Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’m getting frustrated by the lack of “Traditional” hunting scopes out there and the lack of power ranges 1x-5x
Leupold I’m looking at you! Does everything have to have a monster tube and a turret on top of it? Also you bumped out all the fantastic middle ground offerings. Everything is close to $1k because it has HD on it! How about running some a line of hunting scopes in that vx3 range? Even if it was only every so often?

Other brands too, vortex had it nailed with the razor hd lh line that they quickly made tacticool…now it’s like everything else…

I want simple optic for some DG calibers and just cannot find a simple scope like the good ol m8 of Vari -x iii

FRUSTRATION RANT

HOPE THEY READ IT!

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As Slick Willy said, "I feel your pain".

Just buy all of the old Vari-X III and M8 Leupolds you can find. If one goes bad they will send you crappy new ones under warranty forever. But you probably won't need them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s what’s selling right now.

But yea, I strongly agree.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Iclimb
I’m getting frustrated by the lack of “Traditional” hunting scopes out there and the lack of power ranges 1x-5x
Leupold I’m looking at you! Does everything have to have a monster tube and a turret on top of it? Also you bumped out all the fantastic middle ground offerings. Everything is close to $1k because it has HD on it! How about running some a line of hunting scopes in that vx3 range? Even if it was only every so often?

Other brands too, vortex had it nailed with the razor hd lh line that they quickly made tacticool…now it’s like everything else…

I want simple optic for some DG calibers and just cannot find a simple scope like the good ol m8 of Vari -x iii

FRUSTRATION RANT

HOPE THEY READ IT!

Sadly, you may have to buy used.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-1-5-5x20-cds-zl-duplex

1" tube, 1.5-5x. Seems right up your alley if that's what you're after. It does have a CDS knob that is low profile and locks, so you don't have to use it.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
far too many to tacticool and heavy . versus more simplistic and nice and light..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
far too many to tacticool and heavy . versus more simplistic and nice and light..

Probably the reason scopes like the gloss and silver Leupold Vari-XIIc models are selling like hotcakes over on ebay. Those damn things demand a premium.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ldholton

Probably the reason scopes like the gloss and silver Leupold Vari-XIIc models are selling like hotcakes over on ebay. Those damn things demand a premium.

Girls want their heels to match their nails. wink

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lots of Fudd scopes out there still. And they still suck

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That’s why I held on to the 80’s vintage Leupold 3X9’s For tracking I don’t want anything bigger and half the time I take it off and run iron sights. People don’t hunt like I do anymore which is fine I’m set with my gear. Most hunt over a Ag field or a pile of corn and shoot critters from their deer blind gun turrets. Different strokes. There’s a few out there still, find one, grab it and hold onto it

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I quizzed two manufactures about making a simple 3 - 9, both almost verbatim said, magnification sells.

Blame your fellow shooter, market driven environment, they build what sells.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. 3 guys I’ve advised lately all want 14x or more, to hunt mostly inside 250yds for deer.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just shake my head every time is see the uber tacticool LPVO mentioned. I was using 1-4X, 1.75-6X, and 2-7X 40 years ago. Still do.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Darryle
I quizzed two manufactures about making a simple 3 - 9, both almost verbatim said, magnification sells.

Blame your fellow shooter, market driven environment, they build what sells.

What's wrong with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with a duplex reticle? Also, Burris Fullfield II scopes may be"discontinued," but they're (including 3-9x40 model) still available on Amazon, so stock up before they're gone. Those are the scopes you are looking for at two different price points.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Agreed. Nothing fits a rifle anymore. Especially if you want low with nothing hanging over the ejection port.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Same reason you can hardly get a mfg like Winchester to run a m70 with blued steel and walnut…

Listen i know there are used options etc but I’m just saying…WTF

I understand it’s marketing and it’s what is in but it seems to me that they have terrible overlap on their models…Jesus, how many turreted, w/ segmented reticle, scopes does a company have to produce? Need to bug SWFA to do a “hunter line” simple sleek light hunting scopes!

searching midway and filter the search for “min power 1x”….proceed to get pissed!
Looks like trijicon might have an option or two. But bordering that affordability line…
Saw a nice nightforce $4350 ‘ish

It’s frustrating! Leupold do a “campfire run” wink

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JPro
Yep. 3 guys I’ve advised lately all want 14x or more, to hunt mostly inside 250yds for deer.
Wow, I absolutely believe that but still saddened. Better off with a fixed 3x if they could find one. We live in an urbanized culture where practical field experience has been supplanted by wannabe SEAL snipers. Ask any Western hunting guide and they'll tell you their clients are over scoped, over calibered, under practiced and out of shape, but the fundamentals aren't sexy and don't sell product or periodicals.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
OP). I run 50mm 2x10/2x12 on all my hunting rifles..........We can shoot(deer) 1 hr before sunrise to 1 hr after sun set........Those weinie scopes just won't cut in low light. Neither will small cheap binoculars..............Youse pays yo $$$ and makes yo choice.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.