Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 sitting in the safe doing nothing.

I was looking at some Remington model 7s lately but couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Are there any lightweight, compact, wooden or laminate stocks out there that I could put on this?

If I could get a compact stock I could cut and crown the barrel at 20" and probably have a nice little carrying rifle. I know it won't be a model 7. But could still come up with a nice rifle probably if stocks are available.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There isn't a lot out there for Stevens 200 rifles, and there isn't a lot you can do cheaply to lighten up a Savage rifle.

First thing you'll need to determine is if you have a centerfeed 4.40" or staggerfeed rifle 4.275". Savage/Stevens rifles had two different screw spacings for their short actions. Once you figure out your screw spacing you'll know which stock to buy. Easiest way to determine is a centerfeed magazine is attached to the stock, a staggerfeed is attached to the action.

A factory takeoff stock will be your best bet for a wood. You can shorten LOP and reshape the factory stock pretty easily to get it the size you want. Boyd's gunstocks will be the best option for a laminated stock. Laminate stocks will be a lot harder to reshape due to the glue. Both options will probably be heavier than the factory stock currently on your rifle.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d sell the Stevens and buy a Model 7

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I’d sell the Stevens and buy a Model 7

Yep.

If you want a model 7 why settle for less?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If you want a light bolt action rifle, sell the Stevens, skip the Remington 7, and buy a Kimber Hunter.

I've owned Stevens 200s, other than the roll stamps, they are the same as the pre-AccuTrigger 110 series with a light gray colored stock. Still a heavy action that can have weight milled away, but if you can't do it yourself, probably not worth paying someone competent to do.

I own a bunch of Remington 7s and in their 18.5" and 20" configurations they are butt-heavy and don't point nearly as well as you'd want.

I own 4 Kimber Hunters, as well as a few faux-700 TI parts gunss, and think that the Hunters are the best value in a light weight hunting rifle if they are chambered for a cartridge that you favor. One of mine is rebarreled in 22 CM, but the other three are factory specs in 243, 6.5CM, and 308, cartridges that cover the spectrum of whatever I'm likely to shoot these days.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No Hunter’s, but very fond of the Montana’s

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want a lightweight hunting rifle get a new Weatherby backcountry Ti. 5 lbs.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Still a heavy action that can have weight milled away, but if you can't do it yourself, probably not worth paying someone competent to do.

BTDT it wasn't terribly expensive for the mill work, it got expensive later trying to keep the action from canting in the stock. It would be cheaper just to buy the Lightweight Storm at this time than to mill metal away. The OP wouldn't have a wood stock, but he'd get an SS light rifle in 7-08 with a street price under $800.

I imagine the current price of Model Seven rifles is what's driving the OP to consider his Stevens 200. Like I stated earlier a wood stock and cutting the lightest 2" off the barrel isn't going to save much if any weight. It might make for a handy rifle though.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Magazine is attached to the action. So, based off what Taylorce said I'll need something to fit the staggered feed action.

Which sounds like it'll further limit my options.

Thanks to the couple of people that have PMed on this topic as well.

And yes, I agree on the model 7, and I'll have one eventually. . My list of wants is long.

But what I have currently is an accurate staggered feed action in 7mm-08 with no purpose taking up room in my safe lol!

-jake

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Magazine is attached to the action. So, based off what Taylorce said I'll need something to fit the staggered feed action.

Numrich has what you need. There are a few other options as well.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I was looking at some Remington model 7s lately but couldn't bring myself to buy one.

Are there any lightweight, compact, wooden or laminate stocks out there that I could put on this?

If I could get a compact stock I could cut and crown the barrel at 20" and probably have a nice little carrying rifle. I know it won't be a model 7. But could still come up with a nice rifle probably if stocks are available.

-Jake

Don't listen to the guys saying to sell it and buy a model 7. The Stevens 200 is going to outshoot a model 7, 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.

The route I took was to put my Stevens 200 into a newer Savage stock. This one was off of an XP Trophy Hunter, with a detachable mag:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This rifle is a sleeper, like most Steven's 200's:

They are cheap, but tend to shoot well. The triggers are crap. I replace them with a Timney.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've had several of these and have three currently. Two 7mm-08s and a .270. All shoot great.

Guess I was looking for something a little different on this one
-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1

That actually will probably do perfectly.

Think I should chop the barrel down any?

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

-Jake

Don't listen to the guys saying to sell it and buy a model 7. The Stevens 200 is going to outshoot a model 7, 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.

The route I took was to put my Stevens 200 into a newer Savage stock. This one was off of an XP Trophy Hunter, with a detachable mag:

This rifle is a sleeper, like most Steven's 200's:

They are cheap, but tend to shoot well. The triggers are crap. I replace them with a Timney.

Maybe he doesn't care if it shoots bug holes. Maybe he wants a different kind of gun? Maybe he wants a model 7, just because he wants one.

Just sayin...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1

That actually will probably do perfectly.

Think I should chop the barrel down any?

-Jake

That's totally up to you. I'd wait to cut it until you have it in the stock. That way you can figure out where you want the balance.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Stevens 200s seem to have a cult following, I remember when Academy put them on clearance for $179 several years ago. I have heard from a couple of guys that they are almost the same as Savage 11/111s

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I thought the Stevens 200 was basically an Axis?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Txtrout

No that's the edge

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Txtrout

No. It's a 110 action in a crappy stock

I've had good luck with them. I had one 22-250 that I couldn't get to feed properly. All the others have been excellent but ugly.

-Jake

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a couple. Wife's .270 and a 7mm-08 I put together for my daughter.

The boyds stocks are too heavy though. Which is why I'm looking to go lighter.

I think I'll try that one from numrich. I'll post back when I get it.

These rifles have treated us well though and put allot of meat in the freezer.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

-Jake

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1Longbow, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,527
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.