Print Thread
Hop To
J
JayB93 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm new to Mausers and would appreciate some help with identification. This one is chambered in 7x57, has a low profile Timney safety and a Boyds stock. Markings appear to be Belgium. What do I have here?

Attached Images
Mauser view.jpg (31.86 KB, 194 downloads)
Mauser
Mauser safety1.jpg (30.94 KB, 192 downloads)
Mauser Safety1
Mauser safety2.jpg (22.98 KB, 194 downloads)
Mauser Safety Closeup
Mauser markings.jpg (22.48 KB, 195 downloads)
Mauser Markings
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any markings on the left side rail?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
JayB93 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Left side shows a serial number of 16796

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JayB93;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this last Friday of the year is treating you well down in your part of Texas.

From the photos you've shown, it looks like the barrel is a military contour with a military rear sight and as you've noted at least one proof mark is Belgian.

The Timney safety is an older one that works on the right side and is either nickeled or chrome. I want to say they've all been left mounted for at least 20 years now and all that I've seen since then were blued. Might be more than that too, I'm semi-ancient and the memory isn't what it once - or perhaps never was.

The bolt shroud is a military one that's been either polished or might be nickeled or chromed too. That's not uncommon from the '50's and '60's.

If there are any makers marks on it that weren't scrubbed off, the most likely place they'll be is on the top of the receiver under the Pic rail.

Sometimes if its wartime production it'll be just a couple or three letters. I've got the Ludwig Olsen book with which letters meant what factory and it might be online too for that matter.

If there's no proof marks on the left receiver rail and just the serial number, it might mean it's not a German wartime gun as the ones I've worked on usually had waffenampt proof marks on the top and left side of the receiver - at least. Some of the Teutonic proof mark folks did like to use their stamps.

That said, sometimes the actions were really and truly scrubbed of all marks and a factory serial number stamped on after the scrubbing, which I've seen on Austrian and British sporter 98 action rifles - Voere and Churchill come to mind.

Hope that was at least somewhat useful, all the best and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
JayB93 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you Dwayne. Without other info is it worth $500?

Last edited by JayB93; 12/29/23.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Go here: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/help-identifying-venezuelan-mauser-361247.html and scroll down to the 5th image. The markings on your barrel look very similar to the M98 in the link. Might get you started.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JayB93;
Good afternoon or perhaps near evening Texas time already, regardless I still hope the day went well for you.

Since I'm a Canuck, it's tough for me to guess at what firearms go for in other parts of the country, much less cross the medicine line and head down to your part of the world with my guesses.

That said, it looks to me like the Boyd's stock would be $200 new and the last Timney Beuhler type safety I bought up here was $75 by the time shipping and taxes cleared. The action has been drilled, tapped and either bead blasted and coated or blued and the bolt is altered for scope use, so even if one chose to part it out I'd think somewhere between $400 - $500 would be fair.

For me personally, the attraction to building hunting rifles on Mauser actions - 96 and 98 - was they worked in all weather and all conditions.

While I've added aftermarket triggers on most of the one's I've done, being enclosed they become the weakest link or better said more likely to ice up or freeze up than an original trigger, but even then I've hunted in some fairly sporty weather up here and never had a doubt in my mind the rifle would go bang - and feed the rest of the mag smoothly and go bang repeatedly.

They're not the best action for an accuracy rifle or varmint rig, but can of course work up to a point for the latter and somewhat for both.

Anyways sir, since I'm biased towards them, my reply should be taken with that in mind and however many grains or pounds of salt required. grin

All the best and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Insufficient information from the existent photos presented. Appears a typical military mauser conversion of years past reflecting the D&T, bolt handle alteration and Buehler style safety as popular in fifties-seventies era. The rail mount and sporter stock, appearing more recent era further makeover. Frankly, a mixmaster emerged. The Belgian markings appear post WWII proofing with barrel adapted/approved for armor clad or piercing ammo. Anthony Vanderlinden, author of a Primo book on the subject of FN Rifles. I believe plies this Forum and perhaps available to cast more light. But origins bit academic as the rifle of little semblance to "factory".

I liked Dwayne's answer in respect of what I term "virtue in simplicity" pattern 98 mauser best in doing what its done best for over a century! A rugged, all weather/conditions fighting rifle, yet excelling as "proven" ever again since.

Here in SoCal, my assessment of the subject piece as "utility rifle" category value. A question in such altered rifle of how the 7x57 mm chambering confirmed?

Frank assessment here as just my take.

Happy New Year to all!
John

J
JayB93 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you both for the expansive replies Dwayne and John.

I’m out in a deer blind this weekend with my commercial Mauser Musketeer chambered in 243. So things are pretty good in Texas Dwayne. 😀

I was hoping to add another Mauser based rifle to my safe in a larger caliber. Will prob pass on this one.

Are there any references you can point me to so I can research deeper on my own in the future?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Go here: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/help-identifying-venezuelan-mauser-361247.html and scroll down to the 5th image. The markings on your barrel look very similar to the M98 in the link. Might get you started.

Good catch.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JayB93;
Good afternoon once more, I hope the same today for you as before, that the day behaves in an acceptable manner and you're well.

References that I use when attempting to answer threads such as this are as follows.

Even though I understand abebooks.com is now owned by the evil Amazon empire, I'll link to them as I've had very good success dealing with them over the years looking for the strange genre of books that live on my book shelves.

Ludwig Olson's book is the foundation in my view.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/mauser-bolt-rifles/author/ludwig-olson/

While I see there's now a 3rd revision, I've only got the first two by Frank de Haas and again they're fantastic resources.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/bolt-action-rifles/author/de-haas-frank/

Lastly, if you can ever find this one for less than the king's ransom the linked ones seem to be asking, it's got some interesting variations in it that I've never seen in person.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/commercial-mauser-sporting-rifle/author/lester-womack/

Hope that helped and was useful to you or someone out there.

Happy New Year to you and all of our fellow Mauser aficionados.

Dwayne

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,753
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.