Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greydog
Accuracy may suck. Pressure will be lower, but not that much lower. The case, in it's role as a gasket, will function as it should. The neck may split, but likely not.
I fired 300 win mag through a 300 Weatherby. This produced about the same amount of jump as the 308 in a 30/06. It shot OK but POI was off by eight inches at 100. The fired case had about .1" of neck.
There are ammo mix ups which can be very dangerous; this isn't one of them. GD

Is that a voice that I hear crying in the wilderness?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Only emergency I could think of to run a 308 through a 06 would be if someone were breaking in my house and first thing I grabbed.

Thanks, Billy
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by persiandog
Accuracy may suck. Pressure will be lower, but not that much lower. The case, in it's role as a gasket, will function as it should. The neck may split, but likely not.
I fired 300 win mag through a 300 Weatherby. This produced about the same amount of jump as the 308 in a 30/06. It shot OK but POI was off by eight inches at 100. The fired case had about .1" of neck.
the bullet enters the barrel and spins as it should,what is causing the inaccuracy ?

is it vibration of barrel ?
Just misalignment with the throat. Damages the bullet and causes an imbalance. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the bullet enters the barrel and spins as it should,what is causing the inaccuracy ?

Were you born an idiot or is it from a lifetime of practice?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH

Were you born an idiot or is it from a lifetime of practice?

that's the nicest thing ever. lets have coffee

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have found brass at the range. 7mm Rem through a 300WM. New shoulder location, diameter, and a very short neck. Witnessed a guy shoot a 375 H&H through a 458 Lott. He was embarrassed as hell but did have a nice chamber and lead casting.

Sean
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by smokepole
OK, I'll go with 20 gauge then.
Unless it's a pump and after it's fired the action is worked so the 20 gauge shell is chambered then slides down forward inside the barrel ,the gun doesn't fire, the action is ran again and another shell is chambered and fired, the gun blows up in your hands, and If you are lucky you will still have both hand, and have vision

Sounds like I need to go with .410 shells then.

Thanks for the tip!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve rattled a 270 down a 30/06 at the range before by mistake. It hit about 6, 8 inches off. I thought what the heck. Didn’t take long to figure out. Left my 270 rounds on the table by mistake. I have a rule at the range. Only one cal on the bench at a time. Other rounds back in my range tote. Most times I shoot 3-4 different calibers every time I go to the range.

Talk to the range guys at American Shooting Center in Houston. They have all kinds of stories about wrong calibers in wrong guns.

Thanks, Billy
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My friend and mentor, Art Bourne, told me of a time when a mutual friend wanted to write an article of the dangers of ammunition mix ups. The 20 gauge in a 12 ga was a well known issue so he wanted to do that and have a picture of the resultant blow-up for his article. Art procured an old Iver Johnson single shot 12 ga., some 20 ga. shells, a box of 2 3/4 inch magnums, and headed out to the range to blow up a gun.
He dropped a 20 gauge shell into the breech where, predictably, it fell as far as the forcing cone. He fed a 12 ga magnum in behind it, put the gun in an old tire, and with a string on the trigger, fired it. It bucked violently in the tire and...nothing. Art picked up the gun and looked it over. It looked fine. He repeated the process twice more, with no apparent effect. By now, blowing up this gun had become a bit of an obsession. He next put the gun, muzzle down, into a barrel of water, with the water level just ahead of the chamber. He fired it with a long stick. The gun shot into the air, water flew, and the gun came down unhurt, although, it did seem to be getting a little loose. The next shot featured the 20 gauge shell again, but with the addition of a half cup of Polyfilla ahead of the shell. Again in the tire, the gun roared, there was some smoke from the breech, but it was still in one piece. The experiment was over though; the old gun had loosened up to the point that firing pin would no longer reach the primer. I don't think the article ever got written. GD

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My friend and mentor, Art Bourne, told me of a time when a mutual friend wanted to write an article of the dangers of ammunition mix ups. The 20 gauge in a 12 ga was a well known issue so he wanted to do that and have a picture of the resultant blow-up for his article. Art procured an old Iver Johnson single shot 12 ga., some 20 ga. shells, a box of 2 3/4 inch magnums, and headed out to the range to blow up a gun.
He dropped a 20 gauge shell into the breech where, predictably, it fell as far as the forcing cone. He fed a 12 ga magnum in behind it.......

Yep, we do this demonstration in our hunter's ed class, using dummy rounds. We also have a rifle that was blown up, and a .270 case that was fired in a 7 mm Mag. and split open that we pass around. Those items seem to get people's attention.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Why?? Just Why??

emergency ! you took the 308 instead of 30-06 ammo and a huge elk is at 100yard.

Is this a real question? "a huge elk is at 100" isn't a f'n emergency. It's a major mishap on your part for not confirming what ammo you have to match your gun. Which is what we learn when we're about 5 years old.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
He dropped a 20 gauge shell into the breech where, predictably, it fell as far as the forcing cone. He fed a 12 ga magnum in behind it.......

Yep, we do this demonstration in our hunter's ed class, using dummy rounds. We also have a rifle that was blown up, and a .270 case that was fired in a 7 mm Mag. and split open that we pass around. Those items seem to get people's attention.

smoke;
Morning once more sir, though it's now breaking daylight here, I still hope you're well.

On occasion in our hunter safety class, I've dragged this out to illustrate what happens when those "10 diesel pickups stacked on a Loonie" don't fall where we want them to.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was a perfectly good B78 in .22-250 until that fatal day. It came from an estate so while I did hear theories as to what happened, nobody knows for sure - apparently not even the late owner. Best guess was a hot .250 load, but again it was a guess by the late owner.

Anyways, that's the pressures we're guessing with.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Goodness, this thread has been a wealth of information on who the dumbest MFs are. Carry on.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Goodness, this thread has been a wealth of information on who the dumbest MFs are. Carry on.

As everyone who has posted on it nods in agreement.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

As everyone who has posted on it nods in agreement.
LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
there is no lewis and clark in any of you , you have to pee into the wind , be a pioneer and ask questions.
Lewis and Clark were able to complete their exploration by not doing stupid schit.

This is historically accurate. In fact, when Lewis and Clark approached Thomas Jefferson to ask for funding for the expedition, Jefferson asked them how they planned to successfully float raging rivers and cross mountain ranges, all in hostile Indian territory.

To which Clark famously replied: "Mr. President, our plan is to avoid doing stupid schit." Jefferson was astonished at their alacrity and approved the fundng forthwith.

G
G
I wouldn't try to feed my rifle with a different caliber ammo than what it's made for. If we're talking WSHTF here, then a very good prep would be to have some tools to feed your rifle. Any bullets, powder, and primers that would make a .308 happy would also feed a 30-06 or any other .30 caliber rifle.

If you have some basic reloading equipment you can scavenge bullets, powder, and primers from .308 or other similar rifle ammo and make your own 30-06, or other, rifle ammo. A press, a bullet puller, a set of dies for your rifle's caliber, a powder scale or measure, a punch to push out primers, and the necessary brass. Except for pulling bullets, even a simple Lee Loader would work.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gila_dog
I wouldn't ......

welcome aboard

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
How much difference in headspace is there between a 38 and 357?

There is none, both headspace on the rim.

Exactly

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
How much difference in headspace is there between a 38 and 357?

None because they headspace on the rim. .308 and 30-06 are rimless and headspace on the shoulder.

I know, but I'm not the one that brought up 38/357.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.