Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#19052954 12/28/23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, is there anything in the world that makes a rifle more ugly or clunky?
They're just gross.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting without one is simply uncivilized. Plus, my tinnitus doesn't care how the rifle looks.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It depends on your point of view. They mitigate sound and recoil very well if constructed right. The only problem is their weight will cause thinner barrels to shoot low. The illegal NFA makes them expensive and deters a lot of competition. They're legal in almost all of Europe and can save you're hearing from damage of muzzle blast. They are probably the second thing behind AR's for misinformation in government speak. The government is not your friend.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are rifles that I am fine with being ugly, and then there are rifles you would never dream of putting on a suppressor……

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spoken like someone with little experience with them. I guess in a perfect world guns would be quiet without them but I'd hardly call them ugly and clunky. It's like calling a scope ugly and clunky. Don't use one if you don't like them, but it makes shooting way way better to have them. They should be sold as accessories and require no background check. Prices would plummet and volume would soar. Regulating them is asinine.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You're doing it wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of them aren’t nearly as heavy as what people would think. I love shooting with them especially on pistols and PCC’s neither of which are typically blued and walnut type guns to begin with. Even on more traditional firearms they don't look any worse than a scope and weigh less.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My tinnitus has simple origins. My office was frequently in the left seat, ears about 3-4' from the muzzle. I would not have cared one whit about ugly, but surely would have appreciated a muffler on that little dragon.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TimZ
There are rifles that I am fine with being ugly, and then there are rifles you would never dream of putting on a suppressor……

Dang, I'd better take the suppressors off my Holland and Holland Royal Double rifle.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Seriously, is there anything in the world that makes a rifle more ugly or clunky?
They're just gross.

I used to think/say the same thing – then I tried one while coyote hunting.
And......now own a bunch of them.

Taint a fashion show in the field – when you hunt, do you ask your hunting partner if your Wranglers make your butt look big?
If you can force yourself to get passed the look, I'm sure you'd be impressed with the function.

WWP53D
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No idea how it looks but mine aren’t clunky, heavy or gross. Just put another one in jail on tuesday and registered a lower for an SBR.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
They're just gross.
Sal, on this we agree! I know they have a purpose but they’re butt ugly and ruin the balance of the rifle.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most people don’t see the need until they do. Every person who has shot my suppressed guns now owns multiple suppressors. I still shoot many guns without, but by round count it’s easily 2 to 1 in favor of suppressed.

And no, if paired correctly they don’t interfere with balance or handling.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
They're just gross.

Taint a fashion show in the field – when you hunt, do you ask your hunting partner if your Wranglers make your butt look big?
If you can force yourself to get passed the look, I'm sure you'd be impressed with the function.

He lives in California. He's not allowed to own a suppressor.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a suppressor on my ruger 10/22 that I use for squirrel hunting. I can sit near a big hickory tree and get 5-7 before the survivors wake up and leave the tree. I also use it to shoot coons at night in my back yard when they raid my squirrel feeders. I have no use for suppressors on my big game rifles. Everyone is different, not right or wrong, just different.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They're just gross.

You say that in jest but......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
They're just gross.
Sal, on this we agree! I know they have a purpose but they’re butt ugly and ruin the balance of the rifle.

With a little thought and planning (barrel length/contour), they can be used so the rifle balances nicely. If a guy is thinking, well, I'm just gonna keep the length of my current 24" mountain rifle barrel and just thread it, hell yeah, it's gonna suck for balance.

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
They're just gross.

He lives in California. He's not allowed to own a suppressor.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Well, there is indeed that.
So this is purely a "I wouldn't put a suppressor on my uber-refined Tikka Hunter because THE CAN is ugly" thread.

WWP53D
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
They're great for making BLM rioters rethink their dedication to the cause. .22 caliber holes in kneecaps and the crotch area have a tendency to take all the fun out of a "mostly peaceful protest".

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They're just gross.

If that's what you worried about is LOOKS. Pleases don't buy one. Some of us use rifles as tools. Not safe queens.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 338reddog, 45_100, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 27 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,915
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.