Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Iclimb
Burris Fullfield II in the $200 price range (and from everything I've read, they are better than many scopes costing hundreds more - Burris did a great job with that scope)
Trijicon Accupoint in the $600 price range

I'm thankful for those two good options considering all the lousy scopes sold today and in the past.

Looked on the Burris website and it shows the Fullfield ii, the entire line, as “discontinued”
Thinking the Droptine could have replaced it. Maybe the FF IV is supposed to be the replacement, no idea.

Burris is still selling Fullfield II scopes on Amazon as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Edited to add: Neither the Droptine nor the Communist China Fullfield IV truly replace the Fullfield II.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 12/29/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Burris Fullfield II in the $200 price range (and from everything I've read, they are better than many scopes costing hundreds more - Burris did a great job with that scope)
Trijicon Accupoint in the $600 price range

I'm thankful for those two good options considering all the lousy scopes sold today and in the past.

Looked on the Burris website and it shows the Fullfield ii, the entire line, as “discontinued”
Thinking the Droptine could have replaced it. Maybe the FF IV is supposed to be the replacement, no idea.

Burris is still selling Fullfield II scopes on Amazon as I mentioned earlier in this thread.
Correct.

Still some for sale but still discontinued. When they're gone they're gone.

Tried 1, didn't need another.

Sold it here with full disclaimer as to its issues.

Turn power ring and focus adjustment turned with it. Turn focus and power ring turned with it.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have recently bought a few 3-15 power scopes, like them better than my old 3-9s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. Honestly I’ve seen over a dozen failures from their middle of the road offerings to the top of the line (at the time).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Region6
I have recently bought a few 3-15 power scopes, like them better than my old 3-9s.

The word on the street is that there is a 3-9 hiding inside all the 3-15s.

Just Sayin.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's plenty of great lower powered smaller options out there. Fact is there's much better optics available now than an decade or two ago. There's wonderful LPVO optics out there in abundance that have high and low profile turrents and reticle options for everyone. We're in an golden age of optics where we have lots of options and even some of the Chi-com stuff is really good. Price points are all over the place and there's literally something for everyone if you look. I'm thankful the days where Fudd optics were the only option are a thing of the past. Today there's soemthing for everyone.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m getting frustrated by the lack of “Traditional” hunting scopes out there and the lack of power ranges 1x-5x
Leupold I’m looking at you! Does everything have to have a monster tube and a turret on top of it? Also you bumped out all the fantastic middle ground offerings. Everything is close to $1k because it has HD on it! How about running some a line of hunting scopes in that vx3 range? Even if it was only every so often?

Other brands too, vortex had it nailed with the razor hd lh line that they quickly made tacticool…now it’s like everything else…

I want simple optic for some DG calibers and just cannot find a simple scope like the good ol m8 of Vari -x iii

FRUSTRATION RANT

HOPE THEY READ IT!

Within the last year I picked up a couple of Sightron SI 1.75-5's. Trim little 1" scopes that fit well and dont look out of place on old school levers and woods rifles.

Carried one around some this fall on a 7600 carbine 35 Whelen that I use for tracking; the short, light Whelen has made one scope go wonky.

Overall, I've had great luck with many different Kenko sourced scopes. While all of my previous experiences with them have been with Japanese variants, the SI scopes in reference are built in the Philippines. Not sure what mechanical differences exist between scopes from different manufacturing facilities, but what I can report so far is that the little SI's adjusted as they should and are holding zero.

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This article pretty much sums up the problem….
Sad!
https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-rifle-scopes-for-deer-hunting/

Leupold failure claim is not bs! That is only a couple from me personally but I’ve got several friends that I’ve dealt with these are first hand accounts! Honestly the failures come from dialing Leupold scopes! My friend missed a 115” Coues in AZ when his trusty mark 4 failed. My exact words to him as he pulled out of my driveway headed out were “have you ever had any problems with this scope?” Him: “nope! It’s been to hell and back and has always worked.” He was pissed when he returned home!

I’ll look at that sightron offering! I’ve been liking the SWFA ultralight too! Swaro sheep hunter is a go to… I’m setting up some dg rifles and the lack of 20mm lvpo offerings is glaring! Leupold has totally cut out the midrange priced options!

Last edited by Iclimb; 12/30/23.

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow - they managed to get a lot of different brands onto the list they published.

Although they mentioned assessing each scope for how well it tracks, I didn't see any data provided from those tests.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This article pretty much sums up the problem….
Sad!
https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-rifle-scopes-for-deer-hunting/

Leupold failure claim is not bs! That is only a couple from me personally but I’ve got several friends that I’ve dealt with these are first hand accounts! Honestly the failures come from dialing Leupold scopes! My friend missed a 115” Coues in AZ when his trusty mark 4 failed. My exact words to him as he pulled out of my driveway headed out were “have you ever had any problems with this scope?” Him: “nope! It’s been to hell and back and has always worked.” He was pissed when he returned home!

I’ll look at that sightron offering! I’ve been liking the SWFA ultralight too! Swaro sheep hunter is a go to… I’m setting up some dg rifles and the lack of 20mm lvpo offerings is glaring! Leupold has totally cut out the midrange priced options!

