Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, I'm contemplating a Meatcrafter knife for deer processing.

Not really looking to debate Rinella or Benchmade or that.

What I'm curious about is the expected differences in the same knife made with the same geometry but these two different steels....?

Thanks!

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
S45VN!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ive got the base model with cpm154.

I like it, use it for cutting up deer meat.

Some say they dont like the santoprene handle with the exposed tang,
Works fine for me.

Is the s45vn model $200 better?? Not IMHO.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Ive got the base model with cpm154.

I like it, use it for cutting up deer meat.

Some say they dont like the santoprene handle with the exposed tang,
Works fine for me.

Is the s45vn model $200 better?? Not IMHO.
👆👆👆

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks.

The interest for me in the Meat Crafter is that it looks to be able to do what I use several knives for currently. I use a Victorinox straight boning knife for most of my work parting out the hind quarters into muscle groups. I have a curved version of that, but found quickly that I wasn't a fan of that big curve they use on that blade.

I have an old Sharp brand fillet knife that's roughly the same as the straight Vic boning knife that I use as a "New York reload" when cutting.... if the Victorinox starts losing its edge I'll just go to the Sharp and keep working.

I know many will touch blades up on a stick or steel mid-job, but I dislike using a knife I've been cutting venison with on a steel or stick. I know many do, but I don't like to do that. I'll stop, clean the knives, sharpen/touch up, and then go back to work. Since that's a pain, I just keep an extra sharp knife if I need it.

I use a Rapala fillet knife for the flex and thin blade that can get really really sharp to fillet off silver skin from the backstraps. That's about all I use it for unless I'm in a bind and need a sharp blade to finish something, but the flex in the Rapala is much too much for most other work, at least for my taste.

Given all that, what I've read so far with the Meat Crafter is that it's capable for all the above tasks and, if you don't bang it into bone a lot (which I avoid as much as I can when cutting), it'll hold that edge for the entire job (1 deer) nicely.

That's convenient at home, but when on a hunt where I've traveled to hunt and I'm processing while at the location, being able to condense things to one knife would be nice.

Also, next fall's trip to Texas with several other hunters will likely see me processing for the other hunters as well (long story, but something I've offered to do). So, I'll be looking at hunting in the morning, cutting deer mid-day, clean up my table/tools, and back out to hunt for the evening. Having a knife that can get me through the whole animal (I'll get them from the outfitter skinned and quartered, which helps) and then just need some soap/water and an edge touch-up to be ready for the next day's work would be a great help.

I'm open to other ideas besides the Meat Crafter, but that particular knife seems to have the geometry I'd prefer and the dimensions. I am not a fan of the big breaking style knives, but when it comes to slicing cuts, I like a longer/more broad blade. This seems like it would check all the boxes for me.......just wasn't sure what the differences in actual work performance would be between 154 and S45VN.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For that task, I think you be pleased with the meatcrafter.

My thought is for the money for the higher end meat rafter.. you’re getting into the custom knife price range.

And could get exactly what you have in mind, both pattern and steel.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you!

How much flex do you feel the -154 blade has? Compared to, if you've used them, the Victorinox semi-stiff blades, or conversely the Rapala fillet knives (opposite ends of the spectrum, I know).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ll check this evening…

I wanna say it’s .100” at the spine ? Without googling it.

Postimg was being cantankerous earlier..

J_elky on here makes a heck of boning knife.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/quote]

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you like that style, there is nothing wrong with using it. For your use, I'd bet the CPM 154 will do everything you need doing, and save you some bucks.

Sam......

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That is a nice lookin’ knife… I’ll have to look more into them on here when I get a minute.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you like the meatcrafter pattern,

Ken Honeycutt has a similar model ( been around longer the the meatcrafter)

Not mine, i grabbed this from his web site..

Believe he calls it the Dorado

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dave

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Dang… lots to look at!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

JFC…. Why did you have to post that pic?!
I’m trying not to spend $$ but I think I need one of those.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'll have to email Ken Honeycutt and/or contact J_elky when I'm closer to a purchase.

The listing for the Charles May knife is cool, but a lot pricier than the specific knife I was asking about on here (the CPM-154 Meat Crafter is about $130-$160). I know the S45VN version of the Meat Crafter is in that same ballpark for cost, but I was looking to avoid that and was asking about the steels to see if I was losing anything of significance from one to the other, given the geometry of the blade is the same.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
You are not going to beat the cpm154 meatcrafter for the money. I have one and like it.

the s45vn will surely hold an edge a bit longer but will also be tougher to sharpen. It wouldn't be worth the big price increase to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Great looking blade. Looks very similar to Gene Ingram's Kingfisher.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Digging around the interwebs and looking at what pricing is for the various makers' offerings...and let's be clear that I don't begrudge any knife maker what they charge.... it's looking like the CPM-154 Meatcrafter likely will best fit my intended uses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
👍👍👍

I like mine.. no doubt youll like it.

Dave

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a hard time believing people would spend that kind of money for a production knife when they could buy custom knives for less or equal money that are way better made and cut better. It is your money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 21, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,482,995
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.