Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 27 1 2 25 26 27
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes, it was the Whittington Center, which is northern New Mexico. I got lucky and was able to hunt elk there in 2007, a few years after Craig killed that bull. I hunted with Mike Ballew, the director of the Whittington, and at one point we ended up glassing from the same spot where Craig and Mike had glassed Craig's bull, overlooking a fair-sized canyon. We didn't see anything from there, but Mike pointed out the clearing across the canyon where the bull had stood--and mentioned that Craig said the bull dropped quicker than any other elk he'd ever taken....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been reading Boddington’s stuff since the early 80s and have back issues and books with all the greats. Boddington’s experience seems to dwarf every other writer before or since on pretty much all game. Maybe I am wrong. Early on he was more a magnum guy but while back after he came back to 270 (as SteveO mentioned) and wife and kids came along slaying the lot with light 7mms and 270s he is more middle of the road cartridge guy

As for 6.5 cm I am tending to agree with folks who say bullets are the problem if not happy. I think there are growimg pains. I have read whren 270/7mag came out got some bad reps with some folks (particularly bigger game) because bullets couldn’t handle the velocity. This has been solved with improvements in construction and now I don’t ever really see anybody question them anymore. Seems similar going on with Creedmoor but possibly slightly different reason. Everybody wants to use the highest BC bullet or at least a long range bullet that may work great at extended range but not best choice for “normal” shots. Actually that has been by far most common ammo for 6.5 cm, particularly the less expensive stuff. Since the CM is uber popular we have lot of cheap “regular” ammo coming out - corelokts, power points, etc designed for traditional ranges. Wonder as more people start using this complaints go down

Lou

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't read all this but wonted to bring out that mr. boddington had a whole chapter to the 270 as one of his favorite rounds in his book favorite rifles and cartridges

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Craig could easily do a chapter on the 270. The 270 Winchester is a great round.

I have one, looking to get another.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks Mule Deer! Sometimes I really get on a pity party for myself....especially when I can't remember where I had breakfast this morning. I couldn't locate the story in the few magazines I've saved through the years. I REALLY enjoyed that story.

Glenn Campbell
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might add that after Craig .270'd that elk at the Whittington, he told Chub Eastman (who I knew very well) that now he could go back to hunting elk with bigger rounds. Of course, Chub told me....

But as somebody else mentioned earlier in this thread, one thing that really changed Craig's mind about "smaller" big game cartridges was when his teenage daughter started hunting with him. They eventually settled on the 7mm-08 for her, and on her first African safari she took several of the elk-sized African plains game animals that are supposed to be so hard to kill, with no problems.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the things I like about Boddington is his openness to changing his mind as new experiences give him information to ponder. I remember an article he wrote about that first .270 elk. While I don't think he sold his 8mm, he was honest and reflective about the quick .270 kill. And like all good writers, he articulated his evolving viewpoints in an interesting way.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
270 Winchester, which I love, is a great but not magical caliber. With the exception of heavy bullets in the 30-06 (200g and 220g), the 270 with well constructed bullets will do everything a 30-06 will with less recoil and shoot a little flatter.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Perhaps not…..

Mule deer brought up the lil issue of hunting around big bears 🐻 on another thread.

What’s the heaviest offering in a 270 that would be good to hunt with?

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/30/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Despite what we are sometimes guilty of thing, no cartridge is magic.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mule Deer I've used the .270 for almost sixty two years and have enjoyed very good success except when I messed up on several bum shots. You, O'Connor, Finn Aagard, come to mind telling all to get good shot placement. I've experienced
good placement and not so good on several occasions. That first shot is THE shot that is important. I used Aagard for advice on shot placement to kill my cape buffalo in Zimbabwe with my CZ 550 9.3 x 62. Straight up the front leg into approximately between 1/3 to 1/2 up from the bottom of the chest. He ran forty five of my very long paces and just died in mid stride and never moved again. Took out the top of the heart and blood vessels. Somehow I didn't hear the death moan. My ph said that he did hear it.

Glenn Campbell
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Totally agree. C B is a sportsman. I believe he does not have an agenda other than give his very informed opinion to other sportsmen and rifle enthusiasts. He is a person of integrity and strong advocate for our firearm interests “IMHO”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have nothing against the .270 Winchester. I already have a .223 .243, 6.5CM, 7x57, and a 30-06 to cover most bases. In the late 80’s, an older officer on the same department as me died from cancer. He had some nice firearms that his wife took to our friend who owned a gun store to sell. My brother bought a beautiful older 700BDL in .270 Winchester. It had a Redfield 3-9 scope on it. I witnessed my older brother kill a groundhog at 400+ yards with it and some type (I don’t remember) of 110 grain bullet. I thought “Man, this thing is a laser beam!” He still has the rifle.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more thing. Craig Boddington retired from the United States Marine Corps as I believe a Brigadier General. I respect him for his service to this country!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I’ve followed C B’s writings 40++ years, yes a lot of his opinions have morphed/changed/developed with age as experience (as I believe some of of more senior folks like my self have). I just find it interesting that so many folks get “wrapped around the axel” trying to be 100 💯 right that they will become neurotic's trying to prove themselves (kind of like a bleeding heart liberal) that they can’t handle it. It’s just an opinion. We all have our favorite rifle, cartridge, caliber. It just works for us. I’m like the weather, I bounce around, 30 aught six, 270 win. 308 and 250 Sav and 300 Savage. They have all killed deer and none have ever required a second shot. Which one is best? They all are the best they do the job asked of them reliably.
Just my two cents

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In fact the last "deer" I took with a 6.5 was a big cow elk 10 days ago, which weighed around 350 field-dressed. The cartridge was the 6.5 PRC and the bullet the 127-grain Barnes LRX, started at a little over 3000 fps. The cow was quartering strongly to me at around 200 yards. At the shot she dropped and never moved, because the bullet entered the chest just inside the near shoulder, clipped the bottom of the spine and ended up somewhere in the innards beyond.

I had plenty of confidence in that load because have used it before on somewhat smaller deer--and Eileen used a 130-grain TTSX from her custom .308 Winchester to drop another big cow at 250 yards a few years ago, also quartering toward us, and that bullet was loaded to 2850 fps to reduce recoil.

Might also mention something Finn Aagaard wrote years ago in an article titled "Guns of the Settlers," about his first several decades of hunting in Kenya. He started keeping a hunting journal in 1956, and after many years came to the conclusion that the specific big game cartridge didn't matter all that much, because blue wildebeest (supposedly one of the toughest of plains game) ran about as far after being shot through the lungs with any cartridge from the smaller 6.5mms to the .375 H&H. His last sentence reads: “Even today, as it always has been, it is not the rifle or its cartridge that matters so much, but rather the skill and knowledge of the rifleman-hunter who is using it.”

Congrats on the elk, John!

What's interesting to me is that smart guys with tons of experience like John Barsness and Craig Boddington Craig B on the 6.8 Western are playing with the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western when they want to do what the .270 does and also take advantage of some of the "modern" cartridge developments. They both obviously, dig the .270 but, it's not an "either-or" situation. I don't have a .270 and never have (except briefly before it was turned into a 7PRC). But, if I wanted to fill this niche, I'b be looking at the 6.5PRC or the 6.8 Western.

Long thread but, I enjoyed reading all the posts. Thanks, guys!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Page 27 of 27 1 2 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (264mag, 673, 44automag, 7mm_Loco, AB2506, 450yukon, 17 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,881
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.