Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
You should keep thinking about it and stay home...
Yup, the campfire these days. Nothing but azzholes.

That means a lot to me, thanks.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 358wsm
(Too I have several 270 Winchesters in Winchester Model 70’s as well as a “shooter” in a early gray stock Kimber Montana).

My preference is TTSX’s or LRX’s (for the sake of penetration) but I’m open to options.

I'd take your Kimber MT 270. A lighter rifle is a real blessing elk hunting. I'm personally not really a fan of mono's, and you'll generally get quicker kills with a more fragmenting bullet, but either way the Barnes are good bullets. Practice out to 500 yards, but more importantly make sure your boots are comfortable, you're in shape, and you're packing the best binoculars you can afford.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
(Too I have several 270 Winchesters in Winchester Model 70’s as well as a “shooter” in a early gray stock Kimber Montana).

My preference is TTSX’s or LRX’s (for the sake of penetration) but I’m open to options.

I'd take your Kimber MT 270. A lighter rifle is a real blessing elk hunting. I'm personally not really a fan of mono's, and you'll generally get quicker kills with a more fragmenting bullet, but either way the Barnes are good bullets. Practice out to 500 yards, but more importantly make sure your boots are comfortable, you're in shape, and you're packing the best binoculars you can afford.

Sheesh, way to make it sound easy Brad... whistle

I'll add make sure you have quick access to your bin's/RF and your pack fits nicely.

Oh, and a few feet of 550 cord for odd's and ends..

Last edited by beretzs; 12/22/23.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

I'll add make sure you have quick access to your bin's/RF and your pack fits nicely.

And last but not least, "find an elk to kill."

grin

Merry Christmas Scotty!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

grin

Merry Christmas Scotty!

Merry Christmas to you Brad.!
Thank you for your love, shared experiences, wisdom, and insight over the years.

My very best to you, Sir.

Scott.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"If I were to pick from your list I believe I'd go with the 280 Rem and 160gr Speer Hot Cores. Use to use those Speer in a 7mm mag and loved them. Never shot an elk with it but I am certain a well placed hit would make the elk fall down right away! Second choice on your list would be the 30-06 with the 165gr load. I'd prefer the 180gr bullet but no doubt in my mind if you hold up your end, the 165 gr will hold up it's end."

That was my thought as well on both cartridges. About the only differences I have would be the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam for the .280 and the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond in the 06.

Many here have taken a lot more elk that I have but one was with the .300 Win. Mag. at a laser measured 530 yards. One with the 30-06 at about 100 yard with the 165 gr. Accubond. the rest were with the 225 gr. Barnes TSX from my .35 Whelen. Shots ranged from about 75 yards and the longest at 350 yards as measured by my guide.

Just some notes on the .300 Win. mag. I'm not as recoil shy as some but also know wwhen to quit. On the hunt with that long range shot, I literally spent on average two to three days at the range shooting from 100 yards out where the 500 meter rams were on my clubs silhouette range. Some shots were from the bench to establish holdover and the from various positions. Mostly off hand at 100, sitting at 200, 300 400 and 500 meters. I did some kneeling but probably not as much as I should have. Just never liked the position. Did not work with prone. The shot was about 8 AM, not one bit of wind. I'd bellied up to the last small bust that was maybe a foot and a half tall. The elk were lasered ay 530 yards walking in a straight line heading for the Apache Reservation. When hunters show up they move out. I picked the last cow in the line and aimed with a bit of daylight between the crosshair and her back and touched one off. Several things happened in rapid succession. I did not feel the kick of the rifle and all I heard from the shot sounded like, "poof." The elk went down hard, kicked a bit then lay still. When I heard that shot I thought, "Oh, I had a squib." My point being if you can do the practice like I did you will have a sore shoulder but you'll never notice it on your elk. Just a further thought. I think when I took that shot on that elk, I was concentrating so hard for a good hold and trigger squeeze that I blocked all outside interference. I've notice this at the ranges as well when I'm sometimes trying to get the best possible group from a known accurate load. BTW, that 300 Mag load was a 200 gr. speer HC at just short of 2900 FPS.

I think it was the late Bob Hagel who commented on recoil. he said something like this. "Shooting a rifle with heavy recoil is like prize fighting. Once you step into the ring you know you're gonna get hit. It's the same thing shooting a rifle with heavy recoil. Yoo're gonna get hit."
PJ

Thank you for taking the time invested in writing all that.

In speaking with my outfitter/coworker at dinner last night I mentioned to him that I have been giving serious thought to my 280.
He smiled and then proceeded to tell me his first Elk kill was with his own 280.

Some of the solid advice here has pointed out the wisdom of taking 2 rifles. It looks like I’ll be bringing the 270 Montana and the 280 Win. Featherweight.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

grin

Merry Christmas Scotty!

Merry Christmas buddy!

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven’t used a 280 but I’ve killed a lot of elk using a 270 with 150gr bullets and a lot with a 30-06 using 165’s. Both are elk gitters. The 280 sits right between them and will work as well as either of them. If you can’t do it with any of the 3, the fault is yours, not the gun’s.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
"Some of the solid advice here has pointed out the wisdom of taking 2 rifles. It looks like I’ll be bringing the 270 Montana and the 280 Win. Featherweight."

