Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Going to SBR an AR-15 Lower.

I want a billet with integral trigger guard and flared mag well.

Obviously want something decent as I'm dropping $$$ for a stamp. I'll run it for awhile to make sure there are no issues.

I like my Sharps 'Live Wire" except I don't care for the right side bolt release (I shoot left handed). I also like it's large and heavy duty TG.

Asking the experts here, as I'd like to try one and be done!

The Sharps lower was around $150 (IIRC) willing to go higher, but don't want to go crazy.

What about Mega? or ?

Thanks,

Jerry

My present lower;
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Si vis pacem, para bellum
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seekins is solid, but it also comes with the right-side bolt release.

https://www.primaryarms.com/seekins-precision-sp223-gen2-billet-lower-stripped-logo

Last edited by CopperSolid; 12/28/23.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d skip billet and go forged.

Aero has built in trigger guard and flared magwell.

I’d buy one and run it without a stock on it so it’ll qualify as a pistol. That way you can use it while you wait and just slap the stock on it after approval.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For a lefty, I’d think LMT would be my pick.. I guess it depends where you like ur mag release

Bolt release on the right side is dumb. Doesn’t help with malfunction drills and it’s slower then a reach with mag thumb if you index mags correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you wanna spend a lot, Noveske. I’d get an Aero. Got one in the truck right now.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I thought mega went out of business a long time ago.

If you are looking for resale value, knights, colts, and other expensive stuff.

I only have one sbr'd lower. It's a spikes. And was one of the cheapest lowers available at the time. Even anderson arms would be fine. But, they don't have the high dollar resale associated with them.

Just to go on record, it's hard to sell an sbr. Hardly no one ever does. You'll do better removing it from the registry and wasting the $200 stamp in order to sell it without the tax stamp strings. So, get what you like. If that means saving $100 for the anderson or palmetto state armory, go for it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Guys

I'll look around a bit

Jerry

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
One thing to note, is that quite a few companies suck at doing real qc on their lower.. PSA and Aero come to mind.

Forgot about the ADM. that’s a good one. Same with the LWRC.

Griffin was the original designer of the ADM lower and their version is 170$ currently.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aero is the easy button for a decent lower.

If you just gotta have a billet & just want to spend the money, for satisfaction, then SanTan is your huckleberry.

Or just go whole hog & buy a matched upper & lower; I've used their uppers & they are simply the best.

MM

SanTan Billet Lower

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A friend who runs a Spikes lower with a Colt upper on his SBR seems happy with that setup.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
One thing to note, is that quite a few companies suck at doing real qc on their lower.. PSA and Aero come to mind.

Forgot about the ADM. that’s a good one. Same with the LWRC.

Griffin was the original designer of the ADM lower and their version is 170$ currently.

Yeah, but the price point reflects that. PSA lower last month cost me $115. It’s quite serviceable, which is what I was after.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
For a lefty, I’d think LMT would be my pick.. I guess it depends where you like ur mag release

Bolt release on the right side is dumb. Doesn’t help with malfunction drills and it’s slower then a reach with mag thumb if you index mags correctly.

I would go LMT for a lefty and a righty, but they come at a price. I suggested Seekins because he asked for billet, but I prefer forged, and Aero is hard to beat.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just built a rifle on ADM lower and upper. Spendy, but super high quality. I’d do it again. Nice thing is that the mag release, take down pins, and bolt release are all pre installed. Add a trigger and safety and go.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Whatever you get, it will be yours for life because to form 1 a lower you must engrave your name, city and state. So choose wisely.

Right now I have Colt, Noveske, Red Dirt Armory (company owned by a friend I went to school with) and a few Andersons.

Two of the Anderson’s won’t let an empty mag drop free, another one was partially machined after being anodized. Then I had a Noveske that the trigger pins were drilled off just a touch. Worked fine but never could get a good trigger pull.

So whatever you buy, test it out thoroughly before you submit paperwork or have it engraved.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Whatever you get, it will be yours for life because to form 1 a lower you must engrave your name, city and state. So choose wisely.
That's exactly why I'm asking the 24hour experts. Besides I'll play with it a bit (in rifle config. before SBR'ing it).

Thanks, for the recommendations.

Have a great new year,

Jerry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Integral trigger guard, billet, and flared magwell.

Some of y’all are 0/3.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
CMT - Cross Machine & Tool. Lexington, TN
cmttac.com

All of their lowers and uppers are billet. I have two of the lowers (and matching uppers), both ambi, one SBR'ed. They have versions without right side bolt release and/or left side magazine release. Whatever yor flavor.
They are the manufacturer for several other brands also I believe.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I’d skip billet and go forged.

Aero has built in trigger guard and flared magwell.

I’d buy one and run it without a stock on it so it’ll qualify as a pistol. That way you can use it while you wait and just slap the stock on it after approval.
I have one of theses lowers. It's solid.
kwg

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m4e1-low-profile-stripped-lower-receiver-anodized-black

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Careful, Bluedreux will make fun of you.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Integral trigger guard, billet, and flared magwell.

Some of y’all are 0/3.
Blue,

Thanks, always appreciate your input... except you mistyped, I think you meant to write 3/3

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 41 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.