Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Who makes the best ever? Maybe me?

My mom used to make bread pudding and serve it with cool whip or maybe whipped cream, sometimes. First time I ever tried it with bourbon sauce was in Memphis, on the way home from a trip to the Gulf of Mexico in the late 1980s or so

About the only place I see it on a regular basis is at Famous Daves. And theirs is good enough, I suppose. I actually decided to try my hand at it today, and just pulled it out of the oven maybe 45 minutes ago

I wanna say that mine looked great out of the oven but collapsed pretty flat shortly after. I tried it with the bourbon sauce I made with a slug of Makers.
Famous who???

This stuff is great. And I tried it with no whipped cream or ice cream. FD serves it with both. I'll maybe try that tomorrow if I survive the night after all the butter and sugar consumption.

And now I'm wondering about maybe some rum sauce...

Actually wish I'd have made it earlier, now. Had the youngest son over for supper. (pork steak, squash, and steamed veggies)

I'll be an hour or more cleaning up, bit well worth it...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks great, John. Needs vanilla ice cream or that bourbon sauce.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
reminds me of a local place, served Cranberry Walnut cake with Hot Caramel sauce... damn that was good!, Bourbon woulda' made it even better!... closed during covid after 82 yrs... gotta' try makin' my own version now...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Google Kent Rollins bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce recipe. Simple and wonderful. Thank me later.

Last edited by Henryseale; 12/29/23. Reason: name correction

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice!

Thanks for sharing... brings back memories.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bread pudding with rum sauce is very common down here in south Louisiana. It’s on just about every seafood restaurant’s menu. I had some a couple weeks ago with a white chocolate rum sauce. It was too sweet for me. I’d rather just the rum sauce. The best I’ve ever eaten was made with stale hamburger and hotdog buns. They say stale French bread is also very good.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I use brioche bread bourbon sauce white raisins good stuff

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best I ever had was in Brennans in NOLA….

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Suggestion; use Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey. Go's well. Also good on ice cream

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
This recipe makes some of my favorite bread pudding.

Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce

PUDDING:

1 (16 ounce) loaf French bread

1 quart milk

3 eggs

2 cups sugar

2 Tablespoons vanilla extract

1 cup raisins

3 Tablespoons butter, melted

WHISKEY SAUCE:

1/2 cup butter

1 cup powdered sugar

1 egg

3 Tablespoons bourbon

Tear bread into chunks and soak in milk; crush with hands until well mixed; add eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins; stir well. Pour batter into bottom of heavy 10 x 10 inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F until very firm (30 to 35 minutes). Let cool before cutting into squares or cubes. When ready to serve, add sauce and heat under broiler on lowest rack in oven until sauce bubbles. Serve with whiskey sauce. Yield: 10 to 12 servings. WHISKEY SAUCE: Cook butter and sugar in double boiler until very hot and sugar has dissolved; add well- beaten egg and whip very fast so egg doesn't curdle. Let cool and add bourbon; blend well.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
EastMS,

Basically my recipe too: BUT...

I use Apple Bread, fresh.........

The old original idea of starting with day old or stale bread, while frugal, just seems wrong....

I've had many a '...I don't like bread pudding...' come back with '...can I have more...'

Last edited by Muffin; 12/29/23.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Jaxx Steakhouse in Addison, Texas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sold the hell out of my recipe for that dessert, at my last restaurant.

Sam......

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That looks great. Hard to beat good bread pudding. If it’s on the menu at a restaurant we try it, although often let down. Some of the best we have had came from a local pizza restaurant that just shut down. Gonna have to try to make some homemade now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my favorite desserts!! Gonna have to try some of these recipes

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I basically used the simple version of the Betty Crocker recipe and made the sauce from the other BC recipe.

I did substitute brioche bread and I don't really measure anything when I'm cooking. I usually tend to add extra eggs and butter. If heavy cream is involved, I usually get carried away with it, too

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Muffin
EastMS,

The old original idea of starting with day old or stale bread, while frugal, just seems wrong....

I've had many a '...I don't like bread pudding...' come back with '...can I have more...'

I brought home fresh brioche bread for it. Then took a rack out of the oven and propped it up on empty egg cartons to dry my bread on for a day and a half before I used it... grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Muffin
EastMS,

I brought home fresh brioche bread for it. Then took a rack out of the oven and propped it up on empty egg cartons to dry my bread on for a day and a half before I used it... grin

I also put bourbon or rum in the bread mix.......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love bread puddin. Had a great aunt that made the redneck version. Made from scratch leftover biscuits, evaporated milk, sugar and real butter. Cooked up in a Griswold 10” skillet in the oven. Sometimes she used 1/2 white and half brown sugar. Had cinnamon in it too. Real crisp on top.
I had a stroke in 2003 and suffered short term memory loss causing me to go on disability. I started watching food network cooking shows (Paula Deen) and started cooking at home. Found out that following a recipe in sequence helped the short term memory loss. Anyhow, watched Paula do a bread pudding cooking show. She started out by going to the Krispy Kreme Donut Shop to get 2 dozen of their glazed donuts ( ate a dozen but boxed up 24). She broke them into pieces, added sweetened condensed milk - full can, sugar, egg, sugar and bourbon. Wife never let me make it cos of my diabetes.
I do make mine with stale French bread - Walmart reduced price. Brioche bread is fine too. I use milk sugar egg and cinnamon , no bourbon. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.