Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Toyota 22R with a Weber carb.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
mtcurman;
Good evening to you sir, it's been too long since I've said hello, I hope life and time have been good to you.

Our neighborhood seems to have an overabundance of Cummins folks and one thing they 12 valve guys mention is replacing the killer dowel pin.

Here's a kit from a US diesel shop for reference, but to be clear I've not dealt with them, though the kit looks similar to a BC shop that sell something similar.

https://powerdrivendiesel.com/product/pdd-89-02-cummins-killer-dowel-pin-repair-kit-bundle/

All the best to you and yours mtcurman and Happy New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 1971 VW van is half the way there. It is easy to work on.
On the other hand, after you rebuild the engine, you will get 5,000 miles and the engine will blow again.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
as mentioned a late 90 s Dodge with 12 valve cummins

I think the killer dowel pin , while a possible problem , is overblown , lots of them running around have never had that issue touched

my brother has a Case tractor with a 12 valve , 18000 hours and the KDP never messed with

I

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Scan tools make em all pretty easy. Biggest PITA is usually access.

Big hands, small places.

GFs boy just bought a nice truck. 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4. Ext-cab and the full size 8ft box. Very minor rust just starting in the wheel wells. 63,000 miles on it with a mint interior to match the 63k. Brand new tires. Snagged it for 6k.Should be easy enough to work on.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal

Big hands, small places.

GFs boy just bought a nice truck. 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4. Ext-cab and the full size 8ft box. Very minor rust just starting in the wheel wells. 63,000 miles on it with a mint interior to match the 63k. Brand new tires. Snagged it for 6k.Should be easy enough to work on.
Scan tools aren't always the answer. I recently had my 2016 Chevy Colorado steering column start messing up and the only place that could fix it was the dealer. The local guys that are reliable for me on almost everything said that it takes some sort of special programming once you replace the column. That's some B.S. right there!

Teal, I would love to find a deal like your daughter's boyfriend did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Teal

Big hands, small places.

Scan tools aren't always the answer. I recently had my 2016 Chevy Colorado steering column start messing up and the only place that could fix it was the dealer. The local guys that are reliable for me on almost everything said that it takes some sort of special programming once you replace the column. That's some B.S. right there!

Teal, I would love to find a deal like your daughter's boyfriend did.

Yeah, it's not 100% when it comes to working on things but majority I'd say.

That truck is my Girlfriend's son. He's a marketplace fiend - always wheeling and dealing. The 8 food bed is damned nice TBH.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The "Jeep" thread got me thinking about what vehicles are reliable and something that a guy with decent mechanical skills can still work on and keep running.
I'm thinking maybe late 80's K5 Blazers with 305 or 350 engines would be good candidates.

The TBI small blocks made up to 1987 are pretty easy to work on. They don't run nearly as well as the Vortec V-8, but I never had a GM V-8 made after 1987 that didn't give me problems of some kind...usually leaking gaskets. And the transmissions were trash as well.

I got rid of the last GM vehicle I'll ever own a couple of years ago---unless a good deal on a really nice square body 4x4 pickup lands in my lap at an opportune time.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
My 97 2 door Z71 Tahoe can be worked on. Good thing cause as old as it is it needs to be worked on lol.

With that said, older cars and trucks can be worked on but the quality of parts is an issue. Autozone knows me by name based on AC compressors. Good thing they have lifetime Warrenty, I think I’m on number 4 AC compressor in about 12 years. Was a hunting truck and only has 14k miles put on it in those 12 years.

I’d bet most of the General Motors cars and trucks can be worked on and are reliable. Same for Dodge Ram trucks. I know when we had Ford Taurus company cars most shops said Ford Taurus was made to be driven 100k miles and thrown away.

I had no telling how many Chevy Company cars, Impalas etc. I bet I had at least 10 new Chevy’s. I changed the oil and tires, that’s about it. I don’t recall a one of them being put in the shop to get fixed. We put about 70k on them and got a new one. A lot of the guys would buy them for wives and kids, they did fine. Same for the Cadillac’s my wife drives. I’d guess she’s had 4 over the last 10-12 years. I can’t recall any of them going in the shop.

