Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MedRiver
It is amazing what family and "friends" are comfortable doing with a dead guy's stuff.

When my dad passed the majority of his friends and all of his family knew that I knew what he had, what it was worth, and intended to split it between my sister and myself.

Like others have said, a few "snakes in the grass" tried to take advantage of what they thought the situation would be when dad passed but I just told them nothing was for sale and left it at that.

I can see how it's easy for some person a spouse or child sees as "Dad's Friend" to come in a completely rip them off.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
There are certainly worse things to leave your family then a pile of highly valuable firearms.

You would be the type to leave others your problems.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ever since Obama was elected I have been accumulating firearms. I’m in my mid-seventies, can’t find a hunting club that is accepting members. I am well equipped to take on the dangerous game on any continent, but can’t seem to get the stars to align and make that happen. We do have lots of state land to hunt on, so I guess that’s the route I’ll take. Realistically, all I need to hunt anything in the South is a 22LR rifle, a 30-30 rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. Instead I have 50 long guns of various calibers and gauges and approximately 25 handguns. My current plan is to begin liquidating the guns that aren’t necessary at the moment, since I can always buy a new gun for any hunts outside the United States that may become possible. Thanks to all of you for your insights on how to protect my family from the unnecessary task of getting rid of my firearms.

Last edited by nalabama; 12/30/23.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Luckily I’m in my prime. I did sell a rifle yesterday but it was more of a long term loan to a friend who can only sell it back to me.

Last edited by kaboku68; 12/30/23.
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
After dealing with my father’s stuff, my plan is for my estate to consist of a hospital gown and a debit card. I owe that to whoever I leave behind.

Okie John[/quote]

Wisdom for the ages right there. Good post.

Edited: When documenting gun info, the price you paid might be an item best left out. It has no relevance to current market value and could possibly be used in ways you’d not prefer.

Last edited by WMR; 12/31/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to run the firearms division at a major auction house. There are pros and cons of selling through auction. There are plenty of success stories for high realized prices, which get reported. There are many (MANY) examples where less-than-hoped-for prices were reached, leaving owners of small collections literally in tears.

Too many details to share, but I left the business as it tore me up seeing a consignor over-promised and under-delivered.
Overall, auction houses work hard to do things right, but they also will do nearly anything to maximize profit. They don't really care what the spelling price is, as long as it sells where they make the buyer's and seller's commission. They hate high protective reserves. The worst thing is an item with a high protective reserve that doesn't sell. I've seen too many "smiling strong arm" negotiations with potential clients to get reserves lowered or removed ( to increase likelihood of a commission-rich sale, 25-30+%) that were out of my control. That was overall why I resigned from the business.

I will suggest people to at least start paring down their collections themselves. It takes longer, but if you ask reasonable prices, you will net more money. Start now. Do not hold out for top dollar. Tell the truth, and treat people the way you would want to be treated in all transactions. Reputations take decades to build, and a minute to bust. Do it right, but start the selling process now if you are considering paring down your collection.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
buttstock,

Excellent post!

That's why I started selling my collection a couple years ago, while beginning the "retirement process."

It very much depends on whether you actually want to sell the firearm--or hope for somebody to take your top-dollar asking price.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started selling and giving stuff away a few years back so my kids won't have to deal with it like I did with my father's estate. Even though he made a pretty good job of paring down his guns well before he left this mortal coil.
I know which guns my son wants me to keep as well as which loading tools
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've heard it said, "Don't ever fall in luv' with your rifles".

I have no trouble getting rifles to follow me home. Its sending them down the road that is my problem.

Seems every time I think about selling one, by time I take the pix and fondle said rifle while prepping to sell, I put them back up.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/31/23.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Luckily I’m in my prime. I did sell a rifle yesterday but it was more of a long term loan to a friend who can only sell it back to me.

Have done a few of those. In fact bought one back this year, after the friend had used it for around a decade--an Ultra Light Arms .270 Winchester....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of good info here. Owning a gun auction company I can tell you the fastest way to get the most is auction.

Collector guns typically always bring a premium these days. Now run on the mill stuff will be on the cheap side but when you buy a Savage 110 or Mossberg 500 you can’t expect to get much more out of it kinda like a Marlin mod 60 which millions where made.

Now if you don’t sell them before you go make a spreadsheet of the guns with info and a realistic value so your family has some idea. That way whatever they decide to do with them they don’t get cheated. I see it all the time the “buddies” come in and buy the stuff for nothing because the family doesn’t know. There is a special place in hell for these kind of “buddies”.

Also be sure to tell them when you pass to do something in a timely manner I see all the time where they hold onto them for years and they do not get proper care and the guns are worth a lot less due to rust and the condition of them.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
another concern i have....with politics and politicians do I need to sell while i still can as a private party. Little by little our private rights to buy/sell....and ship...firearms are being encroached upon, or at the very least becoming more expensive with fees and mandatory taxes and shipping restrictions. Might need to sell while we still can.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sell them yourself, left hand rifles can be tough to sell, but you have some exceptional examples that will sell. I started selling mine off some years ago as my vision got worse and I stopped hunting with a rifle.

It gets more difficult in tougher economic times to get a decent price. The shipping and fees on both ends will not get better. Consignments don't seem to work well unless it's a high end shop in a metropolitan area, and there's always a possibility of damage to fine walnut stocks etc.

I'm not too optimistic about the not too distant future for individual gun sales.

Good luck...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cotis
If you wait until you are dead, you are leaving your spouse with a royal pain in the ass. I would have an auction house or reputable online seller on speed dial for her with all info of every firearm documented in nauseating detail.

Being left handed rifles makes it that much harder to sell

Bullseye

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I'd like to hear about the LH Model 10.

Me too!

Me 3.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by geedubya

I have no trouble getting rifles to follow me home. Its sending them down the road that is my problem.

Seems every time I think about selling one, by time I take the pix and fondle said rifle while prepping to sell, I put them back up.

Ya!

GWB
A friend of mine’s dad used to say “Don’t ever fall in love with something that doesn’t love you back”. Pretty sure rifles fall into that category.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I'd like to hear about the LH Model 10.

It’s got a LH Cheekpiece XXX English Walnut stock- color cased receiver -.257 Roberts
Oh my....

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by geedubya

Ya!

GWB
I suffer from the same ailment Geedubya. I feel your pain.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
There are certainly worse things to leave your family then a pile of highly valuable firearms.

You would be the type to leave others your problems.

Lets see... if your wife makes the money and you spend it on guns, then sell them early and give her the money
If your wife and you both work, then sell half the gun collection and give her the money
If you work for and pay for your guns, keep them until you die and the wife should feel lucky that you were such a good provider.
I simply can't understand this attitude that heirs will be burdened with such a windfall.....
Now our society has turned the majority of men into cucks/beta males and they feel obligated to put the "wife" on a pedestal.
I am always amazed here when I read guys saying my "dear wife has put up with me for all these years".... do these men sit at home all day, and are they parasites?
Why would a "man" ever think he is a burden? men build this country, our communities, our families etc.... and "men" maintain and run said infrastructure.
I know the feminist are busy trying to convince all men they are of low value, don't fall for it!!!!
Embrace your toxic masculinity, embrace your guns and embrace that you are the builder and provider!
Now if you are a Biden voting parasite, suck start a Glock and make the world a better place!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The heartache comes when our wives sell our guns for what we told them we paid for them.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,537
Posts18,491,415
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.