??

Leupold is the best all around scope. Did you even read the article?

So your buddy missed a deer and determined it was the fault of a scope that had a flawless track record? Seems less than legit.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m setting up some dg rifles and the lack of 20mm lvpo offerings is glaring! Leupold has totally cut out the midrange priced options!

"Dangerous game" rifles and "midrange" optics don't belong together, at least for me personally.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like this comes up every couple of months . Lack of low power scopes in decent price range meant for hunting rifles.
Agree that majority, if not close to all, is a small telescopes or AR style scopes.
I’ve tried to plead this case to John at tract optics and he also said , long range game is where $ it’s at.
even the Athlon rep on their thread here avoided the question….twice!

Last edited by Dre; 12/30/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I killed six deer this season. Five of the six inside 100 yards and four inside 50. I need a high magnification, 20+ oz. 30 mm scope with miltiple aiming point reticle like I need another hole in my head. Not many hunters left these days I guess. Lotta shooters.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tract offers the Toric 2-10x42 and introduced the Response 2.5-10x42 with T-Plex reticles. As much as I would like a Toric 6x42 with a T-Plex reticle, considering the marketing focus on long range shooting, I am grateful to have these two hunting scopes available and have a couple of extra Torics just in case they cease production.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
There's plenty of great lower powered smaller options out there. Fact is there's much better optics available now than an decade or two ago. There's wonderful LPVO optics out there in abundance that have high and low profile turrents and reticle options for everyone. We're in an golden age of optics where we have lots of options and even some of the Chi-com stuff is really good. Price points are all over the place and there's literally something for everyone if you look. I'm thankful the days where Fudd optics were the only option are a thing of the past. Today there's soemthing for everyone.

You summed it up pretty well. Just picked up an E1 3-9x50 cheap as a spare. I see lots of classic used for sale as well if
I want to go “period correct” or just slim and trim. Don’t have any of the Gen2 S1 Sightrons yet, but the specs look pretty good, more clicks available than most 1” scopes.

The 30mm LPVOs aren’t too big, and the views are impressive.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Different people, in different places, where the hunting styles/methods are different require different equipment. A lot of people seem to forget that not everyone hunts the same way that they do. IOW, the gear that may be optimally suited to you and your way of hunting might be a very poor choice for someone hunting in a very different environment.

Anything larger, physically, and with more magnification than a 2-7x32/33 would seem out of place on a rifle used for still-hunting or tracking in tight cover. My friends in northern New England who track their deer swear by scopes with no more than 2x, with several favoring the old Weaver K1.5s with a post and crosshair reticle. I have older Leupold 1.5-5x20 scopes on my dedicated still-hunting deer rifles, a Ruger 44 International and 3 different Winchester 100s, and a 2-7x33 on my Remington 760 black timber elk rifle. All of those Leupolds were returned to the factory to have the heavy duplex reticle installed back when Leupold offered that service for a nominal fee.

In contrast, my wife's cousins who live/hunt on the plains of eastern Colorado prefer scopes in the 6-24x42 range, as their shots commonly present at much greater distances. They occasionally jump a deer that was bedded in an over grown swale, but they let the deer run off and stop to look back before they decide whether to shoot it or not.

It seems that in a lot of places deer hunting has morphed into deer shooting, often by people who think that they were endowed by their creator with the shooting skills of a Chris Kyle. Few of them were so endowed and fewer still spend the time and money to develop their shooting skills to a level anywhere near that of a Chris Kyle.

Or so it seems to me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

You summed it up pretty well. Just picked up an E1 3-9x50 cheap as a spare. I see lots of classic used for sale as well if
I want to go “period correct” or just slim and trim. Don’t have any of the Gen2 S1 Sightrons yet, but the specs look pretty good, more clicks available than most 1” scopes.

You gotta be shyttin me. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You gotta be shyttin me. Golden age of hunting scopes my ass. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.
Pretty close replacement here. Wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

https://www.bushnell.com/scopes/sho...24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another I have been impressed with for the $$.

Chink made so will turn many off, and I am not real fond of that but so are so many other items that some regard as top tier.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

You gotta be shyttin me. Golden age of hunting scopes my ass. We lost the entire Nikon line, which included many light, trim, 1" scopes in the 1-4, 2-7 and 3-9 power range with simple Nikoplex reticles. I have a couple of the 2-7x32's and love em. Bright, clear, light, compact. We also lost the entire Weaver line which included the Japanese manufactured 1-3x20, 2.5-7x32, 3-9x38, 2-10x38, 2.5x20, 4x32 and 6x38 all with simple duplex reticles. I have several and they're also good hunting scopes with the same attributes, bright, clear, light, compact. I don't see anything out there that comes remotely close to replacing those scopes. The bulbous, over weight and unfortunately extremely numerous 30mm LPVO's don't come close to being a suitable replacement.
Pretty close replacement here. Wouldn't mind getting a couple more.

https://www.bushnell.com/scopes/sho...24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html
I guess if you consider a 15.5 oz. scope "pretty close" to a trim 8-10 oz. scope. I don't, and I've had more South Korean made Bushnells crap out on me than any other. A big no thanks. I won't go near those things anymore.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.