Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My winter project is to relearn reloading. I'm 50, last reloaded in my 20's. Always loaded with my Dad who passed June of 22. As I went about adulting, moving, coming home, getting married, having kids..... Dad kept me loaded on ammo. That man loved load development and "tinkering" more than shooting I think. I have all of his equipment, data, and supplies, but haven't done it in many years. Anyone recommend a best place to learn, read, eatch video on step by step to get rolling again? I'm thinking of starting with Dad's old reliable .30-06 165gr load that slayed numerous Pa Whitetails over the years. Better to re-start with bottle neck rifle, straight wall rifle, or revolver loads?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
HR IC

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Crap, the link doesn't work, but check out The ABCs of Reloading, a paperback available on Amazon

Last edited by auk1124; 12/19/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pick up a new Lyman reloading manual .. should be enough basic info in there to get the ball rolling again...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking of starting with Dad's old reliable .30-06 165gr load that slayed numerous Pa Whitetails over the years. Better to re-start with bottle neck rifle, straight wall rifle, or revolver loads?[/quote]

Powders sometimes change a bit over time so double check current load data for your dad's load before you start. Every gun is an individual so the start low and work you way up. Best accuracy has lots of variables. It sounds like you dad enjoyed figuring those out so I'm sure he'd be proud!

Better to load what you enjoy shooting the most wink

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
My winter project is to relearn reloading. I'm 50, last reloaded in my 20's. Always loaded with my Dad who passed June of 22. As I went about adulting, moving, coming home, getting married, having kids..... Dad kept me loaded on ammo. That man loved load development and "tinkering" more than shooting I think. I have all of his equipment, data, and supplies, but haven't done it in many years. Anyone recommend a best place to learn, read, eatch video on step by step to get rolling again? I'm thinking of starting with Dad's old reliable .30-06 165gr load that slayed numerous Pa Whitetails over the years. Better to re-start with bottle neck rifle, straight wall rifle, or revolver loads?

Try to remember what your dad taught you, then get his load manuals and read through all the "how to" sections. They will teach you some valuable lessons, from start to finish. You don't need to watch any videos on Youtube, some of those guys are doing it way fd up. They will only mislead you. A lot of us here are self taught, and that is sometimes the best way, because you learn on your own and remember what not to do, as well as what works best.

I load for efficiency and precision. Some things that I've learned that matters a whole lot is how you set up your dies, brass prep, how you have your powder measure, scale, and bench set up. Set the press up as rigidly as possible. You don't want any movement, when you operate your press, set up your scale on a separate surface than your press, somewhere closer to eye level, so you get a better reading on the scale, set your powder measure on a rock solid surface as well. You want to be comfortable when you load your ammo. You may be there for hours on end sometimes. Also realize that your loading area does not have to be huge. Your scale, powder measure, trickler and press don't take up a lot of room. This for example:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And my new set up where I live now:

You'll also find that a lot of guys that enjoy "tinkering" on their rifles, such as how your dad did, are very good handloaders as well. They strive to make things right, and that is what it takes to handload your own ammo. It requires a certain amount of awareness and aptitude. If you are committed to it, the rewards are bountiful. Good luck in your venture!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What might be your passion in terms of what do you like shooting? For me diffrent cartridges along the way increased my passion for shooting & in many cases reloading. Really what components do you have & what cartridges or disciplines interest you? Don't nessisarly need to share. Though sharing encourages reciprication.

For me 6mm ARC in a bolt gun was one of my latest cartridges that instilled my passion. though b4 that was the 6.5 grendel, 17 Hornady hornet, 17 Fireball & 204 ruger for example.

If I am not shooting the passion is not in me.

Guessing you have plenty of manuals.

If accuracy & bottle neck cartridges inspire you, A place like Accurate shooter.com may be a stepping stone for you. Other cartridge or dicplin specific forms exist that may compliment your intrest.

