Print Thread
Hop To
#19050136 12/27/23
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Over this past year I'm seeing this brand mentioned more frequently. To the uninformed, what is the provenance of Bergara? thanks

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bergara barrels are made in Spain and are supposed to be very good. I have three of them, two on B-14 Hunter rifles and one on a CVA Accura muzzleloader. I bought the first B-14 here, used. It is a 30-06 and it shoots absolutely lights out. So, I bought a new one in 7mm-08. That took a little work to get to shoot as well as I like, but a few David Tubb lapping bullets did the trick. I shoot it out to 450 yards and get M.O.A. groups. A better shot might do even better. The Bergara actions are Remington 700 clones. I like them.

Link: https://www.bergara.online/us/barrels/

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm 1 for 3 with them. A B14 Hunter in 6.5CM shot very well. But no better, or worse than a Tikka I had in the same cartridge. The Hunter was at the time Bergara's lightest version, but it was significantly heavier than the Tikka. Even though I liked it well enough I had a chance to sell it for more than I paid, and I didn't need two 6.5CM rifles so I let it go.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/hunter-rifle/

But I liked it well enough to give a B14 Ridge in 308 a chance. The Ridge is a heavier barreled tactical/varmint weight rifle. I was disappointed in the accuracy. It was borderline acceptable for hunting, (1.5-2MOA), but I didn't buy it for hunting and wanted better. I tried several different loads and finally gave up and let it go.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14/ridge-rifle/

A couple of years later I gave the Wilderness Ridge in 308 a chance.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/b14wilderness/wilderness-ridge-rifle/

I really wanted to like this rifle, but it shot no better than the previous 308. I even sent it back to Bergara hoping it just needed some tweaking. They sent it back with a target with a .4" 3 shot group. Fired with 165gr Federal Gold Match ammo. It wouldn't do better than 1.5" with any of my loads that shot well under 1" in my other rifles. I wasn't going to pay $60 for 20 rounds of FGM ammo so I let that one go too.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have experience with only one Bergara, a B14 Ridge in 6.5 Creedmoor. It grouped well, but was in the middle of the pack of seven 6.5 CMs I've owned. (The most accurate of the seven was a Ruger American Predator.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ive been toying with getting one and my Buddy bought a BMR Carbon in 22 LR for running suppressed using eley subs.
All you can hear is the firing pin and it shot quarter size at 50 yards. Good enough for plinking critters in the back yard. Good trigger in it too.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had a B14 Ridge in 7mm08 that grouped very well with different bullets and powders. Was a little muzzle heavy and just wasn't something I couldn't live without. So, when a friend liked it more than I did, I sold it to him. Wouldn't have a problem buying another Bergara but would be a different model.

Last edited by railman58; 12/31/23.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I got a B14 Wilderness Hunter in 308win last year. I like it. It reminds me of a Model 700 or maybe a lighter Howa 1500. Fits me and functions well. I haven't done much bench work with it, but it shoots 150gr Hornady American Whitetail and my handloads of 165gr Sierra Hpbt Gamekings both around 1in.

Overall I like it a lot it and it's become the gun I grab first to go deer hunting. I only use it for whitetails and where I hunt most of my shots are under 200 yards so your mileage may vary.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
They are headquartered in the Atlanta area.

They are big supporters of the SCI Chapter I am in.

The company is community focused and is a big time employer of veterans.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have one chambered in 22-250, no complaints.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had B-14 wilderness hunters a 6.5 CM and a .243, I got them used in a trade for about 15 guns in a estate, they shot well with my hand loads but i never cared for the balance and weight of them so down the road they went. Rio7

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a CVA (owned by Bergara) Cascade XT (barrel made by Bergara) in 308 Win. It groups better than most 308s I’ve ever owned. For $700 the rifle is well made and comes with cerecote, muzzle break, bases, and camo stock. Hunted with it this past December and came home with appropriate venison for 16 legs worth. The load is Starline brass, 45 gr of Varget and 150 gr TTSX.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
O and I forgot to mention the Bergara that I bought from Cabelas with the fiber wrapped barrel. Well, I don’t own it anymore.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
They are headquartered in the Atlanta area.

They are big supporters of the SCI Chapter I am in.

The company is community focused and is a big time employer of veterans.

That's good to hear.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a B14 Woodsman in 6.5CM with the prettiest wood stock on any production rifle I have seen in years. I have shot more 1/2MOA or smaller groups with this rifle than any rifle I have ever owned. Not every time but often enough to know it is a good shooter and easily meets their 3 shot in 1" guarantee. I also recently picked up a Tikka Lite in 6.5CM. I believe the Tikka may shoot a bit better but it sure has a lot of plastic parts on it, no where near as pretty as the Bergara.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have one of the Bergara Premier series rifles, a Mountain 2.0 in 6.5 PRC. Can't say enough good about this firearm- it is accurate with several different loads, very well made, and with a Leupold VX3 HD 4.5-14 scope and Talley rings, an overall weight of 7.3 pounds- very easy to carry, yet not 'ultralight' to the point of being hard to shoot accurately. It has simple, clean lines, a carbon fiber stock, and the Bergara barrels have a great rep for accuracy. It has been a great pronghorn rifle for the past two seasons.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had several B-14s over the past several years, a couple 6.5CM a 270 Win and 300WM, good friend has an HMR in 6.5CM. I had a Ridge in 6.5CM and sold it to get a Terrain in 6.5CM, both shot under MOA but just couldn't get used to the weight of the Terrain so sold it. The 300WM and my friends HMR will cut ragged holes, but took some time to find the right load. The 300WM likes 4831 and 190gr Berger bullets and his HMR likes 6.5 Staball and 143 ELD-X. The 270 is no slouch at around 3/4 MOA. Like others said they're 700 compatible so you can do about anything with it aftermarket. The con is the weight, unless you get into the higher end fiber stocks and such. They also made barrels for other companies, someone here said Kimber barrels that have a B stamped on the breech face are Bergara barrels. My wife has a Kimber with a Bergara barrel and it's a shooter too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.