Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Want the largest buyer audience? Don’t require MO.

Want fewer prospective buyers but less perceived hassle on your end? Require MO.

But you know all this; seller sets the rules.

Agreed

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hear 1983 calling.

Exactly. In this day of electronic banking checks clear within 24 hours. If I had concerns about someone's check, I wouldn't take it.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Worrying about the worst case scenario is what keeps the Campfire burning.

The simple fact is that a USPS money order can be checked immediately at the bank to qualify that it is real and not counterfeit. If it is too big of a problem to get one, but expect the seller to wait for a week to see if a private check clears, it is more of an inconvenience to the seller than the MO is to get.

USPS money orders are good and easy to verify without waiting a day or a week…

This is it, precisely.

Additionally, they can be cashed at a post office, in smaller amounts, sometimes.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm in for 5 pages.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer USPS money orders when selling, because I will ship the day I get them. I'll take a personal check, but it might be a day or two or five before I get it to the bank and then wait for it to clear. Throw in a weekend and that can all add up several days, maybe a week, so it's up to the seller how big a hurry he is in to get the item I'm selling. It's the same to me either way.

Sellers set the rules of the sale.

If the buyer doesn't like the rules, he doesn't have to buy.

Simple.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep. Seller sets the rules.

Just know that I can send something electronically in 30 seconds.

I can write a check and put it outside in about 3 minutes.

Or I can drive to the post office, wait in line, be reminded how I’d rather have a root canal without anesthesia; in about 30 minutes.

Not much I want that badly anymore - maybe a stainless ks in 06 or a $2000 nula. smile

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fastleo16: Money orders from the United States Postal Service is ALL I use when dealing through the mails - buying or selling.
PERIOD.
Hard to scam those.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fastleo16
Why do some people insist on receiving payment via USPS money order? I don’t understand why receiving a personal check and waiting until it clears is risky to the seller. What am I missing? I use personal checks for payment frequently and receive them frequently without issue. Why pay the government to be a middleman?
If the personal check is deposited by the seller and there are insufficient funds to pay it then the seller will receive a fee for accepting a “bad” check from their financial institution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. Seller sets the rules.

Just know that I can send something electronically in 30 seconds.

I can write a check and put it outside in about 3 minutes.

Or I can drive to the post office, wait in line, be reminded how I’d rather have a root canal without anesthesia; in about 30 minutes.

Not much I want that badly anymore - maybe a stainless ks in 06 or a $2000 nula. smile

Agree…I’m really fine with whatever. I live in a small rural area and the post office has odd hours. I normally have to take off work just to get MO. I have also had them lost and had to send another payment while I wait for the PO to make it right. I send MO’s by UPS or certified mail now, even though it cost more.

Seller sets the rules…bottom line. The difference now for me is, if I don’t have time with work/life to mess with a MO I just move on and skip it. No big deal. I’m fine with waiting on the check also or electronic payment is always golden.

Last edited by 257Bobs; 12/30/23.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Agree with 99guy, but do think do think a lot of members will accept a personal check from a well known member or someone they’ve dealt with before.

The seller has a right to ask for the payment type they want. If you don’t like it you can ask if they will take something else but they don’t have to.

I just passed on a NF scope because the seller would only take PayPal as payment. I don’t use PayPal and asked if he would actually take a MO, or I could send with Venmo, but he said no, so I moved on and bought one elsewhere.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
They are more complicated on both ends

Only can be purchased at PO during hours.

Cannot usually be deposited by mobile deposit or most ATMs. Bank reason- chance of fraud.
Post offices can cash them but not high value money orders and not usually till the end of day.

Last edited by KenMi; 12/30/23.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don’t have a checkbook and haven’t for 10 years or better. If you’re doing a deal with me and you’re requiring a check, it’s no deal I guess.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Can't speak for anybody else

There's no option other than the blessed post
office in this area for shipping parcels and
receiving funds
No ups stores or fedex shipping stores

If not for the highly efficient and friendly postal
service, I wouldn't be able to do any trading
with the members on 24HCF

I personally haven't done that much business
as many here, but I haven't had any negative
anything with the transactions I've done with
any of the members, and they didn't have any
objectionable anything with sending me the
USPSMO's that I requested for payment of
what I offered for sale. If they had a problem,
I didn't hear about it.

JMO- I'm not in business to sell things.
What I've offered for sale is things that
I didn't have any use for for whatever
reason, and the buyers had need of.
The deal was beneficial to both parties
which is as it should be

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I get my money orders from my bank, dont cost me anything and they are covered if lost or cashed without receiving my item.

"The reason a dog has so many friends, He wags his tail instead of his tongue."

"I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, But when I do so do the neighbors."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SOME people do not like sending personal checking info....

I will take either and usually request check or MO, I do not care which.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why do some people insist on receiving payment via USPS money order? I don’t understand why receiving a personal check and waiting until it clears is risky to the seller. What am I missing? I use personal checks for payment frequently and receive them frequently without issue. Why pay the government to be a middleman?
Great question, I have had to chalk it up to ignorance. Getting reimbursed for a lost Money Order is pure grief and the wait time is crazy. I pass on anything with such stupidity. I do not do Pay Pal either, and in today's world of electronic banking my checks clear the night they are deposited. No more waiting like the old days.

Last edited by oneoneshot; 12/30/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oneoneshot
Great question, I have had to chalk it up to ignorance. Getting reimbursed for a lost Money Order is pure grief and the wait time is crazy. I pass on anything with such stupidity.

This! I bought something a few years ago that was $1500 and the buyer required a USPS MO. Ok, no problem. I make a trip to the PO, buy one and send it with tracking. It got lost, the PO won't do ANYTHING for 30 days and the seller still wanted his money. That $1500 item had $3k tied up for over 4 weeks until I could get a refund from the USPS and the seller paid. I think a MO gives a false sense of security.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I won’t do business with anyone who will only accept a postal MO. Not going to spend an hour driving back and forth to the PO then pay a fee.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I won’t do business with anyone who will only accept a postal MO. Not going to spend an hour driving back and forth to the PO then pay a fee.

Originally Posted by KenMi
They are more complicated on both ends

Only can be purchased at PO during hours.

Cannot usually be deposited by mobile deposit or most ATMs. Bank reason- chance of fraud.
Post offices can cash them but not high value money orders and not usually till the end of day.

Yep and yep. I don’t accept them or pay with them. Nothing I’m selling or buying worth the hassle of dealing with a money order.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I buy and sell a lot through the Campfire classifieds, and always state:

Will take personal check, USPS money order, cash or PayPal--whatever's handiest for the buyer.

Odds of making a sale go up considerably when you give the buyer the option.....

Might also mention that the only "difficulty" I've had in 20+ years of buying and selling stuff, both on the Campfire and through my website www.riflesandrecipes.com, was a bounced $10 check around 20 years ago--and the "buyer's" address was a seminary in the Midwest.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.