Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Browning 1885 Hi Wall - Tang Sight

I am posting this in Single Shots and BPCR.

I have an 1885 Hi-Wall .45-70 manufatured in 1996 that I would like to put a tang sight on. It is the Browning model and there isn't a visible tang to mount it to.

One of my sons, a nephew and a second cousin all fancy trying to become a Quigley so I thought I would fix mine up.

I find they make models for it but I am not sure which one to get. I do want one with adjustable windage. I would hope I can find something appropriate for use to 500 meters with 405 grain bullets.

I have had this type of sights on a 94 Winchester, 1899 Savage .250-3000 and a Savage 99R in .300 Savage, I am quite fond of them.

I really don't want the expense of a vernier sight so this style will have to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
From your description, it doesn't appear the that this Browning is the BPCR model with a long tang, which lends itself to mounting a tang sight. I don't know how one could mount a tang sight on a rifle with no visible tang. I have seen rifles with the sight screwed into the wood. Ouch!

It might be possible to mount a sight on the rear receiver, but any sort of "peep" sight would require a tall front sight. The BPCR receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope base. Not sure about other Browning models.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I guess I'm not understanding. In all reality it looks like the Browning has a top tang with screws! Therefore mount a tang sight properly without destroying the gun. Correct me if I'm not understanding it here. I just wouldn't rig something up half way to save a few $$. IMO!

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
I guess I'm not understanding. In all reality it looks like the Browning has a top tang with screws! Therefore mount a tang sight properly without destroying the gun. Correct me if I'm not understanding it here. I just wouldn't rig something up half way to save a few $$. IMO!

HS 58

Browning makes at least two different 1885 Browning actions. Mine has no tang. Some models like the BPCR's have a conventional tang. Installing atang sight on these is no problem.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
You don't have much option for a tang sight with your "tangless" Browning without major alterations. There was a discussion on here some years back about adding a tang. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...tang-sight-on-1885-browning-without-tang
Other sights that come to mind would be a Lyman #41 off an 1885 Winder musket (D&T receiver) or a Buffington sight from an 1884 Trapdoor (modify the sight base to fit barrel).
If it were me, I'd go with a ladder sight in your rear barrel dovetail or a different rifle.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

HS 58

Browning makes at least two different 1885 Browning actions. Mine has no tang. Some models like the BPCR's have a conventional tang. Installing atang sight on these is no problem.

Not trying to be difficult but I find that a little Crazy.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
It’s what happens when the Japanese redesign a classic

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tmitch
It’s what happens when the Japanese redesign a classic

Understandable though when you consider that 95% of buyers automatically think in terms of scopes rather than tang sights.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m thinking just maybe Browning had some input, seeing as how they were paying the bills.

Multiple versions for multiple purposes. Anyone remember the ad with the cowboy pulling a scoped High Wall, B78 or 1885 I can’t recall, out of the saddle scabbard? Fine rifles in all versions.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like my Browning BPCR in 45-90. Tang sights level on front sight. I had the trigger worked on and it breaks crisply at just under 3 lb.
I don’t think anyone who would see it would diss the Japanese 1885 Browning BPCR.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,556
Posts18,473,040
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.