Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I think that it was Kaywoodie who recommended the book “Born Fighting; How the Scots-Irish Shaped America” by Jim Webb.

I’m half way through the book and it’s well worth the read. If you are from Scots-Irish stock, enjoy the history of our national development or simply want to be encouraged by a mentality that will not bend this book is for you.

If you have these roots but find that you have culturally been taught to sit down when you pizz this book may start you on the journey back to manhood.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by IZH27
I think that it was Kaywoodie who recommended the book “Born Fighting; How the Scots-Irish Shaped America” by Jim Webb.

I’m half way through the book and it’s well worth the read. If you are from Scots-Irish stock, enjoy the history of our national development or simply want to be encouraged by a mentality that will not bend this book is for you.

If you have these roots but find that you have culturally been taught to sit down when you pizz this book may start you on the journey back to manhood.

A group singled out & discriminated against as most. Thinking the nation owes us reparations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only reparations I need is 8# of H322

GOA
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
Those Irish will vote for Us for the Next Two Hundred Years ..

Correct Me if I’m Wrong about LBJ ..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akrange

I believe that's the Norwegian-Irish.

IC B2

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by gunzo

A group singled out & discriminated against as most. Thinking the nation owes us reparations.

The book has nothing at all to do with that kind of thinking.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
You guys must be sitters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

A common error among Americans to put Irish and Scots-Irish in the same category. Oil and water. Papist and Prod. Harp vs. Union Jack.

For a book on the Scots-Irish before they were planted in Ulster I highly recommend The Steel Bonnets: The Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers by George McDonald Fraser. Born fighting? Heck their sperms were prob’ly fighting on the trip to the uterus.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

I believe that's the Norwegian-Irish.

LOL. Damn Norwegians. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

A common error among Americans to put Irish and Scots-Irish in the same category. Oil and water. Papist and Prod. Harp vs. Union Jack.

For a book on the Scots-Irish before they were planted in Ulster I highly recommend The Steel Bonnets: The Story of the Anglo-Scottish Border Reivers by George McDonald Fraser. Born fighting? Heck their sperms were prob’ly fighting on the trip to the uterus.

And then there are the border Irish.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Nope, not at all. I read this book years ago and it’s a great read. It’s all about the stubborn determination of a group of people who came from nothing and helped build a nation.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
funny part is when they asked me about blood pressure issues if I got the fight or flight instinct.. that didn't have to ask me very long which one I had they checked the box. . peoples nowadays are so [bleep] stupid.. my granddaughter gets a hint for me at least the two oldest ones I do not take nor put up with much BS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well, all I have to go on is from family searches that go back to before the Mayflower. A Scotsman married an Irish or vice versa. They sailed her & had kids.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Nope, not at all. I read this book years ago and it’s a great read. It’s all about the stubborn determination of a group of people who came from nothing and helped build a nation.

That's good to know as my Scotts/Irish forefathers came here pre 1776. My family tree should have me rich & famous, But this clan slipped away some how.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Finally finished the book. It seems that slow reads are more my way lately.

I highly recommend this book. Mr Webb goes a long way into describing the common thread of this great nation, that which makes us what we are at heart.

There is encouragement to be found in what he writes, even in days that seem to be a bit darker than those past.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
One would think that our Scots-Irish roots would motivate us to get off our azz and stop the destruction of our Nation.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Sounds interesting, thanks for the recommendation.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
One would think that our Scots-Irish roots would motivate us to get off our azz and stop the destruction of our Nation.

Agreed. I can’t do justice to what he brings out in the book. It’s pretty much bred into us to persevere but live on the margins independently and defiantly. That is both a blessing and a curse. However, that mentality is that which is the common thread.

He unpacks the message well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lowland Scot in the 1400s
Ireland, sometime afterwards
South Carolina, 1763
Middle Tennessee, 1820

I have a Revolutionary War officer as an ancestor buried in a little churchyard in South Carolina- - - -may, or may not have been at the battle of King's Mountain- - - -Confederate cousins who walked 40 miles from Dickson Tennessee to Nashville to enlist in the Army of Tennessee- - - -an uncle who swam through burning oil to Omaha Beach- - - -father flew B-17s. I'm a Southeast Asia vet. Grandson was combat wounded and PTSD problems from the sandbox- - - -still works 6 days a week or more. Yep, we're scrappers, and proud of it!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Former Secretary of the Navy, Jim Webb?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 58 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.