Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Our house is small and my garage is big. It is 30x36 with an 12x22 shed on the back end. That leaves an 8x12 corner in which I could build a reloading room and get my reloading and shooting stuff out of the garage and the sawdust. I have dust collection but there’s still always a layer of fine sawdust in the shop.

I plan to well insulate this room. The shop is heated with propane and I keep it about 50 unless I’m doing some finishing or painting.

I’m seeking your thoughts on heating this room. Electric baseboard or propane. I wouldn’t go ventless propane because it puts so much moisture in the room. I would do a direct vent to mitigate the moisture issue if I go propane over electric. I don’t want to go the space heater route. I prefer to have a more permanent set up. I plan to keep it about 60 in the room so I have a consistent temperature most of the year. Your thoughts?

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 12x12 room I use for reloading in corner of me garage, I use a portable oil radiator for heat and am nice and toasty when its 30* outside.

I got mine from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/PROUS-Whole-...mp;mcid=ab28c8a845593d748205fa44e22f2931

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Live dangerously. Use a wood stove in there.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 160user
Live dangerously. Use a wood stove in there.

I had to remove the wood stove from our garage. Our insurance won’t cover a detached garage with a wood stove. I can use a wood stove in the house though.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'd spend $100 on an electric oil filled radiator and call it good. I've got a couple of them around here. Leave one on for a couple of hours and it'll turn an 8X12 space into a sauna.

IC B2

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought briefly about the portable oil or kerosun heaters but don’t want to worry about it being filled and running when I’m gone. I’m on keep full with the propane if I opt for that.

Last edited by mart; 12/31/23.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Tansun
I have a 12x12 room I use for reloading in corner of me garage, I use a portable oil radiator for heat and am nice and toasty when its 30* outside.

I got mine from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/PROUS-Whole-...mp;mcid=ab28c8a845593d748205fa44e22f2931

One of these would be an easy answer. They're cheap to run too as the oil stays hot in there for a while.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of those oil radiators or electric baseboard heat

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'd spend $100 on an electric oil filled radiator and call it good. I've got a couple of them around here. Leave one on for a couple of hours and it'll turn an 8X12 space into a sauna.
I’m sitting three feet from mine in my 12x16 hunting cabin in Alabama. I put in on the max when I get back from my afternoon hunt. In an hour I have to turn it down to the minimum watts. Last night it got down in the high 20s. I had Morning coffee in a nice toasty cabin. I did a lot of research on heaters when I was buying stuff this cabin. For me this electric oil filled radiant heater seemed to check all the boxes. It has worked out great.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by mart
I thought briefly about the portable oil or kerosun heaters but don’t want to worry about it being filled and running when I’m gone. I’m on keep full with the propane if I opt for that.

Well,...okay. But I can't imagine a heating source that's safer than an electric oil filler radiator. I've got one beside my chair to keep the chill off. It pretty much runs all day throughout the winter...been doing it for 5 or 6 years.

Considering their low price and the low cost of using them, I consider them one of the best heating devices to come along in recent history. Obviously, they use a little bit of electricity. But not enough to make your eyes bug out when the electric bill comes--maybe $15 a month.

I can't imagine using anything else to heat an 8X12 room. They're the perfect answer for that application.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A mini-split system would probably be your best bet, then you could also air condition it in the summer.

You'll want to do a little research and size it properly.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am not sure everyone is on the same page here.

These oil FILLED heaters as recommended above are 110 V electric. I have one in our living room to warm that part of the house while allowing the rest of the house to stay at a cooler, more comfortable temperature.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

A reloadig room would be a perfect application for one as they have no hot surfaces to initiate combustion. At its highest settig, 1500 watts, I can lay my had on any part of ours.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reload faster

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
A mini-split system would probably be your best bet, then you could also air condition it in the summer.

Up here at 3750 feet I think we used our AC in the house 2 or 3 days last year.

I may have to rethink the oil filled electric portable. My original thought was since this would be new construction it would be the time to build something into the room.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anybody mentioned a Torpedo Yet?... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I 3rd (or whatever place I am in line) the electric oil filled radiator. Cheap, simple, safe, and will drive you out of the room if you leave it on long enough.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

These oil FILLED heaters as recommended above are 110 V electric. I have one in our living room to warm that part of the house while allowing the rest of the house to stay at a cooler, more comfortable temperature.

A reloadig room would be a perfect application for one as they have no hot surfaces to initiate combustion. At its highest settig, 1500 watts, I can lay my had on any part of ours.

+1

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

These things are great. They're cheap to buy, cheap to operate, and they work great.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Up here at 3750 feet I think we used our AC in the house 2 or 3 days last year.

I may have to rethink the oil filled electric portable. My original thought was since this would be new construction it would be the time to build something into the room.

My biggest reason for A/C is to keep humidity down, better for components, ammo, and guns.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anything but electric... added a small 240v electric heater in my small workshop to supplement my NG tube heater... added $400 a month to heat bill... lesson learned...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (160user, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,559
Posts18,510,609
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.