Good choices.

Load them with 130/150gr Barnes TTSX, and go kill an elk.

I am a Barnes fan, by the way.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
You should keep thinking about it and stay home...

With a 493 mile walk and a river to swim ahead of you, you might want to ponder things beyond your fantasies.
Comprender.?!?!?🤣

Isn’t that what is happening at our border?

Hold your hand over your eyes and randomly pick one and go. You’ll be fine

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Your outfitter said! Well I live and hunt in Central Oregon and have never needed to take a shot at 400 yds. You do and it's one of two things. 1} maybe just pumping your ego or 2} need to learn how to hunt. The only need to take shot in hunting is a dangerous game animal attacking at close range. Every other shot is made by choice! Depending on where I look out of my house I can see from about 30 yds, next door neighbor to anywhere else better than a thousand yds! I limit my shooting to 300 yds and have only done that one time just to say I did it. Certainly was not a need to shot!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Any one will work. If that outfitter suggests shot to 400 could happen, he's a straight shooter. Expect to shoot across a drainage that's at least that. The 200 yard broadside thing could happen too. Practice shooting in alot of positions as mentioned. If I had to pick from the cartridges mentioned I'm going 06 with a 165 interlock. Why take a 270 or 280 when you have an 06? And if recoil bothers you, that's gonna be the least of your worries. Find an elk and get ready to take in some unbelievable sights and enjoy a memorable experience.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
358 WSM, I Haven't had an "easy" elk hunt yet, easier and tougher, yes. A real short hunt for a cow elk last January, just one day, but it was a rough day, lots of hiking in steep country. A crawling stalk for a couple hundred yards and finally a 30-06 shot from 405 yards when we ran out of cover. Three of us packed her out of there back to the road. My goodness! One day, but a great hunt and great meat. Enjoy!

With a freezer still half full of elk meat I didn't see a need to hunt elk again this season. Got my cow elk last January. I think I'll be trying to re-do that same cow elk hunt in about a year. Should need meat by then.

You've got several great rifles to choose from. Pick a favorite, enjoy your practice time with it and enjoy your hunt. Looking forward to your hunt report!

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Cascade
358 WSM, I Haven't had an "easy" elk hunt yet, easier and tougher, yes. A real short hunt for a cow elk last January, just one day, but it was a rough day, lots of hiking in steep country. A crawling stalk for a couple hundred yards and finally a 30-06 shot from 405 yards when we ran out of cover. Three of us packed her out of there back to the road. My goodness! One day, but a great hunt and great meat. Enjoy!

With a freezer still half full of elk meat I didn't see a need to hunt elk again this season. Got my cow elk last January. I think I'll be trying to re-do that same cow elk hunt in about a year. Should need meat by then.

You've got several great rifles to choose from. Pick a favorite, enjoy your practice time with it and enjoy your hunt. Looking forward to your hunt report!

Regards, Guy

Elk hunting is something I live for. I'll bet you were hunting in the same unit my buddy did this last January. He got his cow elk as well, and I think the shot was similar in distance. I wasn't there, but he sent me a video of the cow he shot. I helped one of his buddies about 10 years ago on a coastal hunt, and it was some work. Elk hunts have always been work, even if you don't get one. I work a pretty physical job (in the shipyards), and I always say that elk hunting is harder. I always go back to work sore as hell. My boss/elk hunting partner always says, "it separates the men from the boys". One thing about it, if the OP doesn't have to worry about packing the elk out, that makes it a much easier hunt. Less worry and stress too. But with us, that is what they make pack frames and buddies for. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 300 WSM is by far your best choice for obvious reasons, more killing power from the muzzle out to any range vs the others, a hunters primary responsibility & objective is to KILL by putting game on the ground STAT, without all the bs of waiting for it to bleed out after the shot and the absolutely cringy nonsense of "following the blood trail", you're not bowhunting, modern firearms and cartridges can & will absolutely smash big game animals to the ground with one shot, providing the hunter makes the appropriate choice in cartridge to game selection, far too many hunters choose lesser cartridges, shoot a big animal, then wonder why it ran off .... That's not supposed to happen

With recoil being a factor in your decision and the 165 gr recoil max in the 300 WSM

I'd suggest going a bit lower in weight to reduce the recoil even further and speed that bullet up for maximum energy transfer, at 400 yards (or any distance) the 300 WSM excels far beyond your other choices

The 153 gr Apex Afterburner bullet has a bc higher than most 180 gr 30 cal bullets and can be loaded to a screaming 3350 fps in the 300 WSM with about 6-7 common powders usually found on the shelves everywhere, recoil is about on par with the 30-06 dragging 180 gr potato shaped bullets at barely 2700 fps, factory loads usually slower, very unattractive, lol !

Simply put ..... with the 153 gr Apex Afterburner bullet at 3350 fps in your 300 WSM .... You blow away all your other guns/cartridges in velocity & impact energy at 400 yards with negligible recoil

The kind of stuff that builds confidence and improves your shooting skills

I load the 153 gr bullet in my 300 RUM at 3550 fps for a mild load with LRT....can run it much faster but it shoots so dang good right there

153 gr Apex Afterburner bullets

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.