Thanks, Billy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I miss my 77 Chevy truck with 3 speed and inline 6. Was very easy to work on and you could actually see and reach every bolt on it.
Exactly....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it was reliable, you wouldn't have to work on it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A YT guy - Car Wizard , keeps track of easy to work on and low maintenance vehicles. His top pick is any GM car or small SUV w/a V-6 3800 engine which came in many mid- 80' to mid-2000 model years Buicks/pontiacs/oldsmobiles/Chevrolet/etc. . Old Fogy cars.

He claims to have worked on and maintained many of them that have surpassed 300,000 miles that still run great. + 28-30 MPG highway and ride great if the shocks and such aren't worn out.
He's buying a few of them he thinks in 10-15 years cars like them will be in high demand.

Trucks - older GMC/Chevrolets are his pick.

A toyotas with 4cyl. engines - but they can't be bought cheap like the GM 3800 cars can .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GringoCazador
My 97 2 door Z71 Tahoe can be worked on. Good thing cause as old as it is it needs to be worked on lol.

With that said, older cars and trucks can be worked on but the quality of parts is an issue. Autozone knows me by name based on AC compressors. Good thing they have lifetime Warrenty, I think I’m on number 4 AC compressor in about 12 years. Was a hunting truck and only has 14k miles put on it in those 12 years.

I’d bet most of the General Motors cars and trucks can be worked on and are reliable. Same for Dodge Ram trucks. I know when we had Ford Taurus company cars most shops said Ford Taurus was made to be driven 100k miles and thrown away.

I had no telling how many Chevy Company cars, Impalas etc. I bet I had at least 10 new Chevy’s. I changed the oil and tires, that’s about it. I don’t recall a one of them being put in the shop to get fixed. We put about 70k on them and got a new one. A lot of the guys would buy them for wives and kids, they did fine. Same for the Cadillac’s my wife drives. I’d guess she’s had 4 over the last 10-12 years. I can’t recall any of them going in the shop.
Four over the past 10 to 12 years? You shouldn't have had any one of them in the shop!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Who wants to work on vehicles?

Not I.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I buy Toyota and Honda products these days. There's not much work to do to them. The Honda products (Acura) needs some work once in a great while. My old Toyota Camry (2011, 6th generation) has been the proverbial stone ax since I bought it a decade ago. I've been driving it 10 years for the cost of fuel, oil changes, tires, brakes, and one brake caliper that went bad.

I have no plans to replace it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stix
4.0L jeeps
one of the easiest vehicles I've ever worked on.

My 2003 F150 was pretty easy too

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Stix
4.0L jeeps
one of the easiest vehicles I've ever worked on.

My 2003 F150 was pretty easy too

My 2005 F150 is about as old school as any vehicle made in modern times. V6 stick shift, 2WD,... motor in the front, differential in the back. You can actually lift the hood and see the motor.

I bought some fat, studded snow tires a while ago to use on it in the winter,...along with 700 lbs of sand bags to stack in the bed over the rear axel. The tires are made in Finland.

A pair of fat, studded snow tires out of Finland along with 700 lbs of ballast over the rear axes will turn a 2WD F150 into quite a bad weather machine. Ice, snow,..let's go.

My Dad taught me that back 55+ years ago. We had a '56 GMC short bed, step side pick-up. He was a mason so there was always a bunch of concrete blocks stacked here and there around the house.

Every time there was a big snow he'd stack concrete blocks in the bed of the truck, put the studded snow tires on, and we'd go out for a drive.

I remember being out on the road riding along with him in the dead of night in that old GMC,....the cab warm from the heater,..10" of snow on the roads,...a bottle of his nerve medicine in the glove box,....not another car on the road and he'd be looking for a hill to go up to test his set up.

Me barely able to see over the dash,....Jim Reeves playing on the radio,...

~~~I'll tell the man to turn the jukebox way down low,
and you can tell your friend there with you, he'll have to go~~~

The old man singing along with him. He could sing dead on Jim Reeves.

Good times,......very good times,...like to live them again.

Snow driving music with the old man from the early 60s.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have two bags of concrete mix over the axle in my truck now. And its 4wd

old habits

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have two bags of concrete mix over the axle in my truck now. And its 4wd

old habits

I'm setting mine up in a day or two.

,....gotta get the wife to work.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
GM 292 in line 6

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.