. Called Cabela’s this morning to share my frustration and get a refund for the order. I will say that the customer service person on the phone was great. He listened to my complaints, said that it was inexcusable and that they have problems like that at multiple stores and would make sure that the Hampton store hears about it. Whether or not that actually happens, who knows, but it make be feel a little better. Refund should post in a day and received a $20 off $20 coupon. But, I will never even attempt to purchase another firearm from this store.

They probably did me a favor, will now be looking at my local shops for an older rifle to use as a donor where I know the whole process will only take about 10 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I probably woulda asked a floor manager or floater before getting in line.

The place I use has a dedicated components counter so you get a bunch of us old farts squinting at the tiny type to see what is in stock.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Originally Posted by funshooter
I went to BPS grand opening here in Commyfornia
Waited about 2 hours to talk to a salesman because of all the people.
I asked the salesman if the had NATO Primers
He did not know what I was talking about.
So I explained what NATO Primers were.
He called over a Manager.
I asked the question again
Do you have NATO Primers.
The Manager said
What.
I explained to the manager what NATO Primers were.

He proceeded to tell me that I did not know what I was talking about and that there were NO SUCH THINGS AS NATO PRIMERS.
And then started to make fun of me in front of over 100 people waiting for their turn.

Never went back they can go screw them selves.
Hiring inept moron employees.
What are NATO primers? grin

They have a thicker shell to them.
They are designed to be used with Military Semi and Full Auto Firearms.

The heavier shell decreases the chances of a Slam Fire and Chain Reaction ignition of you ammo down the Magazine as the round is forced into the Chamber.

But them again
I do not know anything according to BPS
My head is firmly shoved up my Arrs.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
CCI #34 and CCI #41 are the large rifle and small rifle milspec primers, I’ve seen Winchester #41 as well but no Winchester #34, probably because LR primers are unobtainium.

Old70

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bass Pro/ Cabelas.The Walmart of the out door world

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by old70
Large Rifle primers are unobtainium.
I've still got a thousand count brick from when I bought it over 20 years ago.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I should have said new large rifle primers. I just cracked a brick of CCI 200’s with a $14.99 price tag. For the brick.

Old70

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I should have said new large rifle primers. I just cracked a brick of CCI 200’s with a $14.99 price tag. For the brick.

Old70
You stacked them deep.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
That being said, anyone driving passed their locally owned and operated gun shop to save $20 at a national chain store deserves whatever crap they gotta go through.

Agreed - mostly.

Average Independent Gun Store (these days) "I know I can't compete with the internet and big box chain stores so I make up for it with outrageous prices and horrible customer service"

Me

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Recently in a Bass Pro at the gun counter. Asked to see the mannlicher stocked rifle on the end. Gentlemen behind the counter starts pointing at different guns. I state "you work behind the gun counter and don't know what a mannlicher stock is". Gentlemen tells me "I don't have to take that from you" and walks away. I sad fine and walked out. Never will walk through a bass pro door again.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,135
Posts18,483,942
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.