What cartridges & or disciplines peek your interest?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dive into that 30-06 load and rework it back up with current components. Make it work like you remember it working. Just doing that will bring back all the things you learned before, or give you ideas how to improve on it. Once you've remastered that load everything else will come easy.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a nice cozy setup you have there.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Most good reloading manuals have lots of good info on reloading but nothing on the actual process, the way to set up your bench, set up an efficient and safe series of steps and inspection techniques. I was a lucky young man as I had old timers like my neighbor Frank Snow who started Sierra bullets who loved to share and instruct. I basically learned by watching or stealing with my eyes. After a while I was entrusted with prepping and primering brass then watching how the powder measures were used. Noting that you never just flipped the handle but always did a couple of taps to get uniform weight. But that always depended on the powder. Stick powders needed more or harder taps and more checking on the scale. Ball powders were he easiest but every powder had to be tested. Mr. Snow always dumped like every four to five cases to confirm accuracy and with stick powder he’d trickle. This comment could go on forever but I’d suggest asking around and see if you can find a REAL reloader to let you set in. There is usually always somebody who likes to share his knowledge.

Good luck
Rick

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
Most good reloading manuals have lots of good info on reloading but nothing on the actual process, the way to set up your bench, set up an efficient and safe series of steps and inspection techniques. I was a lucky young man as I had old timers like my neighbor Frank Snow who started Sierra bullets who loved to share and instruct. I basically learned by watching or stealing with my eyes. After a while I was entrusted with prepping and primering brass then watching how the powder measures were used. Noting that you never just flipped the handle but always did a couple of taps to get uniform weight. But that always depended on the powder. Stick powders needed more or harder taps and more checking on the scale. Ball powders were he easiest but every powder had to be tested. Mr. Snow always dumped like every four to five cases to confirm accuracy and with stick powder he’d trickle. This comment could go on forever but I’d suggest asking around and see if you can find a REAL reloader to let you set in. There is usually always somebody who likes to share his knowledge.

Good luck
Rick

There are many reloading manuals that walk you through the process. Maybe you just didn't turn to those pages?? Some guys need their hands held though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Looks like a nice cozy setup you have there.

It sure is. I spend quite a bit of time there. Because I love spending time here:
Talk about cozy and peaceful. ^^^ That last picture is it.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
pick up a new Lyman reloading manual .. should be enough basic info in there to get the ball rolling again...

^^^Good advice, I like Lyman because they test a wide variety of components, for the most part real rifles in hunting lengths instead of the 'universal receiver, 26 inch test barrel'. Chapter 2 in 50th Ed is, ''Getting started safely'', a detailed 'how to'. They do have an equipment list of what you 'need', that I find to be a little overweight, if not obese...but that is just me.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Looking at the picture of your reloading area, it confirms what I have long suspected, (you don't show a press), so you are a Lee Loader man and just haven't come out of the closet yet. Quality, not quantity. Snork, guffaw, chortle. It's ok man, I love ya like a brother.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Looking at the picture of your reloading area, it confirms what I have long suspected, (you don't show a press), so you are a Lee Loader man and just haven't come out of the closet yet. Quality, not quantity. Snork, guffaw, chortle. It's ok man, I love ya like a brother.

You are funny. There is a press there my friend. You just have to put on your spectacles and look a little harder. ha ha..

My poor old Rockchucker is getting some miles on it. A little looser than when she was new..

BSA MAGA
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Man, you guys have fancier rigs than me. My press gets bolted to the kitchen table, and all my gear (sans components) fits into a big tupperware storage container in the closet when not in use. 😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man i dumped that POS press mounted priming tool 25 years ago.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52

You can make them work but they are a pain. I switched over to a bench primer many years ago.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickinColo
Originally Posted by Swifty52

You can make them work but they are a pain. I switched over to a bench primer many years ago.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yep.

Swifty
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I learned pre internet in my 20s with no mentor. Just good old fashioned manuals and I could turn out ammo that suited my needs. Every now and again I'll go back and pull out one of the old manuals and looks thru the how to sections. The old manuals seemed to have a much more practical explanation for things vs the technical analysis of some of the newer ones. Both are good, but for basic process I think the older ones are better. Ex Speer, Nosler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,049
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.